• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting hogs with a shotgun. From a helicopter.

My favorite comment:

Any pig who runs is a VC. Any pig who doesnt run is a well disciplined VC.

I have mixed feelings on these types of hunts but I admit I do not live in an area where pigs as as big a problem as rats.

I can understand that. Personally I'm not willing to shoot anything I won't eat.

As you mentioned there are places where the pigs are huge burden economically and environmentally. As fast as they breed and the size of the litters, they can't be killed fast enough and despite eradication efforts, the populations continue to grow. Which is why there is commonly little restrictions on hunting them.

Though I will say I understand on this level;
I have chickens. Predators are sometimes an issue even feral cats. I've shot a few things here I won't eat, but it's the difference between losing another chicken or not and I don't have the vested interests some of the large farms do in their lands and crops.

That's awesome! Though I can't tell if the second one is about hog hunting or not.

Did I see correctly, the firearm in the first is an AR platform shotgun? That's sweet, I'm hoping (since I didn't get the rifle I was eyeballing in favor of having another shotgun so both my daughter and I can hunt together again), to work the 835 into a bad mamba-jamba of a shotgun which I may be able to use for hogs someday. It looks like buckshot? and seems to drop them handily.

Yea...Hog Dawgs is about those pictured girls going in with pit bulls then wrestling the hogs (and gators) when they get trapped by the "dawgs".

Funny as hell...

HELI-HUNTER

HELI-HUNTER1_zpsm0s2fz5f.jpg

HOG DAWGS

HOG%20DAWGS1_zpskwzet7xt.jpg

HOG%20DAWGS2_zpsb0azzfdh.jpg

I was reading a little on helihunters, they try to recover as much meat as possible to donate. They kill a lot , A LOT, of hogs.

Hog dawgs may have an appeal helihunter does not, but the previews I saw had little actual hunting. I found it underwhelming. I don't get the sportsman channel so I've not seen it, there may be some good hunting but it doesn't seem that's what they're primarily advertising.

Yea...Heli-Hunters does donate the meat to feed the disadvantaged...

And...yea...Hog Dawgs is all about those girls...and advertising for Black Hills ammo and dog food. They also donate the meat to a certain chef on the show too.

But...those girls do get down and dirty with the hogs...actually wrestling them down in all kinds of muck. No good reason...they could call the "dawgs" off and just shoot the hog.

Slightly entertaining... :D

I know a number of folks who hunt with dogs. We had been raising dogs for that purpose and had a couple prospects. Ultimately things changed due to circumstances out of our control. The folks I know who use dogs most often finish the hogs with a knife or spear after hobbling or tieing the hogs while the dogs still have a hold on the pig. They keep breaking sticks to peel and pry the dogs off.

Most of the helicopter stuff I'm familiar wirh has a rather large ground op behind it. Crews on ATVs pick up every hog and transport them to refrigerated tractor-trailers were the hogs are processed and the meat shipped to markets that allow the import. This is big business, operations that produce a profit for big ranches.

Good to know the meat gets donated. They need to tout that more. Knowing that makes me think of it a little differently.

some good flying, and shooting. the distance must be deceiving. The heli must be coming in pretty close for the gunners to be able to dust them like that. appeared they were going for head shots. wonder what loads they're using.

I DVR'd the entire first season and the rifle of choice was the 6.5 Grendel, they talked about the ammo but I don't remember anything about it. I don't remember a mention of the 223 Rem or 5.56X45 and I doubt it is used with the helicopter hunting.

I went to their website to see if they mentioned the firearms and I did not know that they book hunts as well. These hunts are shotgun only using their Tac-12 A1 & Federal Premium Power Shok 00. Heck there is even a special Heli-Hunter edition of the Tac-12, you are only talking $2K!

faq-gun.jpg

The hunts are $6K for two hours! The new season of the show starts on 06/01/15 on the Sportsman Channel at 8:30 pm. Take a look at this: Helihunter FAQ

I have absolutely no problem shooting an animal and not eating it if it's as destructive as feral hogs (and legal). I've left many pigs dead in the field. I usually take one or two of the small 70 to 90 pound pigs home but have left several others where they fell. I think it's irresponsible to let a pig go if you've still got ammo in your pack.

But what I try hard not to due is take a shot that I'm not reasonably sure will kill the animal immediately. Regardless if it's a nuisance animal or game. I think that's probably difficult to do from a moving helicopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back