• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger Security Six 150 prefix grips

I am helping a friend work on a project gun of his. It is a Ruger Security Six .357 revolver that he picked up recently. It was only fired about 20 rounds and was put in a cardboard box in someones basement for decades.

Unfortunetely it became pitted with rust in several places because of how it was stored and not properly cared for. The bore is in amazing shape so it is worth keeping, just the finish will never be an award winner. We have removed the blueing and have been working over it to get all of the rust removed and smooth out where we can.

One thing he wants to do is get a set of oversized grips for it but it is an earlier model with a 150 prefix serial number so I can't for the life of me find grips for it yet.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Not sure on the grips but if you have access to a soda blaster (not to be confused with a sand blaster) you should be able to remove the rust while doing minimal damage to the finish.

nitesite said:
Wow, that's really gonna be a tough one. Wood or synthetic?

He bought a set of Hogue oversized rubber grips and liked them, but they were for a 151 prefix model. If something similiar can be found I know he really liked that set.

I don't think wood is out of the question, but after reblueing the gun he will only be into the gun for $175. I don't know how much he wants to drop into it.

It will never be back to showroom, he haislty went at it with a dremmel tool and created waves in some of the surfaces and I have been spending the time with fine files and sandpaper smoothing it all out for him. I don't think he's want to drop hundreds of dollars on expensive custom grips, but whatever options I can give him whatever I can find and let him make the choice what it is worth to him.

Yea, that is the same thing I was coming up against as well. He may need to deal with his original grips, (sorry I forgot to mention he still had those) our have some custom ones made. Maybe we can make our own..., hmmmm

Back