• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unintended Consequences

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Kind of an open thread with this, but I'm sure everyone has a story or 3 to tell about Unintended Consequences, personal experience or otherwise. This one caught my attention, because I don't own a cell phone, and had never thought about them being a target of street thieves. But it makes sense. Lots of valuable info on these things, in addition to free phone calls to Bangladesh, etc. ;) :shock:

Anyway in terms of UC, apparently nobody ever thought this ubiquitous technology would lead to this, or they'd have addressed the issue years ago:

Apple, others to meet with law enforcement over violent phone thefts

With violent street thefts of smartphones and other mobile gear continuing to be a problem, top law enforcement officials from New York and San Francisco will meet with Apple, Google, and other manufacturers next week to discuss possible tech solutions, such as a "kill switch" that would render stolen devices worthless.

"With 1.6 million Americans falling victim to smartphone theft in 2012, this has become a national epidemic," San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon said in a press release Wednesday. "Unlike other types of crimes, smartphone theft can be eradicated with a simple technological solution."

Gascon and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman will meet with representatives from Apple, Google/Motorola, Samsung, and Microsoft on June 13 in New York. Schneiderman sent a letter to the companies on May 13, requesting information on what they're doing to make their phones more safe and secure from thieves. And earlier in the month, The New York Times ran a piece calling attention to the issue.

"The theft of handheld devices is the fastest-growing street crime, and increasingly, incidents are turning violent," Schneiderman said in Wednesday's release. "It's time for manufacturers to be as innovative in solving this problem as they have been in designing devices that have reshaped how we live."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575878 ... ne-thefts/

They call it apple picking. :roll: Theives run by people that have their iphones in their hands walking down the street, and grab them right out of their hands. It makes it easy for the scumbag to change passwords, gain access to everything on your phone, because you were using it. So it is on, and unlocked.
Easy pickings. :eek:

I told my wife this had better not happen to her. She said she always pays attention to her surroundings. :D
And never walks with it like the zombiesheeple do...

Copper wires and tubing is worth a mint when people burn down (hopefully) empty houses for the arsonist to come back later to get the stripped copper out of it.

Catylictic convertors have a lot of platinum in them, so are a prime target for car thieves. For some reason, airbags are also a common target of interest.

fiber optic phone and cable lines do not have copper in it, so don't waste your time cutting it down.

Not all electric pole ground wires are copper. The newer is just copper clad aluminum.

Lots of other examples out there, but thieves are not exactly known for their nice behavior and/or logic.

We have a rail line that had been unused for many years and they were going to make it into a linear hiking/biking trail. The electric lines were still above the bed. A 23 year old drug addict decided to steal the copper. He ignored the high voltage warning signs and proceeded to climb up and electrocute himself on the still used electric line.

I use to like an occasional day in a bigger city but you guys have reminded me why I avoid them like the plague now.

ripjack13 said:
...walks with it like the zombiesheeple do...

I always yell at my Mrs. for doing this.......

But we have been having problems with people "shunting" the rail and then doing this new-age train heist. When the train stops because they have a bad track signal and by FRA rule must stop upon finding the "obstruction" which is usually a pair of heavy duty jumper cables on the rail.... The perps find a FED-EX or USPS trailer on the train and bust it open, jack what looks good and usually get away. Last October, a J.B. Hunt container box was busted open and all the contents emptied while the train was stopped for a re-crew at an "Away from Terminal Location"... Anyone have any guesses on what the lucky SOB's got away with???

An undetermined amount of Flat Screen TVs, Laptops and other electronics... how much money in electronics do you think a 50ft Container can hold?? Enough that made the Railroad issue a new brand of 1-time use locks that require "The Jaws of Life" to snap off lol

Back