• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

So What Will You Do With The Powerball Jackpot

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I'm not much of a gambler but I did buy a few Powerball tickets for the fantasy value of planning what I'll do with the winnings on my ride to and from work this week. Does anybody know if the bankruptcy court put a price on Colt Manufacturing LLC yet?

Anybody else?

Seriously, I could handle winning a million or two. It would be nice and make it easier up to and through retirement. I would have no clue what to do with $1.5 billion.

Pay cash for everything for the rest of my life and drive the government nuts by vanishing from the financial grid.

I just want out of the city, somewhere where I can piss or shoot of the back porch without someone calling the police. Some hunting land would be nice.

Anything else is just gravy.

I'd buy a a big piece of property tax free land somewhere here in Alaska. Put a nice self sufficient home on it that can fit my family comfortable without being lavish... a greenhouse to grow food, a barn to have animals, a workshop with all the tools I'd ever need to keep everything running indefinitely. Pay people to teach me trades (i.e welding, mechanics, machining, contractor work etc).

Then for fun, a small charter plane that I can use to fly people out to hunts with (Day job to keep me busy you know).

Give enough to family members that would appreciate it. Give some to meaningful charities... then invest the rest to live off of interest.

(Maybe a few firearm toys to go into a workshop...;))

Hell, 1.5 Billion is enough to do all that and give each of my favorite MO friends a few 100K:D

12400526_1104151716270592_5944444183109768155_n.jpg

I like the answer that one guy gave on live tv..."Lots of hookers and cocaine."
With that much money I'd have to give most of it away. It may be $1.4B but the lump sum would be about $900M. Lose half to taxes and $450M is way more than I need or could use. Even after paying for everyone's homes or buying them for some of the kids, paying off student loans and whatnot I'd still have $449M.

Buy/build a huge gated compound. :cool: Definitely security and guard dogs, maybe a laser cannon or two... :p Minimally there would be a long distance shooting range. :) Optionally, an amusement park or at least a roller coaster... ;)

But I'd seriously consider a run for President as a write-in! :D

First would be to convert a lot of it to precious metals because I don't trust the paper money system and I would have deposits in various countries. I've seen too much here today, gone tomorrow type thing. Not worth the paper it's printed on, etc.

Not exactly sure where I would store the precious metals, but some of that would include copper and lead, but there would be a lot of platinum, gold and silver thrown in the mix too.

I would purchase an island someplace warm that had fresh running water. I would start my own country and only allow family and friends and others would be determined. Unlike the US, it would have secure borders.

There would be a shotgun, rifle, and pistol range located somewhere on the island, likely just off the back porch.

My family wouldn't have any bills, and my (real) friends wouldn't either. With that much money, I'd be happy to make their lives a little easier.

I would also spend up to 25 million on finding a cure for cancer, alzheimers and diabetes, but it wouldn't all go to US pharma companies because they're more interested in treating it than curing it I believe. I would give some to US cancer research, but not all.

Pay my tithes.

I would also donate a bunch to help our veterans, especially homeless veterans and give priority to homeless veterans with children.

I would try to invest in established US companies who have tried to keep manufacturing and product making here in the states to help them so working families have a chance of the American dream.

I could probably think of more things, but that's enough day dreaming for this morning.

Ater 40 years as American taxpayers, we have enough money to retire on now and everything is paid for.

Plus If I sold the house on 1/3 acre in California I could pick up 20 acres in the heartland & build a new house on it and have change left over.

So I'm not sure a billion bux would change my life for the better.

Of one thing I am certain: If I'd been born with that billion bux I'd have no idea how to do any of the things that I do now.

How many WEALTHY people nowadays could change a tire by hand and balance it at home? Could design & weld a trailer hitch? Run machine tools & program factory tools? Set up a production line? Design the glass window walls for a 30 story building? Rebuild a transmission or a motorcycle? Design a truss from steel, wood, or composite with advanced computer modeling? Spec and build computers and computer networks? Diagnose and repair electric systems? Repair a TV? Cook like a frenchie and sing like an italian?

I think my past and future would be unrecognizable to me. Who would I be today?

Probably one of those people I point out to the wife, like, "Did you see that rich ass hole stiff the waiter?"

Be careful what you wish for folks. You might get it.

I believe the compound would be the way to go. Round up my family, buy land in pro 2A state in the middle of nowhere.

stock up the food/ammo, create a long range course, short range pistol course, skeet field on my property as well as a workout building which includes a dojo for my private training.

