• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sporting Clays...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I was wondering what setups people use for sporting clays. I am going to be setting a mossberg up for this shortly.

I am currently using a mossberg 930 autoloader with 28" barrel and accu-choke set (IC, MOD, FULL). So far it has been a dream to shoot with.

Here it is the day after Christmas and I am ogling and fondling (its not as perverse as it sounds) my new (less than 2 weeks) Bereta Teknys Gold Target. Santa, in the guise of SWMBO brought me all the accessories i have drooled over since I started the cookie jar for this gun (ported chokes, cocking handle, rocker bolt release, shell catcher, and trigger shoe). As you can see from my other posts, I love my Mossbergs (20 gauge O/U for skeet, and 500 "system"), but this will be my Sporting Clays gun.

You Know, I've recently been thinkin about this... I'm about to have one of my guns threaded for accu-choke. If/when I do this, I figured I'd order a set of choke tubes. (I already have an IC ported compensator) I've shot skeet with the cylider bore in the past, never had any trouble, and wasnt doin it competively, just you know, one of those fun days out when you buy a brick of cheap shells and a box of clays. So I may as well invest in some tubes when I have it done and start putting them to use for birds n stuff to.

So my set up would be a 500A 20" with a set of accu chokes. Again, I'm not doin this competively...

I have shot sporting clays with my Huglu SxS, my Beretta O/U and my 1100 semi.

I have been shooting a lot of Skeet with my 500. So then I see this barrel for sale on Gunbroker, 26" with a C-Lect choke for $40! I figure that is cheaper than all the chokes I would need for sporting.
I am waiting for delivery now! If it patterns well than I can guarantee that I will shoot my next round of sporting with my 500 with its C-Lect choked barrel!

I just realized that I had not updated this in a while.
I shot my 26" C-Lect choked barrel on my 500 and had an absolute blast.
Unlike my semi or the SxS or even the O/U.
Shooting a pump is just so much more of a "True Shotgun Experience"
My scores are as good with this set up as with any of my more traditional Sporting Clays guns.

LOVE IT!

Back