• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

State By State Self Defense/Gun Laws

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Thought I'd start an informative thread on what types of self defense laws your state imposes. I'll try to keep it brief with the most pertinent information and if we can, let's keep it to the format I'm using so that it's easy to read. If we can get all states, especially the state you resided in, that would be great. I know I'm always looking on the interwebs for info on Gun/Self Defense laws... would be nice to have it one place. Feel free to add any other pertinant information you feel would be informative regarding your state laws.

DISCLAIMER: While we will strive to keep this information as current as possible, it is still your responsibility to know and follow your states laws, as they frequently change. This is strictly for your education/reference, so don't use this thread as your sole legal library.

Alaska

Open Carry: Yes
Conceald Carry Permit: Yes, but can carry concealed without a permit.
Permit to Purchase: No
Owner Liscense Required: No
NFA weapons restriction: No
Castle Doctrine: Yes
Stand-Your-Ground: Yes

Other restrictions or special requirements:

Alaska restricts people from carrying guns in any place where alcohol is served for on-site consumption (with the exemption of restaurants that serve alcohol, if you are not drinking), schools, domestic violence shelters, courts, and correctional institutions. A person carrying a concealed gun in Alaska, when contacted by a police officer is required by law to inform the officer they are carrying and cooperate if the officer chooses to temporarily seize the gun for the length of the encounter. The possession of any firearm while intoxicated is illegal.

KentuckyWindage said:
GunnyGene said:

This is where I get my info. I like the idea of the thread topic but please post a disclaimer or notice to research your own state laws. That MO is not liable for any info posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I was ahead of you KW... unless that won't suffice. PM me if something needs changed.

Texas

Open Carry: Public Property No, Private Property Yes
Conceal Carry Permit: Yes unless specific signage is clearly posted prohibiting it at the door of a particular business who wishes to not have folk packing heat legally.
Permit to Purchase: None
Owner Liscense Required: Not required
Cooling off period after purchasing: Zero
NFA items: Allowed (no additional restrictions, mirrors federal definitions of NFA classifications)
Castle Doctrine: Yes (allows for homestead, vehicle, and place of work) Generally speaking if someone uninvited breaks into your home you have every right to utilize lethal force without pause even if they are found to be unarmed.
Stand your ground only applies elsewhere in public spaces if the threat was legitimate (attempted rape, murder, kinapping etc...) and use of physical force (doesn't have to be a firearm) including up to lethal force to stop that threat was justifiable.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texa ... 101-a.html

As always consult a state official or a lawyer versed in Texas law for official and the most current statewide information.

Don't forget about Texas' defense of property act...

Title 2: Chapter 9

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

In Texas the legality for use of deadly force, when justified, is extended to the protection and/or recovery of one's property and possessions both inside and outside the home.

GOD bless Texas...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/n ... 507040.php

Thank guys like Jeff Wentworth who help create sensible and effective laws to protect victims, not criminals. Nice man to talk with. Sadly wasn't re elected to the State senate at the beginning of this year :(

He will always be guaranteed my vote for any elected position he might choose to try for in the future. These are the type of folks you want to encourage others to vote as your representatives in office. Not the libturds that protect the criminals.

New York

Open Carry: No
Conceald Carry Permit: Yes. Restricted for most (to and from range and while hunting)
Permit to Purchase: yes only for handguns
Registration: Yes handguns and now Assault Weapons owned before the new ban
Owner Liscense Required: Yes only handguns and AW
NFA weapons restriction: Yes
Castle Doctrine: Yes
Stand-Your-Ground: Hell no. Bastards

Other restrictions or special requirements:

New York has special restrictions on Pistol permit holders which literally varies by each county. Some counties issue unrestricted ccw carry while most others restrict to ccw only to and from the range.

Only licensed pistol holders can purchase a pistol. To obtain a license varies from 6 months to 2 years depending on the county.

To purchase a pistol (in my county) you have to pay for the pistol at the gun store and get an invoice. Go to the police station and obtain a purchase document for $5. Go back to the gun store and then the NICS is done. Once passed and you have possession you have 20 days to go back to the police station to verify the weapon serial number and place the pistol on your license.

The county reserves the right to revoke or suspend your license at their discretion for a myriad of reasons. If they do you would have to lawyer up fairly quickly to reinstate it otherwise your pistols will be confiscated permanently unless you transfer the firearms to another licensed holder prior to the police visiting to confiscate.

Long guns are not subject to this tyranny.

This is a strict castle doctrine state. The only times you can leave your dwelling to engage is if there is a forcible rape, felony robbery or arson upon your house. In any event of a shooting or justifiable homicide you are handcuffed and processed and go in front of a grand jury.

Welcome to New Yorkistan.

Minnesota

Open Carry: Yes
Conceald Carry Permit: Yes
Permit to Purchase: Yes
Owner Liscense Required: No
NFA weapons restriction: Yes
Castle Doctrine: No, well...not really. We have a defense of dwelling. But that does not include land, outbuildings, etc. They must be in the structure that is your primary residence.
Stand-Your-Ground: No

MN is a shall issue state, but requires an 8 hour class and the firing of a pistol. That pistol could be a .50AE or a .22LR, but a pistol must be shot at some point in time during the class. Some instructors and classes are better than others. I had a great class, my wife did not so much.

If deadly force is used, it must meet the following criteria:
1. You must be a reluctant participant. (you cannot be the aggressor, or instigator in any form.)
2. Reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death. Threats of later violence in this case do not count.
3. Retreat at all if possible. With the caveat that you are not required to retreat into more danger.
4. No lesser force would suffice. One must consider all options before using your weapon. The options do not have to be tried and failed, but one must take into account all possibilities.

Back