• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Teacher suspended for bringing weapons to school

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I guess if I say it was Chicago and the weapons were wrenches, screw drivers and pliers it will say a lot. I have to go now and clear out my son's kid size workbench of these lethal items. I even let him have a hammer. I didn't realize what bad parent I must be until I read this and that's not even counting his multi tool.

Attorneys for The Rutherford Institute have filed a civil rights lawsuit against a Chicago public school district on behalf of a second-grade teacher who was suspended after he displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class.

Despite the fact that all potentially hazardous items were kept out of the students' reach, school officials at Washington Irving Elementary School informed Doug Bartlett, a 17-year veteran in the classroom, that his use of the tools as visual aids endangered his students. Bartlett was subsequently penalized with a four-day suspension without pay - charged with possessing, carrying, storing or using a weapon.

The complaint charges that Bartlett "suffered humiliation, embarrassment, mental suffering, and lost wages, and was suspended for four days" - and asks for "nominal and compensatory damages" and for the suspension to be expunged from the teacher's record.

"This school district's gross overreaction to a simple teaching demonstration on basic tools such as wrenches and pliers underscores exactly what is wrong with our nation's schools," said Rutherford Institute Pres. John Whitehead.

"What makes this case stand out from the rest is that this latest victim of zero tolerance policies run amok happens to be a veteran school teacher," Whitehead said.

None of the tools were made accessible to the students. When not in use, the tools were secured in a toolbox on a high shelf out of reach of the students. They were used to demonstrate the proper use of tools.

This "zero tolerance" crap makes me sick. I am weary of people hiding behind that statement.

Just when the sheeple have enough of this idiocy?

Sadly, the same mentality of these clowns who would suspend a teacher over "dangerous" hand tools is what we are fighting against trying to pass a CCW Bill here in the Peoples Republik of Illinois. It is almost as if Cook County has became an intelligence/common sense black hole......The liberal mindset is so fundamentally ingrained in all levels of leadership in that area that it boggles the mind. I am unable to think of ANY other city/county in the US that would stay the same course in regards to law enforcement and politics despite continually leading the country in homicides and sending politicians to jail like it is part of the normal process. It's truly incredible........

And all I can do is shake my head.......

Ripsnortr said:
This "zero tolerance" crap makes me sick. I am weary of people hiding behind that statement.

Just when the sheeple have enough of this idiocy?
Stupidity and idiocy are rampant. It's like my mom used to love saying "you cut your nose off to spite your face". We've descended to new lows in our society, when tools for performing actual work requiring physical skill and ability are considered weapons in our classrooms. Its sad, sick really. How far we have fallen from what is reasonable, normal or acceptable. Bizarre!

We've somehow lost our way, can't see the bloody forest for the trees.

You can educate the ignorant...you can't fix stupid.

I have zero tolerance for stupidity.

I hope the school teacher and his lawyer teaches the school board a thing or two.

What exactly makes these tool deadly weapons?

I got stabbed twice that I can remember with #2 pencils hard enough to break the skin, yet these same pencils are handed out freely to students.

I got a 2nd degree burn once when I got pushed into a pipe for the steam register in one of my classrooms.

I even hed several stiches when I fell and caught my lower jaw on a cement tile that was part of the playground toys.

I got hit in the groin with a baseball during a superviosed game during recess, and I won't even detail all the broken glasses and bruises i got playing dodge ball (something I guess they can't even play now).

I can not recall ever being injured by pliers, wrenches etc, and that includes the time in woodshop and a robotics course.

This is honestly one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. We're truly going off the deep end.

All tools for instructional purposes should be made of that Nerf stuff. Oh, wait -- That wouldn't pass the paranoid safety test either, since a nerf tool could be stuffed down somebody's throat and choke them to death. :roll:

My God.

Just last week my wife (a Middle School teacher) had 7th and 8th Grade students for an entire afternoon helping with the landscaping of an outdoor pavilion/classroom. She took from our garage several shovels, a 5-tine pitchfork, hedge clippers, a hoe, and God knows what other pointy and sharp objects. Hell, she also took a string trimmer. Crap, come to think of it it was a fully-automatic string trimmer in that with one single pull of the trigger it could continue to inflict cutting injuries as long as the trigger was held back.

