• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rifled slug selection

ZombieHunterD

.270 WIN
Depending on when my compstock comes in for my m500 ill be going to the range todo some reliability testing with my new pump. I'll be shooting buckshot and slugs. I will either be buying my ammo from Wal-Mart or ordering from brownells. Is there a value slug that performs better over another? Remington, Winchester etc. High velocity? I don't mind shooting full power loads. It will give me a chance to see if the recoil system works and how well at that. I will also be trying out acouple boxes of the military grade 00 buckshot if anyone is interested in hearing about that.
Thanks

I'd suggest getting a couple boxes each of Brenneke and Foster style slugs and try them against each other. It won't be cheap. About $2/shot for them. There's also several different styles/loads for each basic design. Brenneke is a solid slug and will penetrate deeper, Foster is a hollow base slug that will normally pancake on entry and therefore not penetrate as deeply. Point is you should be clear in your mind on your definition of "performance".

This thread may save you a little time and money: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6831&p=91531#p91531

For now im just trying to get some slugs to have fun with at the range and familiarize myself with my gun and how it shoots. I checked out 2 walmarts today on my lunch break and no slugs at all. Also brownells is all sold out.
Any other places you guys buy ammo online? Ill have to check academy when i get off work.
thanks for the link

Brenneke USA makes an awesome slug! if you can find any of them online or in-store I wouldn't hesitate! The "KO" slugs are amazing and the Black Magic Magnum 3" is even better! lol I hope you like a thump, because there is plenty of it with both!

Cheap Remington Sluggers are good too as are Federal Slugs (Tru-Ball or Tactical HP)

Rick

ZombieHunterD said:
For now im just trying to get some slugs to have fun with at the range and familiarize myself with my gun and how it shoots. I checked out 2 walmarts today on my lunch break and no slugs at all. Also brownells is all sold out.
Any other places you guys buy ammo online? Ill have to check academy when i get off work.
thanks for the link

I don't buy online at all. If I need something, I'll order it thru my LGS. You might want to do the same, since they have more resources available than you do as a private citizen. By doing that, it helps them stay in business, and fosters a good working relationship for the future, which is to your benefit as well as theirs. Small businesses value loyal customers far more than some impersonal giant chain or on-line source. I usually get discounts, and/or waiver of sales tax from my local shop and I don't have to pay shipping costs or worry about identity theft and so on. They take care of me, and I take care of them.

Walmart always has the Remington Sluggers. The best value is $11.49 for 15 slugs. That is if you don't want to buy online or travel a distance, assuming a Walmart is within short distance as they always seem to be lol I can consistently hit gong at 100yds and 3/5 at 150yds with them and an 18.5" barrel. Comes with plenty of practice and slugs are a specialty of my, at least I like to think haha.

GunnyGene, I wish I could say the same about Loyal Customers... I seem to get screwed more then anything but maybe it is because I am young.. who knows.. Always give them a chance though!

Itsricmo said:
Walmart always has the Remington Sluggers. The best value is $11.49 for 15 slugs. That is if you don't want to buy online or travel a distance, assuming a Walmart is within short distance as they always seem to be lol I can consistently hit gong at 100yds and 3/5 at 150yds with them and an 18.5" barrel. Comes with plenty of practice and slugs are a specialty of my, at least I like to think haha.

GunnyGene, I wish I could say the same about Loyal Customers... I seem to get screwed more then anything but maybe it is because I am young.. who knows.. Always give them a chance though!

It takes time. I've known Mitch (local shop owner) for 40+ years. We also trade veggies from our gardens. :) I know this kind of long term relationship is very unusual in this day and age, but if you can do it, it really pays off.

GunnyGene said:
It takes time... but if you can do it, it really pays off.

ROGER THAT! I have tried it at 2 places but have been burnt both times. One guy woke up and just had too much of himself for breakfast and the other I found out just befriends people until he can get one over on them by making you think you are getting a deal but really he is making out BIG TIME... sadly it seems to be a trend lately

Winchester was fairly good

Remmington was kinda spotty not great groups

Federal Truball full power slugs had a tight group

Best group ever.... brenneke HD slugs low recoil. I never felt the recoil and it nailed what I was aiming at 50 yards away. But these babies are expensive!

lol that is one way of putting it :D

I was at a LGS and he had them for $35/10... a little better but still high way robbery! Gander is trying to sell the LE version of "Green Lightning" for $20/5.. amazing people are buying them before the Federal Tru-ball at $5.99/5... Better Slug and Better Price IMHO.

I hope all this is helping the OP.. sorry I kind of jack the thread real quick, mate.

Yeah I was looking for sluggers since they can be had for cheap but all sold out. I've been checking for all the ones you guys suggested and sold out everywhere. I can find buckshot easy. Slugs are a different story.
Most of the gunshops here don't carry as much shotguns stuff. Plus they are pretty over priced. It would be nice to get to know someone like that, but I just don't have the money to shoot all the time. Wish I did though. Lol
I'll he searching for ammo the next two days locqlly. If no luck ll just have to order online and go shooting next weekend.
Thanks so far guys

Pretty abusive round? I'm just thinking I want to start practicing with slugs for 100 yards and less for hunting in the future. Mainly deer and smaller. I've heard a lot of people comment favorably about Brenneke ammunition. Any suggestions?

Back