• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Repurposed bags or pouches

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Just wonderin if anyone else out there has a bag or pouch intended for one thing that you have repurposed to fit your needs.

For example, I have several mil-surp MOLLE grenade pouches. I can put a 5 round box of shotgun shells in each, or a 2 way radio like the motorollas, a small gps or a compass. They arent water proof at all but they work for what I intend them for and can be used with MOLLE compatible hydration packs/vests. So for say like hiking camping and hunting it works pretty well.

I'm searching pawn shops for the right electric guitar case...to transport my Mossberg 500...and a few other goodies!

MARIACHICASE.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCO2NpAQV8&tracker=False[/youtube]

I have an M-16 magazine pouch that my son uses for Nerf darts. :D

I have U.S. military ammo cans filled with ... ammo ... maybe that isn't re-purposing. :oops:

Cool! That movie was on today I think!!!

Hey Mud! Something else that would be cool for nerf would be like a LBV set up with the fold out shingles for a shotgun!

Here's mine. I carry my pistol range gear in a large Canon camera bag...

I like the padded dividers for separating pistols and ammo...

There's a wide pocket underneath the lid that's perfect for my extended mags...

The side pockets hold about a dozen mags each...

The front pocket is perfect for carrying eye protection, ear plugs, tools, etc...

It is a good idea, I think i have an old camcorder bag that would work!

That is a good idea, I have a ton of camera bags laying around.

I have an older Eddie Bauer brand carry on that I bought back around 2002 when I worked for their retail chain. It was a pricey, ballistic nylon bag at the time, but 10 years later I can say that it was worth every penny. I used it to carry music accessories for years, but for the past few years it has served as a range bag. It's been great.

I'm of the opinion that the best range bags are nondescript. If it says Ruger, Beretta, Canon, Nikon, etc. it says "hey, I'm valuable." I know we don't leave our range bags laying around, but for the few times I have had to leave my bag unattended in a locked car, it has been reassuring that the bag was not advertising itself as valuable.

A while back a buddy of mine was looking into range bags & I suggested he look into diaper bags. He ended up with an inexpensive diaper bag from Target that he says works great. Apparently the diaper pouches fit PMags perfectly! Ironically, he's now a father & his diaper bag was made by Maxpedition.

Thats awesome, on both accounts!

I agree with the non descript thing... On a related note, largely because of where I work, I leave trash in my car. My theory is that if I have some work clothes and empty pop boxes and cans, a few empty cigarette boxes etc., I can have other things hidden in there and it all just looks like junk. I'm not in the habit of carrying valuables in the car to leave unattended all day, but I sometimes have other things to do after work and it beats diggin through a garbage can each time... :D

Re: Repurposed bags or pouches - Thrift Store Find

Got this Five Star expanding (the extra zipper) school bag for $.99 at the thrift store and with stuff I had at the house turned it into a 3 mag AR holder and / or a shot shell dump bag. I added the two spring belt clips (for holsters that I never built). It had 3 grommets and I added 2 holes with a punch. I cut a strip of reinforced top grain leather that was a scrap and ran that across the top back for support. The whole thing is held together with Chicago Screws and Locktite. I let it dry overnight and slapped it on a gun belt this AM - with two pockets (one is larger) I can hold 3 Magpul AR mags horizontally with zippers closed or one mag and a bunch of shot shell (need to count) OR 2 mags and fewer shells (I have plenty of pistol mag holders). Not bad for $.99, + stuff around the house and less than an hour time. I grabbed it at the thrift store knowing it would work for me in some regard even just to help me tidy the range bag. Time for some field testing!! :D

7156560467_da9b515688.jpg

7156559849_1b05e215dc.jpg

7341762994_66be072802.jpg

Shot in a mirror - three 30 round mags inside

7341763648_04988917dc.jpg

...and an extra front mesh pouch for tissues when you shoot badly (too bad it wont hold a pistol mag!

I've actually done this several times.

I have a plain and unmarked small green crossbow case that I often use to transports my short barrel guns and machinegun and silencer in sometimes when I am wanting to be a little more discreet. It looks a lot like one of the old laptop cases.

And I also came across some Finnish gas mask bags that I picked up for a buck a piece that will carry grouse, squirrels, rabbits, shells, mags, or act as a dump pouch, etc. It is OD green and can either be carried around your shoulder like Indiana Jones, or on a belt. Is probably 6 or 8 inches wide and a foot deep and will carry 36 round stick mags with room to spare, and the top cover can even be snapped closed and has a couple divider pockets inside.

Those are actually very handy bags for a dollar.

Yeah - like a fanny pack I could easily carry more than a BUG in this and the geek look (the blue with logo is hardly tactical) works for me - cost too!. I've been looking for multi gun mag and shell pouches and even what they want at Mil Sup shops is kind of appalling.

Next project is bicycle carry. Spandex bibs won'y take any weight. I'm thinking fanny pack or neck sling - we'll see but soon, I'm riding more and in the city.

Nice mingaa!

Yeah, the bike situation can get a bit tricky. I ride some single track and do a lot of road biking as well. Not a whole lotta room to hide a pistol in them shorts eh! :lol:

Three-gun on a budget!!

Point 2 - solve bike carry. I really want the gun on my person rather than the bike. I'm thinking fanny pack with the Taurus 709 - we'll see (soon).

Thats some good stuff Mingaa!

John, I've used the gas mask bag for quail too!

Just repurposed a hydration pack for use with my compound bow.

I can carry six arrows in quiver on my bow, but wanted a way to carry extra arrows without having to use one of those noisy belt quivers or shell out the cash for one of the expensive quiver packs I've seen out there. Figured I could repurpose a few items to accomplish my goal.

My Bear Legion is in done Realtree APG HD...

Here's the hydration pack I found at BassPro done in Realtree AP HD...

Picked up this cheap quiver...

...it fits snugly down into the pack and after cinching down the pack's adjustment straps the rest of my arrows are held firm at the ready...

With a quick pull toward my shoulders, the arrows easily break free and the quiver doesn't move at all. The set-up is super quiet with no rattle and the best part is that it required no modification or any of the components. There are several pockets for my release and other gear as well as an insulated 2.0 liter hydration bladder. Not a bad set-up considering I only put about $50 into it...

Back