• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slugs.......

JP68

.22LR
Sighted in my red dot on my new 535 today, used Winchester 1 1/8 ox slugs. Somehow forgot that it's never a good idea to shoot shotguns from a bench, almost took my shoulder off with the first 2 rounds. Finished the job from the standing position, still kicks very heavy........
Not a huge deal, this gun is for deer-hunting and I will not shoot it a lot. On the other side, what about low recoil slugs? Anybody experience with them? Online reviews are good, seem to work well, even for hunting......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, heard that before..... For now I got myself a box of kleenex, until i'm done with whining......

No, not very experienced with shotguns. Guess this is something I can look up on YouTube?

No, not very experienced with shotguns. Guess this is something I can look up on YouTube?

There's a thread about it here also, might save you some bandwidth. :) Essentially, when you shoulder the gun you use your weak arm to push forward a little a second or 2 before you pull the trigger. Not enough to take the gun off your shoulder, just enough so that your weak arm absorbs some of the recoil like a shock absorber. The ratio often mentioned is 60% pull into your shoulder and 40% pushing the gun forward, but that's not carved in stone. Sounds weird, I know, but it works. Takes some practice to do this and still stay on target, but it works for me and many others. You should also be leaning forward some, with your right foot slightly behind (assuming you're a righty) .Try it out a few times. :)

This is how I shoot my 590 with Brenneke 1 1/4oz slugs, and even with bird shot.

Last edited:
Yeah, heard that before..... For now I got myself a box of kleenex, until i'm done with whining......

They work. Put one on my old 500 for 3-gunning. Running 12-24 rounds in a row thru it ate me up. Just a walk in the park now.

Lead sled ftw!!!!

If thats not an option the push pull method helps a lot as well as a limbsaver.

I can empathize on the shooting seated issue.

The range I used to shoot installed cages that required all long guns to be shot seated. It really sucked, but a Limbsaver made it much better. The new gun club allows shooting in any position you like and the push-pull method has replaced cushy recoil pads for me now...

you really shouldn't use anything low recoil for hunting IMO......less range, different trajectory and less killing power.

you could always hot glue the shot in a target load birdshot.

uuuhhhh that's a joke right ? if so LOL, if not....LOL

None of the animals to pass through my freezer ever commented on the velocity of the bullet or arrow that hit them.

I always go for the for the fastest velocity that is still accurate, I wont sacrifice accuracy for velocity but its close because speed kills. Throw a marble at something......then shoot that marble out of a slingshot at something and tell me velocity doesn't matter

On gluing the shot, nope, not kidding. Folks glue them to make cheap slugs.. also folks melt down shot and then make their own slugs. 7.5 birdshot which is cheap is most commonly used.

I can see it in a pinch I guess for self defense against a human in a SHTF world but just don't see it working in the hunting world. Just too many way better choices out there

No, this is not ment for any reasonable hunting. But in the post it was mentioned he was looking for easier shooting slugs. Otherwise it is for shtf and just having fun.

Back