• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stocking up an many types of Ammo?

Wackostu

As a relatively new shotgunner, I am trying to stock up on some ammo in case SHTF or if supply runs out. I know for sure that I am hunting turkeys and pheasants, and possibly deer. I also want to defend my homestead from the government, thugs or zombies, which ever comes first.

I try to pick up a box or two whenever it is in stock at my LGS (which I don't get too very often) or Dicks/Walmart/Farm and Fleet (which I am at all the time).

What I have is:

90 rounds of Horniday/Federal Turkey
50 rounds of Federal #7 1/2 bird shot
100 rounds of Federal/Remington target loads
50 rounds Federal/Remington 00 buck
30 rounds of Remington slugs

Is there anything I am missing or should be purchasing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Wackostu said:
As a relatively new shotgunner, I am trying to stock up on some ammo in case SHTF or if supply runs out. I know for sure that I am hunting turkeys and pheasants, and possibly deer. I also want to defend my homestead from the government, thugs or zombies, which ever comes first.

I try to pick up a box or two whenever it is in stock at my LGS (which I don't get too very often) or Dicks/Walmart/Farm and Fleet (which I am at all the time).

What I have is:

What (specifically) slugs did you get? There's a bunch of different ones. If you got the standard Foster style rifled slug, I'd suggest also getting one of the Brenneke solid slug designs also- better penetration than the Foster design.

My philosophy is that if you have to ask, you don't have enough.

I have been picking up anything I can find when I find it at a decent price.

Just as an example I've been buying buck and birdshot at 100 rounds a pop from Walmart and online.

I'll never feel I'll enough if the supply was cut off completely.

You can never have enough...I have over 10k .22LR and if I ever come across a deal for .22LR I still buy them...

GunnyGene said:
Wackostu said:

What I have is:

What (specifically) slugs did you get? There's a bunch of different ones. If you got the standard Foster style rifled slug, I'd suggest also getting one of the Brenneke solid slug designs also- better penetration than the Foster design.

Gunny, slug-wise, all that has been available to me locally is your typical Remington "slugger" 3 inch shells.

I have not yet started looking at purchasing online but may have to.

MikeD said:
My philosophy is that if you have to ask, you don't have enough.

I have been picking up anything I can find when I find it at a decent price.

Just as an example I've been buying buck and birdshot at 100 rounds a pop from Walmart and online.

I'll never feel I'll enough if the supply was cut off completely.

This is sort-of how I feel about it as well. My general point was should I be looking at something specificly or whatever I can find. There is always Target and bird shot available here, but to come across 00 Buck is a scarce thing.

Then again if the SHTF, bird shot makes holes too at 15 yards.

DHonovich said:
You can never have enough...I have over 10k .22LR and if I ever come across a deal for .22LR I still buy them...

But here might be the difference. You are stocking up on one type of ammo. 22LR. I don't know much about 22LR ammo but with a 12ga, there are such huge variations with the loads that if I could be concentrating my dollars on something better then I already am that is where I would focus.

When it comes to 12g I have about 1000 2 3/4 rifled slugs for my deer guns, 250 2 3/4 buck shot, 100ish turkey loads and as much of the birdshot that I can keep in storage.

I would think about what you plan on using your shotgun for the most and stock up on that. I stocked up on slugs because if things went to hell and I needed to rely on my firearms the shotgun is my primary hunting weapon.

If you are really stocking up for a shtf situation pichka few versatile loads and focus on those. #6 birdshot works fine for turkey as well as other critters and with a little ingenuity can be turned into a slug of sorts (i.e. cut shell, wax slug, repurpose the shot , etc) .

Ive focused more on birdshot/light buchshot because its readily avail and can serve multiple roles. I still pick up more specialized stuff as I find good deals but I dont try to stockpile every possibility
Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

DHonovich said:
When it comes to 12g I have about 1000 2 3/4 rifled slugs for my deer guns, 250 2 3/4 buck shot, 100ish turkey loads and as much of the birdshot that I can keep in storage.

I would think about what you plan on using your shotgun for the most and stock up on that. I stocked up on slugs because if things went to hell and I needed to rely on my firearms the shotgun is my primary hunting weapon.

I feel the same, especially because my shotgun is my ONLY weapon.

MikeD said:
If you are really stocking up for a shtf situation pichka few versatile loads and focus on those. #6 birdshot works fine for turkey as well as other critters and with a little ingenuity can be turned into a slug of sorts (i.e. cut shell, wax slug, repurpose the shot , etc) .

Ive focused more on birdshot/light buchshot because its readily avail and can serve multiple roles. I still pick up more specialized stuff as I find good deals but I dont try to stockpile every possibility
Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Then what I am doing, could be OK. I need to focus less on the target loads and find more #6, and grab the buckshot whenever I see it.

What do you consider "light" buck shot to be?

Wackostu said:
Gunny, slug-wise, all that has been available to me locally is your typical Remington "slugger" 3 inch shells.

I have not yet started looking at purchasing online but may have to.

I ordered some Brenneke slugs a couple months ago via my LGS. Took about 3weeks, cost $10/box of 5.

You can download their catalog here. http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_products.html .

If you decide to order thru a gunshop, give them the Symbol Number. (Can't order direct from Brenneke)

I want to see solid brenneke slugs....a pic would satisfy me

OP, 3 inch sluggers will kill anything with skin on the North American Continent.

ding dong,,,UPS man,,,,,,

Attachments

• ammo.jpg
    ammo.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 221
wakotsu, I think you're going in the right direction.

Since you only have a shotgun, that makes stocking ammo a lot more simplified, or maybe a lot harder since you only have 1 gauge/caliber.

But anyway, I honestly do think the shotgun is one of the most versatile weapon choices out there. The only thing you give up with a shotgun is long range.

But on the other hand, as Oli700 pointed out, a 12 gauge will down any animal on this continent, and not a bad choice at all for a survival weapon.

It doesn't hurt to have a vast selection to choose from, whether it be low brass or high brass, and shot and slug for whatever the situation calls for.

old mossy, if that is your picture, I'm glad we're friends. But that picture makes me not like you a little at the same time.

:lol:

oli700 said:
I want to see solid brenneke slugs....a pic would satisfy me

OP, 3 inch sluggers will kill anything with skin on the North American Continent.

Ok, I know what you're driving at, and you're right. Brenneke's do have a shallow hollow on the back end of the lead, but they're more solid than Foster types and the wad stays attached to provide the necessary nose heavy stabilization that is accomplished in the Foster by a much deeper hollow. They are advertised as 'solid' slugs tho, and everything I've seen comparing them is that the Brenneke does not pancake on impact and thus penetrates deeper. But no doubt they will both do the job for most anything. :)

Wackostu said:

I guess light was the wrong term, I've been buying #4 because I have not found 00 in stock for the price I want to pay.

MikeD said:
Wackostu said:

I guess light was the wrong term, I've been buying #4 because I have not found 00 in stock for the price I want to pay.

That I have heard of. However, I haven't seen any #4 available, rarely 00 or even 000. But I snatch it up when I see it.

Time to start ordering online brothers.

Back