• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Solar Eclipse Plans?: Aug 21, 2017

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Eclipse-Times.jpg

In about 2 weeks the 2017 total soar eclipse path will traverse the US from Oregon to South Carolina. There will be partial eclipse of the sun observable a couple of hundred miles on either side of the line of total obscuration.

What are you plans? Will you have to travel? Ignore it? Watch it on TV?

I'll be in total for about 1 minute. I'm going to set up a camera obscura in my guest bedroom and use a pinhole lens to project the on a screen in the room.

I won't be in total eclipse. A while north of the projected path.

I'll be out of the porch drinking iced sweet tea.

I'll probably get up a few hours early before work so I can see the partial eclipse at my location. If I get up and it's just not that stunning I can always go back to bed. :)

I would love to have the day off and be right in the path of it. But that would take six hours round trip on the road and I am working at 6-PM. Just imagine the temperature suddenly dropping 20-25 degrees in the middle of a hot summer day, and street lights and car headlights coming on.

Pretty cool if you can be there.

It's way too far for me to bother.

I'd much rather go fishing or go shooting or work on my old shotgun.

I've seen lots of shadows before.

I'll be at a uspsa match the day before preparing for the battle with the little shop of horrors plant

15022925884731666995965.jpg I dont really know what it will be like in south alabama. Im sure il have a look and see. I was in lowes talking to a lady and she said i needed these ? It was 2 bucs so i got them i think a welding lense would do fine.15022925884731666995965.jpg

Don't Get Blindsided By Bogus Solar Eclipse Glasses And Other Scams <LINK>

How to View the 2017 Solar Eclipse Safely <LINK>

The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as “eclipse glasses” (example shown at left) or hand-held solar viewers. Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun; they transmit thousands of times too much sunlight. Refer to the American Astronomical Society (AAS) Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers (link is external) page for a list of manufacturers and authorized dealers of eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers verified to be compliant with the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for such products.

Best interactive map I've found for eclipse data <LINK>

upload_2017-8-10_0-19-50.png

This is from the animation of the eclipse in my city. Animation will display movement at site.
You can type in a city near you or your lat/long and get an animation.
Even cities over 200 miles from the centerline will get a big bite partial eclipse.

DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT ANY PART OF THE SUN DURING THE ECLIPSE! Even 99% is not safe

We're about 600 miles away so I'll just watch it on the news.

Maybe I'll have a beer to celebrate.

So I wonder how this is supposed to affect fishing. Will the little fish lose their senses and start swimming the wrong way?

I never thought about how eclipses might affect wildlife.

So I wonder how this is supposed to affect fishing. Will the little fish lose their senses and start swimming the wrong way?
I never thought about how eclipses might affect wildlife.

lWhat will animals do during the eclipse? Scientists aren't entirely sure.
http://thesouthern.com/news/local/e...cle_070061e2-db8f-5375-a8fb-b8a5fd05316f.html

• BARB EIDLIN The Southern
  • Jul 24, 2017 Updated Aug 7, 2017
Scientists look for help documenting animal behavior
Anecdotally, we know animals appear to respond to the change in light that affects not only nocturnal animals, but crepuscular ones. Crepuscular animals are species most active during dusk and dawn.

Reports during eclipses worldwide tell of night birds singing, bats flying, spiders tearing down webs, or owls calling.

“But it is difficult for us to find data that is not anecdotal,” said Rebecca Johnson, citizen science research coordinator at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

Because of the infrequency of total solar eclipses, Johnson said, the academy does not have any staff researchers who have done specific studies on animal behavior during one, and that is common throughout the scientific community.

Johnson’s colleague, Elise Ricard, life responds coordinator for the California Academy of Sciences, was present in Australia during the 2012 eclipse.

As a result of that experience, Ricard said the academy wanted to find a project that would provide people a way to do citizen science and connect with the eclipse in a way that would also support their mission to explore, explain and sustain life.

They created the “Life Responds” project, which asks citizens to download the iNaturalist app from Apple or Android platforms and document what they see during the eclipse.

The app allows people all over the world to document biodiversity through personal or project observations, and is uniquely positioned to allow people to document plant and animal reactions to the eclipse.

Johnson said people are asked to record an observation 30 minutes before and after the eclipse and at least twice during maximum coverage.

“They can look for any animal or plant, though we expect more reactions from say, chicken going to roost, birds stopping to sing, plants folding up for the night, insects hiding, or maybe even bats flying out,” Ricard said.

Johnson encouraged those using the app to scope out the spot at which they will be standing and focus on one or two things they will document.

“That way, when the event happens they can spend most of their time witnessing what’s happening in the skies, but still help gather data about what’s happening on the ground,” Johnson said.

Johnson and Ricard said the app is free to download and the results will be posted on both the iNaturalist and Cal Academy websites, with the raw data available as well for anyone to use or access.

More about the project can be found at www.inaturalist.org/projects/life-responds-total-solar-eclipse-2017.

During eclipse a friend was at work she texted me and said send her a picture. I tried to get pic with my phone wouldn't come out. So i went inside and took a picture of the picture on tv. Lol she was happy and praised my photo ability haha. Dont tell on me.20170821_133651.jpg

The good eclipse news for my part of the country was that the hospitals had very few reports of eye injuries.
There was not the massive traffic accidents that I had predicted.
Main problem was that I-75 southbound that drained the city of Athens TN was slowed down to about 9 mph for a 20 mile stretch.

Back