• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rip's model 37 project.

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
JEfYnl.jpg

SYZVnl.jpg

These are the "before" pix.....notice the rust?...

I tried the perma blue method. it sucks. all the edges did not look good. they were a rust colored, which was probably rust. I did everything I could to follow the directions, watched a bunch of videos, yet it seems it's not a good method.....

dAC8al.jpg

hhsAKl.jpg

09Bi7l.jpg

And it looks even worse today....so I need to de-blue it....again.. :roll:

then tried the flame method and dunking it oil. no luck.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyxcNdSA2s&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL1C6F04BCA11F6A48[/youtube]

so i'm probably going to end up just painting it. i really can't be doing to much stupid stuff to it. so far i had only tried to blue the forearm slide tube, trigger and some screws. i did however practice on some old tools i had cleaned up. they came out the same. so i just wanted to be sure it was still going to be the same result as the tools, yet i was only willing to sacrifice some parts of it and not try to do the job on the barrel or receiver in case it messes it up somehow. (tempering it)...

Anyhow..I did sand the stock and forearm and then stained it an ebony color. a few coats more and it will be the color i'm looking to achieve. I will post up some pix in a moment of the process i have so far...

EIt6ul.jpg

BLFp0l.jpg

jT1Ygl.jpg

mwjULl.jpg

iobjfl.jpg

A slightly broken forend.... Looks like my Gramps fixed it once before....

ZZKdJl.jpg

z0qyil.jpg

VtlgBl.jpg

VtlgBl.jpg

The changes are very subtle but they are there if you look really hard...lol.I'm kidding..

tzBQ1l.jpg

This is the forearm slide tube after perma blue, however it's edges went rusted up, so I sanded it up, but no pix...

8r12ll.jpg

i1BWwl.jpg

The slightly broken forend, after I sanded.

3ifJ4l.jpg

ASHCul.jpg

LXAYdl.jpg

F2Ndpl.jpg

DBo2zl.jpg

yfNnol.jpg

Can't even tell it's the side that's broken...

I'm much better at woodworking than metal working..... :oops:

More pix to come later. I need to put a few more coats of stain on the furniture to get it looking more the way I want it to be. I'd like it to be really dark but still able to see the grain...

Also need to figure out what to do with the blue situation....

:oops: :shock: :cry: :roll:

SWEET, nice work rip!

It's really coming along great. Lookin forward to seeing it all come together...

I'm puttin some polyurathane on the stock & forend right now. First coats on.

oh man...this thing's action is buttery smooth now!!!!!

Real nice re-finish job on her so far rip !!

I'm not a bluing expert so I can't offer any advice... other than to keep trying till something works !!

Good luck...( and good pics ! )

l9kixl.jpg

fMnmCl.jpg

LoQYwl.jpg

^^need a few more coats of poly and rub it with 0000 steel wool

Gr4Ddl.jpg

XpQIHl.jpg

ripjack13 said:
More pix to come later. I need to put a few more coats of stain on the furniture to get it looking more the way I want it to be. I'd like it to be really dark but still able to see the grain...

Also need to figure out what to do with the blue situation....

:oops: :shock: :cry: :roll:

Just have the whole bad boy parkerized.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

That's possible later on. At the moment I just painted it with truck bed liner paint. It has a rough surface to it'll feel like it's not going to slip outa my hands...

I prefer the Birchwood casey gun blue PASTE over the cold dip. I've never had a lot of success from the dip.

The paste, you can squirt it directly onto the piece being blued and wait about 30 minutes before wiping it off and that's about all it takes.

I recently had a 22 barrel threaded and didn't want to keep the exposed metal in the white, so I used the paste on it.

barrelbluing002.jpg

barrelbluing004.jpg

Holy Smokes RipJack!!! Man, just totally impressed!

Youve come a long way with that and have really well!

here's a few more....

5ELKtl.jpg

^^the spots are the lighting...

Df1kXl.jpg

hogl0l.jpg

^^see? no spots...

Back