• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Turkey 2014

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Winter is dragging on forever and thoughts of spring turkey are keeping me going!

Is anyone else going to be stalking a big tom this spring?

Let see those turkey guns, bows, calls, etc.

Heres accouple of my favorite turkey gun's.
Mossberg 535 ATS Tactical Turkey 12ga. Bushnell Scope, Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665 choke
Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag 12ga. Mueller Quick-shot site, JellyHead .690 choke.
Yeah, Im ready for the spring! Last year my buddy and I tagged out 2 sec apart. That was our first double on a accouple nice birds. Im on the left.

Mossbergs 535 ATS & 835.jpg 2013 Spring turkeys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered my "turkey barrel" from Mossberg last month, their customer service was great and it arrived within 2 weeks, I'm ready for Spring Tom in the Tennessee mountains!

Can't wait for Spring Gobbler in Pennsylvania...

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): May 3 –31, 2014. Daily/season limit is 1; season limit may be expanded to 2 by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license. From May 3 –17, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 19 –31, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until one –half hour after sunset.

Only a few days left. My season runs April 21 through May 4.

For anyone local to Williams Gun Sight:

Spring Wild Turkey Workshop Saturday April 5th at Williams Gun Sight Company, 7389 Lapeer Road, Davison, Michigan. Starting time 1PM until about 4PM. Speakers include wild turkey pro-staffer and guide, master gunsmith-customizing your shotgun, Dourlain Taxidermy and DNR CO-safety and laws. No reservations needed. Call 810 513-9820 for more info.

I attend this every year that I can. I always learn something new.

The turkey workshop was pretty cool. They always get me even more pumped to get out in the field.

They were raffling off a Camo Mossberg 500 combo......I tried but did not win it. DOH!!!!

Been seein the birds here in Indiana, seems theres alot this year. Been watching a group of 5 with a tom in the bunch on one of the properties that I hunt.

Had one fly across the road in front of me on the way to the range on Sunday morning.

They're all over the place around here...

Thats crazy LOL! I have heard of people hitting them in their cars and trucks. They really mess up the grill's. I did see a photo of a turkey that had hit/went through the flat windsheild on a Coca-Cola truck, the caption of the photo was "Wild Turkey&Coke" LOL!

I did see a photo of a turkey that had hit/went through the flat windsheild on a Coca-Cola truck, the caption of the photo was "Wild Turkey&Coke" LOL!

Haha, nice!

My brother had one come through the windshield of his pickup several years back. He was doin 'bout 75mph down the highway and it flew right out in front of him. The damn thing all but exploded inside the truck. It caused one helluva mess and he and his wife were covered in cuts from the broken glass. For some odd reason he gets a little sensitive around Thanksgiving after that...

I cant wait!!! I took off April 24, 25 for jersey then NY opens the following week so I took off thurs and friday of that week and Ive got a month of weekends of upstate New York! I Cant wait, and my family cant wait till I leave all my calls upstate and they dont have to hear them!!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! HAVE A GREAT TIME!

This past Friday, as I was unloading a new riding mower, a fat hen walked by so close I could have hit her with baseball bat. She just went on by walking down the driveway to wherever she was headed. :rolleyes:

So, I was at the gun club a couple of weeks ago and setting up at the 50/100 yd range - there is one other shooter there and we had not met so we chatted as I set up. With that pause in the action 4 whitetail deer wander out of the woods to nibble the green grass at about the 75 yd. line!! (no camera but my phone and at 75 yds the pic was not worth it)

We watch and laugh. 2 guys with scoped rifles at the bench and 4 deer ALL standing broadside to us and NOTHING we can do about it SOooo I walk my targets out and the deer head back to the woods. As I return I see this rather sizable turkey LIMPING out from behind the clubhouse. He's been injured but is stable and really kind of cocky considering I could have chased him down and wrung his neck.

It's not even youth season at that point so all we can do is watch. he sauntered around for a good 5 minutes until I decided to get close enough to take this kinda crummy shot of him - he was not about to pose but has a good beard on him. ARG!

Eventually the two of us shot holes in paper...

TurkeyclubARPC2014.jpg

Well, My son's and my season was surprisingly short. 1 1/2 hours into the first day of the Indiana youth Turkey hunt, my 11 year old son got his first turkey, a 17 lb. Jake, courtesy of Grandpa. Unfortunately, I had to work.

At 2:45 the first day of the Regular season, I got a one of my nicest birds, a 25 lb. Tom with 23mm spurs and an 11 1/4 in. beard. Funny thing is, I had 14 days set aside to hunt and it took me about 2 hours as I had to work in the morning, so I did not get to the woods till after noon.

Even though it was short, it was still a great season!

Last edited:
Back