• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ugh...more new 590a1 issues!

natiep

.22LR
Well I fixed the broken locking block pin in my brand new, never been fired 590a1 and am having another issue.

The shotgun has not yet been fired.

I disassembled it this morning to clean and oil the shotgun. After reassembly, I racked the slide a bunch of times. When I rack the slide rearward forcefully, it will stick back and I have to push forward pretty hard to get it to slide forward.

Any thoughts what the issue is? Do I just have to rack the snot out of it to loosen it up? Or shoot it a bunch to break the gun in?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying this headache of a shotgun?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

There can be a lot of factory grease and gunk in the internals that'll bind up the action, so make sure it's good 'n clean with a little lube. The action will loosen up quite a bit after a few trips to the range. Keep us posted...

Thanks for the tip. Yup, I did clean it thoroughly and re-oil the gun.

I'm thinking of racking the heck out of it for a while and see if things settle in.

A few of us around here have done the same thing, racking the pump back and forth while watching TV. Definitely help speed up the break-in process...

I think the issue is the elevator causing the action to get stuck back.

I just disassembled the shotgun again and put it back together but I left the elevator out and the gun cycles smoothly. It doesn't hang up.

What do you think the fix is? A new elevator?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Does the elevator appear bent or warped to one side?

Not that I can tell.

I think I am just going to call Mossberg Monday morning and tell them I am shipping the shotgun back to them to be fixed.

A brand new shotgun shouldn't come from the factory with a broken bolt lock pin and cycling issues.

Thanks for your help and comments!

How 'bout the shell stopper?

The elevator could be getting hung up on your shell stopper if it's bent too far outward. We've seen a lot of new 590s lately with this issue. It's a relatively thin piece and can be bent back into position. If this is the problem it's an easy home fix and would save you the trouble of having to send your shotgun back...

My shell stopper does have a very slight "bow" in it. Isn't is supposed to? It's not supposed to be as flat as the cartridge interrupter is it? It has to be able to be pressed out of the way to let the shot shell pass by.

It should angle outward from about the last inch of its length.

What we've seen lately are out of spec stoppers that are bent too far. When cycling the pump, can you see the stopper making contact with the elevator?

Also, If I try to unload the shotgun using the manuals instructions of pressing in on the cartridge stop, the shot shell will pop out a 1/4 inch or so then hits the elevator and won't go any further.

When this happens can you guide the shell out by pulling it away from the elevator or is it good 'n stuck?

Same thing happens on mine, but if I move the shell outward the spring pushes it the rest of the way out...

Well, now with a loaded magazine, when I pull the slide back the shell does not leave the magazine. I can pump it a few times and no shell is ejected into the chamber. It seems the problem is getting worse.

I think it would be best if I just called Mossberg on Monday and get them to fix it. Too bad I have to send in a brand new shotgun for warranty work!

Yeah, that sucks.

Here's the number...

(800) 363-3555

When you call Mossberg, make sure they provide you with an RMA label so you don't have to pay for shipping. If the rep gives you any issues, ask to speak with Javier Contreras. He's the CS supervisor and will get you taken care of. It will help to send a letter detailing your issues when you send it in and request that they provide you with details of whet they did to correct the problem. Keep us posted...

Thank you very much for your help and comments! They are most appreciated!

Yup, I'll call them Monday morning and insist on a prepaid shipping label as this is a brand new shotgun. I'll also include a detailed letter explaining the problems as well as include the broken bolt lock pin.

I certainly will keep you posted on the progress of this issue.

Thanks again very much!

Nate

Thank you Sir,

We certainly strive to make Mossberg Owners THE BEST resource for information on all things Mossberg related and maybe a few other things that aren't. Glad you guys are enjoying the site...

Back