• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting in a slug gun

njsportsman

Copper BB
I have the 835 with the cantilever slug barrel and in desperate need of how to zero this thing in. I have called a LGS here in my home state and what they told me was since it has the cantilever it is hard to bore sight and couldn't guarantee the bore sight or getting me on paper for that matter. How do you guys bore sight. At $3.00 a shot I was hoping to get close by bore sighting. thanks

When bore sighting at home I use a laser bore sight like the one Dan posted above or in some cases I use the bullet-type that fits in the chamber.

With the gun unloaded and the scope mounted, you can go to the biggest room or longest hallway in the house and shine the laser on the far wall. Then center the crosshairs over the laser and that should get you on paper at 25yd or so. Works well on the backyard fence at night too, but the neighbors might get a little nervous. :D

Once at the range, using a rest to keep the weapon steady, center the crosshairs over the bull and let your first shot fly. If you hit the bull then you're good to move the target out incrementally and adjust your scope as needed. If your shot is off center, then hold the shotgun steady with the crosshairs repositioned over the bull. Now without moving the weapon, slowly adjust your windage and elevation knobs until the crosshairs are over the bullet hole from your first shot. Reset and fire again. If all went as planned your scope should now be aligned with your weapon's point of impact at that distance. You can then move your target farther out and repeat the scope adjustment as needed.

It's a pretty simple method and has always had me zeroed in in three shots or less...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
When bore sighting at home I use a laser bore sight like the one Dan posted above or in some cases I use the bullet-type that fits in the chamber.

With the gun unloaded and the scope mounted, you can go to the biggest room or longest hallway in the house and shine the laser on the far wall. Then center the crosshairs over the laser and that should get you on paper at 25yd or so. Works well on the backyard fence at night too, but the neighbors might get a little nervous. :D

Once at the range, using a rest to keep the weapon steady, center the crosshairs over the bull and let your first shot fly. If you hit the bull then you're good to move the target out incrementally and adjust your scope as needed. If your shot is off center, then hold the shotgun steady with the crosshairs repositioned over the bull. Now without moving the weapon, slowly adjust your windage and elevation knobs until the crosshairs are over the bullet hole from your first shot. Reset and fire again. If all went as planned your scope should now be aligned with your weapon's point of impact at that distance. You can then move your target farther out and repeat the scope adjustment as needed.

It's a pretty simple method and has always had me zeroed in in three shots or less...

LES speaks the truth. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. :mrgreen:

Thanks I appreciate the help I ordered the laserlyte that Dan recommended. I was looking at laser bore sighters and that was one of them. I picked it because I have a $50 gift card for LL Bean that's been sitting in my wallet for like 4 years now and it's still good for the full amount. Just need to get the attachment kit now. LES I live in The Peoples Republic Of New Jersey or New Jerkistan so yes I would have the local, state and swat teams at my door if I took it in my back yard. It's illegal to breathe here in NJ. :cry:

Haha, understood.

A laser bore sight is a great investment and makes life a lot easier. Better for the wallet too. Keep us posted on how it goes...

Back