• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Soon to be new owner

brnd72

Hello all,
Just ordered my new 590 #50660 this afternoon....looking forward to receiving it! Can't wait to start picking the brains of everyone here to help build my personalized HD shotgun.
I had a basic field model 500 once...sold it due to lack of hunting & I had no family to protect back then. I'll be putting some serious thought into this one.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new 590!

I hope your wait goes by quickly. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your new 590 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Howdy brnd72, and welcome to the club.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum brnd72 !!

Congrats on the new 590...

Welcome from MI!!

My spankin' new 590 arrived today, super fast! Now the real fun begins...even though it's a fantastic firearm right out of the box, customizing it to fit me and the wife both in fit & function will make it a "Perfect" Keep It Simple Shotgun !

SWEET!!!

Be sure to post up some pics when you're able. What plans do you have for customization?

Don't have GRS, don't want them...going with the HiViz Tactical clip on front sight (KISS).
Thought about the ATI Akita stock so my wife and I could both fit, but after much reading about LOP for defensive/ tactical shotgun...I'm going with the Hogue short LOP stock, again no moving parts, less to fail (KISS).
Any other suggestions from you seasoned members for initial improvements? Not looking to make a 10 pound battering ram, just to polish things up.

Thanks for the link, looks to be the best price for the set.
I read that the forend can't be changed out, is this true? I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, I'm confident if someone put it together, I can take it apart.

The forend can absolutely be changed out. There are a few complications on some 500 models with pinned forends, but your 590 should have an action slide tube held on by a castle nut. Here's a great explanation of how it's done...

Rossignol said:
I changed forends on both my 590A1 and my 500. To change it out, I removed the trigger pin from the receiver, pulled the trigger, cartridge stop and interupter. Then pull the bolt slide.

Once that is done you can wiggle and finess the forend/action slide tube arms, free from the receiver and slide it off of the magazine tube. Look at the end of the forend with the nut, its the end nearest the muzzle. Youll see how the nut is crenelated, or castle like. The best way for me to do it with out the actual forend nut wrench tool, is to lay an allen wrench across the crenelations and apply some force downward and turn like any other nut.

The OFM factory forend will slide off easily enough! The aftermarket forend may be tight. Like real tight. I'd put money on the thing goin on for sure! I dont know if any dremmeling will be required or not. I didnt have to dremmel either of mine, but I put a trirail on my 590A1 which has a more tollerance in the fit between the forend and the barrel.

Hope this helps.

There are a few videos floating around as well if you need them.

Sweet, thanks...I'm sure I would have figured it out once I disassembled for initial clean & lube. It's much easier getting my questions answered before I REALLY need to know.
Thanks again!

Brnd, thats a sweet gun!!! I know I've seen you postin, but I wanted to get to the actual introduction too! ;)

Thanks for the plug LES! Brnd, unless I'm mistaken (and I think I just as of today) I had seen your post with the changes, yes? You went with the Hogue stock and forend?

I agree, less is more here, for me anyway. I prefer fewer things to go wrong or have to fumble with when everything sux all of a sudden. The Hogue is perfect for me and even my now 13 year old daughter can shoot it and began when she was 12. Though I'm considering smashing her right now, though if I'm not thorough shell shoot me with my own gun later. Another topic for another day...

Anyhow, I just put a video up in the Product Review section firing that 590A1 with the Hogue short LOP and also some ammo review in the ammo section.

I think you made a fine choice with the snap on fiber optic too! Man those 590's are sweet arent they!!!

Glad to have you, welcome to Mossberg Owners!!! ;)

Back