• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rossi's Complete AR... Mod.

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
So you already know I'm expecting my first rifle, an Olympic Arms Plinker Plus Flat Top, (PPFT) AR15 16" carbine!

But, like anything else, I cant leave it alone.

I'll post up what I'm doin as I go. I'll show yall pics and let you know how it works for me... hopefully start getting pics from the range too!

I'll start getting pics up as soon as I'm able, but I could wait to get started on the thread! :D

Thanks Lazy!

I fear it wont be altogether as exciting as what a few of you guys have done, but it will be my own and from a complete gun, so hopefully another perspective in that regard.

everyones needs/styles/wants are different...dont compare your gun to anyone elses, if it works for you the way you want it then rock n roll

Thanks Ross, now we all get to sit here in anticipation for it to come in too...
Jeez

Can't wait for pics/initial impressions!

robtech87 said:
everyones needs/styles/wants are different...dont compare your gun to anyone elses, if it works for you the way you want it then rock n roll

My sentiments exactly.

Looking forward to seeing the topic updated.

Brad,

I'm about to get some sleep but first let me assure you that knowing the high quality of everthang you touch I think your personalized rifle will be outstanding!

Just don't hang too many gadgets on it right off. That can be done over time, if you first shoot it and still feel the need... the need.... for speed.

images

Awesome Brad...great choice on the brand you selected too !!

And, if you require any help along the way, we all are here for you... :cool:

Thanks fellas! I had hoped on getting a few pics uploaded tonight... but its not gonna happen. Tired... I can link up some stock photos for now! ;)

Heres what I'm starting with!

Olympic Arms PPFT
Plinker_Plus_Fla_4e53c9e2dd19f.jpg

I'm adding irons and a red dot;

I have the Leapers UTG A2 styled railed gas block mount front sight.
Leaper's Inc.
ARR-108.jpg

But I have the ARMS® 41-B Folding Front Sight and integral gas block on the way!
SWFA, ARMS 41B
44a552f567ff7f379bf1064c8908fbec.jpg

For the rear I have the Magpul MBUS in FDE;
Magpul MBUS rifle sights
MBUS%20Gen%202%20FDE%20Front%20&%20Rear.jpg

I'm using my Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 red dot. I just painted it and it closely resembles FDE. Here it is before paint mounted on my 500 Persuader!
197526_1682927068097_1085205913_31463285_7589702_n.jpg

For the grip I have the CAA UPG16 (thank you LES for getting me hooked up) only in khaki but with the interchangable front and back straps in black!
Command Arms UPG16
UPG16_item__54727_zoom.jpg

SAP on the rear will be the Magpul ASAP;
Magpul ASAP
thumbnail.asp

Thats all i really wanna do for now!!!

Whoa...damn man !!

Did you hit the lottery ?!

Real nice add-ons...

SHOOTER13 said:
Whoa...damn man !!

Did you hit the lottery ?!

Real nice add-ons...

:lol: Dont I wish! Nah... Been saving, + a little from tax returns, + lots of shoppin around! Diligence, persistence, and patience! Heck, I started lookin for parts about the time I decided on the rifle, and I got a couple real good scores at the gun show that came to town! :D

Another lesson here for me was that it doesnt pay to get your heart set on something without reviewing the rest of the field. I found that being open to ideas and suggestions from others really opened up alot of options. Take the sights for instance; Originally what I really wanted was a set of Troy tritium Battle Sights. That would set me back about $350 easy!!!

Moral of the story:
If youre building on a budget, be patient and willing to shop around with an open mind!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hey nitesite...

You can be my wingman anytime...

L.E.S. ~ The feeling is mutual, I assure you. Thank you.

Rossignol, as long as you're not beating the living heck out of your sights you'll never have a problem with the Magpuls and you'll never really miss the Troys.

NiteSite, thats what I'm thinkin too and I dont anticipate any issues!

I'm really pleased with the way its shaping up, not too fancy... but a fine rifle! I'm only putting on what I need to for it to be functional and I'll add ergonomics as I see fit!

I do also have the Magpul ASAP!
Magpul ASAP
thumbnail.asp

also added this to the earlier post.

I like using a single point sling, so this will be perfect!

Seriously, in all, by hitting the gun shows and shopping around continuously online, I have saved lotsa $$$! Especially at the gun show, by saving on shipping, plus the parts being sold below any retail I've seen online!!! Like PMags @ $14 even, the Federal XM for $5 per 20, Magpul MBUS for $48... and so on! It may not seem like much, but it adds up! But noit enough I'm gonna splurge on the Troy! :lol:

I'm really diggin it all! Now who can tell me how to change the gas block! :lol:

Rossignol said:
Now who can tell me how to change the gas block! :lol:

Gas blocks are easy. Just be careful lining the gas port in the barrel up with the new gas block when you get the new one slid back in place. If you don't, it's not going to cycle right, or may not lock the bolt back on the last shot when the mag is empty.

I haven't seen any detail pics of the specific gas block Oly is using on the PPFT, but chances are better than not, it's going to use set screws.

First, pull the bolt out of the upper and take the upper off of the lower to make things easier to work on. Then unscrew the flash hider and remove it and the washer.

Next, loosen the setscrews on the gas block and slide the gas block off of the barrel.

Then drive out the little roll pin that is holding the gas tube in place and move it over to the new gas block and reinstall in reverse order.

Here's a little writeup I did a few years ago. It isn't specifically about the gas block, more about exchanging the upper, barrel or forend swap so not all of these steps will be required, but does give some detailed pics of taking the gas block off.

http://www.modularweapons.com/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=113

Back