• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Removal

930fan

.22LR
Hello.
I want to remove the spring that sits in a tube inside the stock. Does anybody know how to do this?
Thanks.

Howdy @930fan .

I'm assuming you're talking about the buffer tube and spring? If so, there is a only a pin holding the spring in the tube. Using a small flat-head screwdriver, push the rear spring plunger down into the tube to relieve tension on the pin and then simpy push the pin out with a punch or small Phillips screwdriver. Make sure you keep pressure on the spring and plunger on its way out. It's a good idea to wrap your hand around the end of the tube and grab the plunger and spring as soon as you have a visual then slowly remove them. Otherwise, you might end up with the plunger up your nose and the spring sticking out of your eye. Don't ask how I found that out. Let's just say I wear safety glasses anytime I deal with springs these days...

Thank you Lazy Eye. That is what I wanted to know. I figured that is how it was done but I wanted to know from somebody who did this job before. Also thanks for the tip about the safety glasses.

Howdy @930fan .

I'm assuming you're talking about the buffer tube and spring? If so, there is a only a pin holding the spring in the tube. Using a small flat-head screwdriver, push the rear spring plunger down into the tube to relieve tension on the pin and then simpy push the pin out with a punch or small Phillips screwdriver. Make sure you keep pressure on the spring and plunger on its way out. It's a good idea to wrap your hand around the end of the tube and grab the plunger and spring as soon as you have a visual then slowly remove them. Otherwise, you might end up with the plunger up your nose and the spring sticking out of your eye. Don't ask how I found that out. Let's just say I wear safety glasses anytime I deal with springs these days...
I learned with the mag spring on my 930. Not pretty. Got my boy to help me reinstall it. IS there a simple way to put that pup back in?! I feel like I'm gonna mess it up sorta scrunching it down to screw on the extension.

I usually just walk it down from the end of the mag tube one or two coils at a time until the cap can cover what's left...

Back