GunnyGene said:
All tools for instructional purposes should be made of that Nerf stuff. Oh, wait -- That wouldn't pass the paranoid safety test either, since a nerf tool could be stuffed down somebody's throat and choke them to death. :roll:
If I read current standards correctly the Nerf hammer is out. I'm pretty sure that even a photo of a Nerf hammer would be out as it would still depict and represent the dangerous device. Make a doodle on paper and a school official asks 'what is that' don't answer 'a Nerf hammer' I'm pretty sure you'll be arrested.

Okay I'm off. Got to change the brass in the tumbler (reloading hundreds of rounds of ammo later!) and get out to the garage (chop saw, table saw, drill press...) to make a new front rifle rest to take to the pistol and tifle club.

Hush-hush, wink! (Secret handshake!).

Forget that the use of tools is an important criteria for determining intelligent life. I guess some schools have abandoned trying to further the intelligence of young people.

nitesite said:
Forget that the use of tools is an important criteria for determining intelligent life. I guess some schools have abandoned trying to further the intelligence of young people.

Intelligence is not required of sheep. Ever hear the quote: "The pen is mightier than the sword"? That's a very scary concept to people like those mentioned in the OP. Sheep only need to do 3 things. Consume, reproduce, and submit to shearing.

"Like lambs to the slaughter" (biblical) - something that you say about someone who does something or goes along calmly and happily, not knowing that something unpleasant is going to happen to them.

nitesite said:
My God.

Just last week my wife (a Middle School teacher) had 7th and 8th Grade students for an entire afternoon helping with the landscaping of an outdoor pavilion/classroom. She took from our garage several shovels, a 5-tine pitchfork, hedge clippers, a hoe, and God knows what other pointy and sharp objects. Hell, she also took a string trimmer. Crap, come to think of it it was a fully-automatic string trimmer in that with one single pull of the trigger it could continue to inflict cutting injuries as long as the trigger was held back.

And exactly why I couldn't live happily anywhere but in the South. ^ This is just normal activity to me.

Please tell Mrs. Nitesite that I said thank you for me.

Not only for doing something meaningful with those children and for others who will follow and enjoy the pavillion in the future, but also thank you for teaching those that helped her how to be productive members of society. Whether the children know it or not yet. That's what they were learning. And I'm sure other things too.

Nitesite, if she were a member here, that would've earned her a + rep point from me on the spot. :cool:

nitesite said:
Hell, she also took a string trimmer. Crap, come to think of it it was a fully-automatic string trimmer in that with one single pull of the trigger it could continue to inflict cutting injuries as long as the trigger was held back.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And exactly why I couldn't live happily anywhere but in the South. ^ This is just normal activity to me.

I am not in the south but I can say this is a normal activity here too and our school would not have frowned on the tool demo either. My worry going forward is that we are between two larger, liberal cities with another one an hour south in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. This PC garbage seems to be slowly spreading out and I know that it will arrive here at some point. I read about the reaction of kids looking at tools and here I am contemplating at what age my boy should be mowing the grass. It's one of the for a kid to earn money in the summer.

My compliments to Mrs. Nitesite too!

As we get a few generations of kids that grow up not even looking at a tool, those that know how to pick one up and actually use it should be able to command a nice price for doing work. Of course that assumes the border is shut off and controlled but that's another thread.

Now just to keep a balanced perspective on this...

The Rutherford Institute version of the story is biased because they are representing the teacher in litigation. Their version left out one important bit of information. The teacher included a box cutter and a pocket knife in his tool demo. Those were not necessary to be included, but he chose to in violation of the school prohibition banning knives on campus. It wasn't pliers and wrenches that got his d*** in a wringer.

Did anyone else notice that this is just coming out but it occurred during the 2011-2012 school year?

Thanks for the reality check Nitesite. I appreciate it.

No, I didn't realize he also had a pocket knife and box cutter or the timing. I went back and looked up the link I copied the article from to make sure I didn't miss it. I found other sources that also neglected that little fact but I did find his legal submission and it's in there. The knife was what he was specifically suspended for.

I need to remember that the conservative media will also twist things to make their points. I would think that their is plenty of real news without this kind of stuff.

Amazing how one little detail included or excluded from a report can totally change the entire context

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Back