What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Top Shot" (SEASON #3 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Top Shot" Thread

Where's the stats on the rock? :lol:

OK...the rocks weighed anywhere between 25 to 35 grams apiece...ballistically speaking, each was oblong in shape and made from granite with a little quartz thrown in...

How's that Rip ?! :D

Nicely done sir.....

Dang thorough Shooter! Cant send rep... must share more first! Rip, same...

I liked the show last night, not my normal thing, but it was still cool! ;)

Now the cannon, that was pretty sweet! I really thought Jarret had it all together and would be the clear winner, but I think the turning point was the mistake made with locking the chamber. The other guy made the mistake in practice and learned the lesson there, and when it happened to Jarret in competition, it completely shifted his confidence and momentum.

I dont understand why Jake hasnt been sent to elimination yet... I dislike him.

Yea Rossignol...Jake is not liked by many...even some on his own team. And he really hasn't been a performer for the BLUE Team...it's just the RED Team is doing worst.

I thought the show was good, throwing in a different twist to shake up the contestants and the series. Taking them out of their element proves who will be able to adapt with each new challenge.

Next week has them using an AR15 platform...a VLTOR VIS equipped system...as well as the "Corner Shot" system...usually with a Glock mounted to the frame.

So you think corner shot for elimination?

SHOOTER13 said:
OK...the rocks weighed anywhere between 25 to 35 grams apiece...ballistically speaking, each was oblong in shape and made from granite with a little quartz thrown in...
I thought the rocks were consistantly sized although I haven't verified shoot13's weight disclosure--~1oz seems light to me... :?:

If I was there for the rock elimination, I would have thrown the rock, not lob it like I was playing beer pong or something! ;)

I'm all-of-a-sudden liking the idea of a boulder toss! :lol:

Once, as a young teen, I was walking down a neighborhood street and there is this big-arse muskrat (2'?) just off the road up on its haunches hissing at me--probably rabid--I don't recall. I DO know it was probably lost as the nearest pond was about 1/2 mile away. For reasons unknown (adreneline?), I dispatched it with a couple rocks, about 3x3x1 inch shale. One rock hit its back, causing it to writhe in agony so the next was a close-up to the head putting it out of its misery. I still feel a little bad about it all these years later (35?), killing an animal but not eating it... :idea:

Hey Bob...it was a joke...I have no idea what the size and weight of the rocks were...as it was not disclosed on the show.

EPISODE #6

Turn the Corner

Premier Date: 09/13/2011

==================================================================

Contestants are shocked to see two Top Shot champions return as honorary captains for the team challenge. First Season Winner Ian Harrison guest captains the BLUE Team and Second Season Winner Chris Reed guest captains the RED Team, with each team sponsoring a designated charity who will stand to win $5000. BLUE Team's charity is the Wounded Warrior Project, and RED Team's charity is the Make A Wish Foundation. The Marksmen will compete with a just-released, ultra modern assault rifle and an Israeli made special forces gadget. Tensions flare when an argument erupts between two competitors on the same team.

The first Team Challenge involves using a newly released AR platform from VLTOR...the TS3. The competitors must run and shoot under stress between 5 platforms 16 feet apart, connected by ropes of various design...shooting at two targets set at 75 and 100 yards in front of each platform. The team that hits all their targets and transitions the fastest between the platforms ( fastest time total ) wins the challenge. RED Team goes first and burns up the course, finishing in 2 minutes and 27 seconds. The BLUE Team has a slow start when Billy takes 14 shots to hit the first two targets...then they pick up the pace a little and finish with a time of 3 minutes and 12 seconds. RED Team wins the challenge and the Make a Wish Foundation wins the $5000 prize donation.

WINNER: RED Team

=================================================================

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the BLUE Team are: Jake & Paul

( And Jake is pissed !! )

The BLUE Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using the Israeli made "Corner Shot"... which uses a platform designed to hold a Glock 18 in a frame that pivots around corners and uses a heads up video display to let the user stay hidden behind cover while negotiating the shot. The two contestants go one at a time as they run to 3 separate stations and engage 3 targets ( jars ) set at 35 feet around barriers...first left...then right...then through a opening above...the first contestant to hit all 9 targets the fastest wins the challenge. Paul goes first...runs to the first stage and hits the first target with the first shot, then hits the second target with the third shot and then the third target with the fifth shot. Then he scrambles to the second area...hitting his three targets in six shots...then runs to the third area and hits three for three...finishing with a time of 2:34.

Now it's Jakes turn...he scrambles up to the first stage and hits all 3 jars with just 3 shots...goes to the second stge and does the same...3 for 3...and then repeats it again 3 for 3...using unbelievable skill to win the challenge in only 48 seconds.

WINNER: Jake ( who takes out his frustrations on being nominated on his BLUE Teamates )

VLTOR TS3

M4CARBINE.jpg

ISRAELI CORNER SHOT

ISRAELICORNERSHOT.jpg

So, what did everyone think of this weeks show ?!

They did say they got the very first VLTOR TS3's to use for the 1st team challenge...a flat top M4 platform setup with BUIS's.

And the Israeli made Corner Shot platform, holding a Glock 18 was an interesting design that I had first seen last year on the Military Channel.