And after that is built - I'd run for local state office to ensure my land stays free.

...has heart attack on the honeymoon & Juicy Lucy gets it all.

Pentagon Spends $10 Million On Powerball Tickets With Hopes Of Bolstering F-35 Program

powerball-f-35-1000x600.jpg

DEPT. OF DEFENSE PHOTO
THE PENTAGON — The Department of Defense announced today that it has purchased five million Powerball tickets at a cost of $2 per ticket, with an aim of providing a funding windfall to the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program.

“This is a minor fiscal gamble, but the Pentagon is always willing to lay out a few extra bucks in order to ensure we continue to have the most advanced military in the world,” said Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, flashing a giddy smile. “Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, and a dozen new F-35s for the Navy’s Pacific Fleet.”

The F-35 program has been beleaguered by cost overruns, with a projected lifetime program cost of at least $1.5 trillion. The estimated $1.5 billion dollar Powerball jackpot would amount to only one-tenth of one percent of the total program cost, but it’s an important step in the Pentagon’s search for additional sources of revenue in the face of Congressional questions about the program. With the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot standing at 1-in-292,000,000, the five million tickets give the Pentagon a 1-in-58 chance of winning the jackpot.

A reporter brought to Carter’s attention that the jackpot only totals $1.5 billion dollar jackpot if the Pentagon elects to take the annuity paid out over 29 years, and the alternative lump sum payment would amount to less than $900 million.

“Well, shit,” said Carter. “There’s no sense in taking a 29-year annuity when the F-35 will be obsolete by that time and on the auction block to Iran and Saudi Arabia. But the lump sum payment would still buy three or four F-35s today, I believe.”

The reporter then pointed out the IRS would take almost half of the lump sum payout, leaving the Pentagon with around $500 million. They also noted the Navy’s F-35C variant costs $337 million per unit, leaving the Pentagon able to buy less than two F-35s for the Navy.

“I don’t understand why you guys would even question this,” said a visibly frustrated Carter. “That would still be two more F-35s than we had previously, with a capital expenditure of only ten million dollars in Powerball tickets. That’s a steal.”

Some reporters were critical of the Pentagon gambling taxpayer money in a lottery, leading Carter to become more defensive.

“Look, we’ve already wast—er, expended an extraordinary amount of taxpayer money on this program, so a paltry $10 million is a drop in the bucket,” said a defiant Carter. “No one would have ever noticed this program accruing an extra $10 million in costs if we hadn’t announced it. That’s a damn rounding error.”

As reporters vied to ask the next question, Carter complained, “Gee, I thought you guys would have been more excited about this announcement,” before throwing his hands in the air in exasperation and walking away from the podium.

UPDATE: Duffel Blog has learned that due to a clerical error the Pentagon submitted only five combinations of numbers, with each combination submitted a million times. This has reduced the Pentagon’s chances of winning the Powerball jackpot from 1-in-58 to 1-in-58,000,000. Despite the setback, Carter remains optimistic the Pentagon will now be holding a million winning Powerball tickets.

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/01/p...pes-of-bolstering-f-35-program/#ixzz3xAhlPUEy

Got myself 1 powerball ticket tonight . No idea what I will do if I win, i did promise my cattle dog that I would get him his own Kobe beef caw to chase around.
I kinda want a water jet machine and a 5 axis cnc milling machine, maybe some new socks.

My office did a pool. I have no doubt that if we win we will never see the organizer again. Honestly if we can get rid of her for $10, it was money well spend. LOL

I rarely play bit I have picked up a few easy pics the last two drawings.

I won!!!!!

$4...and the power play was 2xs...so woooo! $8....
:p:p:p:p

I won!!!!!

$4...and the power play was 2xs...so woooo! $8....
[emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]
Same for me in the office pool except my share is $1.60. LOL

The lotto thing is amazing. Everyone thinks they can win because the lotto takes in so much money they can give back most of it as prizes & still make a fortune.

You are always going to win if you play, and you will consistently win back maybe $4 of every $5 you spend--more or less, depending on the rules of that particular game.

This payoff (of a percentage) keeps people coming.

I always gag about the Powerball games, because that Powerball makes it harder to win--not easier as they seem to claim. If you do the math, and you understand numbers, it becomes clear.

But these games are designed to seem simple and work subtley.

Back