• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rifled slug selection

Chris C said:
Pretty abusive round? I'm just thinking I want to start practicing with slugs for 100 yards and less for hunting in the future. Mainly deer and smaller. I've heard a lot of people comment favorably about Brenneke ammunition. Any suggestions?

In my conversations with Brenneke, they recommended the 2 3/4" Green Lightning for deer, hog, and similar. It's a powerful round that will reach out to 100+ yds easily. I bought 10 boxes today, in fact. I'll be using them in my 590 Mariner 20"barrel. Personally, I think the 3" would be overkill for most N. American game, except grizz, moose, or similar.

I posted the specs on the Green Lightning here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6831&p=91531#p91531 . If you email Brenneke, they'll send you similar info on their other products. A lot of info is also in their catalog, which you can download: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brenneke ... logue.html

Thanks, Gunny.............I'll check them out.

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

Chris C said:
Brenneke makes a 3" Magnum slug. Can I use that in my new Mossie 500?
Your gun should be able to handle it as long as your barrel has a 3" stamped on it. Bot sure if alll mossy barrels are, I know some rem are 23/4 only.

Mines stamped for 3". But not being familiar with all of this, I think I'll take Gunny's suggestion and just stick with the 2 3/4". Now if I could just find some!!!!!!!!!! I've checked on-line until I'm blue in the face and can't find one single Green Lighting slug anywhere............much less a box or more! :eek: The "anointed one" sure has been good for the firearms industry. Shame he couldn't have done the same for all other industry and the economy!

I looked at a lot of sites for slugs and noticed those were sold out at most places. Li.da expensive to practice with. Maybe u should use reg slugs at first then switch.
That one site I posted has rem, win.and federal slugs available

ZombieHunterD said:
I looked at a lot of sites for slugs and noticed those were sold out at most places. Li.da expensive to practice with. Maybe u should use reg slugs at first then switch.
That one site I posted has rem, win.and federal slugs available

I mentioned this in a previous post, but going on-line to find ammo is likely not going to bear fruit. Your local gun store has more resources and connections than you do, and likely has a friend or 2 at the distributor. Believe it or not, a gun store can get ammo you can't get because of who they know and their business relationship. Distributor's like Ellett Brothers, have ammo that they keep available for their best friends and best customers (retail outlets). They will tell dealers who are not on good terms with them that they don't have whatever is being asked for or that it will be many months before they do.

Go to your LGS, find out who they buy from and if they are on good terms with the distributor. Order thru the LGS.

One other thing: Anti-gun States are being deliberately starved of ammo and guns.

I live in Oklahoma, Gunny....................we are definately a 2nd Amendment and Bible loving state! Guess that' puts us on the Terrorist List, huh! :lol: I'll check with some more local shops............but I've found nothing yet. Wearing out tires on my truck! :D

Chris C said:
I live in Oklahoma, Gunny....................we are definately a 2nd Amendment and Bible loving state! Guess that' puts us on the Terrorist List, huh! :lol: I'll check with some more local shops............but I've found nothing yet. Wearing out tires on my truck! :D

Local fella I met a couple weeks ago here in MS was heading out to OK to kill some hogs on land he owns there. He was buying up a bunch of .308 here because Mitch had it in stock, and he didn't think he'd be able to buy it in OK.

It's all about who you know, and who they know.

Yup, know what you mean. I don't know anyone in the firearms industry, so that will probably put me on the bottom of the list! :lol:

Chris C said:
Yup, know what you mean. I don't know anyone in the firearms industry, so that will probably put me on the bottom of the list! :lol:

Well, that's up to you to remedy. I'd suggest bringing a pizza or two for the staff at your local gun shop right around lunch time. :) Point is, if you make the effort to become a good customer and friend, most will return in kind. :)

Too many people have forgotten the benefits of personal relationships with those they do business with. The internet is the absolute opposite of what makes a good business relationship, as are large chain retailers.

Chris C said:
Good points, Gunny.

Case in point: I gave a mediuim size chunk of really nice mesquite to a local gunsmith/knife maker a couple years ago, just because I liked his work. I may, or may not, go see him this year about a knife, but I know that if I do he will sell me one of his custom skinners a lot cheaper than he would to anyone else. :)

Gunny- I went to 2 local places. First one I went didn't have any selection of shotgun ammo, and when I asked if I can special order anything the guy looked at me and said, "yeah, you and everyone else". Needless to say I wont be bringing them any pizza or wood. Second place I went to I've been there before when I wanted to buy a walther ppq 40 when they came out. Guy told me he would put one on there next batch and would call me. 2 months later and many calls/emails stillno ppq. After that I went online and ordered a Beretta px4 40 cal in 5 mins and had it to my ffl in 3 weeks, saving more than $150 on that purchase. So I've tried locally, don't know if I look to young, should start stuffing my wallet so it looks fat in my back pocket. But all my experiences haven't been that great.
I'm not sure where you are, but I'm in Texas, and the demand is super high around here.

Demand is so high here they usually won't even answer their phones. I was at H&H Shooting Sports in Oklahoma City the other day, and the line for the range was an hour and a half long...............at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday........ :eek: .......they've got something like 55 lanes and are adding 6 more! I called about Brenneke Green Lightening Slugs tonight. Waited on hold for 15 minutes and gave up and left my name. They just called back (two hours later) and when I asked about the slugs, he just laughed. Said he'd not seen them on the shelf in over a month and had no idea if/when they'd be getting any in. (Thank you, "Dear Leader"!) :evil: Think I'd go broke taking them pizza for lunch and still not get what I needed.

Zombie, Chris. Everyone has different situations and experiences and I'm truly sorry that many folks are having difficulties such as you've both described. All I can do is go by my own experience and wonder why such a tiny mom&pop shop (literally) out in the sticks in MS is better able to serve their customers than a larger store with presumably more buying clout.

Y'all are probably right about the volume demand in your areas being a large part of the problem, but it seems to me that a well run business would be able to adapt to a sudden surge fairly quickly, all the way up the supply chain to the mines for the raw materials. This has been building for years, so I'm suspicious that something else is going on.

In terms of keeping the supply pipeline full, it's no different than any other manufacturing operation. Sudden surges in demand are not a unique phenomenon and are planned for by well run businesses.

I wish y'all success in your searches for ammo/guns. :)

Here's a good article on supply chain management for the ammo industry written in 2009: http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files/1 ... 0-512.html

Totally feel your pain in regards to ammo availability guys. 12ga supply around here has pretty well dried up.....I grabbed the last 100rd box of target loads that Wal-Mart had tonight, just because I knew a friend of mine had just bought a new shotgun yesterday and could use them. Slugs and large buckshot are impossible to get unless you work at the ammo counter or at the gun shop yourself. 22lr is worth it's weight in gold......9mm is being resold for around a buck a bang......

Oddly enough, .40S&W isn't too hard to get ahold of right now.....most places seem to have some. May not be the "good" stuff, but it's shootable practice ammo.

People are reselling ammo for stupid prices over here. There is a listing for that orlin military buckshot for $20! Cost leas than $5 at Wal-Mart when they have it. Nothing but birdshot around here. Intact I ordered way more than what I need from targetsportsusa just so I can sell some to buddies at cost.
I wish I could find 40 ammo, its harder to find then the 9 or 38. Kinda wish I had a 45 cause I was seeing that everywhere, now that's disapperaring too.

I feel like locating.ammo is a full time job on its own. I snagged up acouple of Winchester super x.slugs to play with $3 abox. Hollow point, not sure how these will perform, but ill use them first when dialing in my green dot.

Back