• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Turkey THUG ; is it 922r compliant ?

Posted this in the other thread where you asked this question...

The only time 922r compliance becomes an issue is when removing American made parts and replacing them with imported parts. Adding a Choate mag tube which is made in the USA is not an issue...

You can shoot 2-3/4" shells in a 3" chamber, but will likely experience cycling issues with low brass. Stick with the higher velocity 2-3/4" shells and you should be ok...

I actually spoke to ATF the other day about that exact subject because someone told me it could be an issue. I specifically mentioned the 7 round mag extension and adding a choke and he indicated it was no issue at all. I didn't even try to get him to put it in writing. He did mention the NYS regulations in the NY-UNSAFE act but that does allow 7 rounds on a semi-auto. but I'm sure they'll try to change that soon too.

you guys are great ! No doubt you understand folks like me can get awfully confused by that 922r mumbo-jumbo .............

I will now sleep better ;)

Here is the text of the 922r compliance regulation:

The Imported Parts Law (1990)
(178.39 otherwise known as 922(r) 10 Foreign parts law on semiauto Rifles & Shotguns)

Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Essentially, to be 922r compliant an imported firearm may not retain any more than 10 of its original parts or "evil features". To achieve 922r compliance, one must make sure no more than ten of the parts/features listed above are original to the imported firearm.

In the case of the OP's SA-20, adding a USA made Choate mag tube extension would only serve to aide in 922r compliance...

you guys are great ! No doubt you understand folks like me can get awfully confused by that 922r mumbo-jumbo .............

I will now sleep better ;)

I certainly do understand.

Hell, I can get confused reading the instructions on the back of a shampoo bottle...

Lather , rinse , repeat .........

It is sure not my intent to open the can of worms ;

but I thought I had the stuff all figured out for my Saiga-20 , imported from Russia (with love no doubt !)

then I get this thing thats built in Turkey and it's not treated the same way if modified ??

Come to think of it .....I put a mag. extension on my H&R Pardner pump and that things made in China ........

odd's are I would never have any need to prove any of them are 922r compliant ,

but a knowledgeable old gun feller told me they can use that 922r B.S to come in and haul off every weapon you got if they choose to .

They are used to people playing the ignorance card and chuckle all the way to their trunk with your firearms ..........

Back