Anybody watch last night...!?

Anybody even care ?!

I watch the series to see the weapons and the competition...not the hype. Hell, I guess you could just go to the History Channel and look up the results...

If I'm wasting my time posting this event every week, just let me know...!!

I got plenty of time...but none to waste ! :cool:

Colby apparently has a had time pronouncing Vltor. :lol:

Not sure why Jake can't play nice.

It was a pleasure to see them throw in a donation to a charity as a prize.

Here I am...just got home.

I cannot stand Jake. No sir, don't like em.
The info on the cable text for the show, said there was a fight. I watched it twice. I saw nothing other than alpha's talking sh**. On the same team! That's just not good teamwork. hopefully Jake gets eaten by a coyote when he's sleeping on the deck.... :twisted:

I was in to the corner shot. I find it very cool. However I have no need for it, but I bet it's awesome in the urban areas for police and swat. As well as in the combat field.

also.. thank you shooter for posting this. if I am unable to watch it when it's on or when i have recorded it, i can surf my phone and check in here.

Old school corner shot.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LwpjDl.jpg

Good show, I always enjoy Top Shot. I just dont like Jake. Hes a jerk and runs his mouth too much. I know the show isnt "Top Personality" but I really vote people out based on their nasty disposition.

Now, for the VLTOR, nice gun. Another one I know by name and reputation only. I like M4/AR platforms, especially an MRP. But it doesnt get me worked up... Cool challenge though, like a big playset that totally kicks your butt!

Corner shot is sweet! I'd try it at least twice. Jake really did do a great job and posted an impressive time. I still want him gone.

Hard for me to get excited over an AR and a Glock...just seems they are around every corner these days, guess thats why I dont have an AR....I would take one for sure but....I want an AUG for a modern carbine, lol. The corner shot device its self is cool. Probably save some lives. The weapons are cool I'm just not feeling the contestants this year....not real impressed with any of them. I thought I was going to be impressed at first ,by a couple, but nope.

I think everyone...Blue Team as well as Red...and most of the viewers, want to see Jake gone.

But, he did put in an impressive run with that corner shot...48 seconds!

I don't see him going to the final two...

I just got done watching the first two seasons on Netflix and while some of the events where interesting, i agree with the majority about just fast forwarding through the non-shooting scenes. I'll have to check out the past episodes for this season when I get some time.

EPISODE #7

Tricked Out

Premier Date: 09/20/2011

A world famous pistol champion ( Jerry Miculek ) teaches teams some extremely difficult trick shots including shooting while blindfolded. The Blue Team is in disarray after team member Jake vows to go it alone. The elimination challenge features the classic cowboy skill of shooting from the hip.

* Before the practice sessions for the team challenge, Billy of the BLUE Team withdrew from the competition due to complications in his wife's pregnancy. Since this decision left the Red Team with one extra member, they were allowed to decide for themselves which player would be benched.

The first Team Challenge involves using a Smith & Wesson Model 686 in .38 caliber and a Volquartsen semi-automatic rifle in .22 caliber to pull off some trick shots at four stations. The first station the teams go head to head shooting the M686 holding the revolver upside down, and firing at 3 beer bottles from 30 feet. RED Team goes first with Gary going three for three, busting all the bottles. Then it's BLUE Teams turn, with Jake missing his first shot...thereby not having enough to win. RED team gets the point. Then it's BLUE Teams Dustin against RED Teams Bill firing the Volquartsen rifle at 3 cotton swabs from 25 feet...Dustin hitting 2 of the three swabs. Bill goes next and only hits 1 of the three...BLUE Team winning the point. Then it's RED Teams Mike versus Alex of the BLUE Team firing the rifle at 3 compact discs from 35 feet, trying to shoot through the center hole without breaking the plastic. Mike misses all three shots...while Alex hits 1 of three to win a point for the BLUE Team. The final station involves Mike of the BLUE and Cliff of the RED shooting the M686 revolver while blindfolded, firing 3 pairs of shots at 2 gallon jugs from 25 feet. Mike misses the first 2 shots, then Cliff misses the next two shots, then Mike goes again and misses two for two and then Cliff misses two for two until it's down to the last set of trys both teams. Mike steps up and squeezes off his two last shots...and hits both of the jugs dead on. Now, since the BLUE Team has 3 points to RED Teams 1 point...Cliff can't possibly win and does not get to shoot.

WINNER: RED Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Mike & Cliff

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using a Schofield Break Top Single Action Revolver...the 5" barreled Pinkerton Model...with one shooter at a time firing at 10 targets from 25 feet, shooting from the hip so that the bullets pass under a hitching rail. Shooters use two revolvers, each loaded with 5 rounds. Higher number of targets hit wins the challenge. Mike goes first and hits two out of ten plates. Cliff gets right to work and hits two for two with the first revolver then misses a few, then finishes strong with three more hits to win the challenge.

WINNER: Cliff ( 5 hits to Mike's 2 of 10 )

S&W Model 686

SWM686-1.jpg

Volquartsen Semi Auto Rimfire

VOLQUARTSEN22RIMFIRE-1.jpg

S&W Schofield SA Revolver

SWSCHOFIELD-1.jpg

===================================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.