• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp, Mossberg

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I've got my VCS barrel from Vang! I sent my 20" 590A1 stock barrel and had it back in just over a week!

Since I have already patterned and shot from this barrel in stock form and documented what I've witnessed, its especially exciting to be able see the differences, a direct side x side comparison of stock vs. VCS.

I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to shoot, whether this weekend or next, but here are a few pics for now!

Attachments

• Vang_Comp_590A1_01.JPG
    Vang_Comp_590A1_01.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,661
  • Vang_Comp_590A1_03.JPG
    Vang_Comp_590A1_03.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Vang_Comp_590A1_04.JPG
    Vang_Comp_590A1_04.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Vang_Comp_590A1_05.JPG
    Vang_Comp_590A1_05.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,659
Sooo why cant you take 30 minutes and shoot it ? Because its photo shop isnt it.....isnt it ;)

Well, I could I guess, but I wont be able to do all the testing I want in that time. I could shoot though!!! :)

Dude just go shoot it, you can tell without being all official .....just a quicky......you know microwave shooting..tell me about muzze rise or recoil.Give me

Its probably dark where you live, do a test right now on the weapon light and muzzle flash, take out your persuader and the 590 so you can compare muzzle flash…..record it and post it up. That would be pretty original if you think about it, imagine the hits on YouTube you’ll be a star bro :p but seriously I havent seen a muzzle flash review

Good idea, but I cant do it here. I'm technically inside city limits.

I'd like to do that though for sure, I'll see if I can set it up, I only have to go a couple minutes down the road so I'll try and get a hold of my buddy tomorrow!

cool, probably frowned on in city limits. For some reason I thought you were shooting on your place

oli700 said:
cool, probably frowned on in city limits. For some reason I thought you were shooting on your place

Nah, I'm real close to being outside of town, and I could set stands up across the creek, fire from my front door and be hitting targets outside of city limits. Cant do that either, or I'd a had alot of deer by now!

Looks awesome Brad! I am going to try and get out and shoot this weekend as well but will see how the weather holds up.

Thanks Dan!

Ahh, the weather... I know how that goes. We're past all that craziness with the exception of those pop up storms that come with summer time.

We did some shooting! Nothing super formal, just put the same rounds though both the 590A1 and the Persuader, Federal full power rifled slugs, Winchester Super X full power 00 buck and Federal TruBall low recoil rifled slugs. Ally did some Hornady 00 buck in the 590A1 only so I dont have a direct comparison, but this was the first time she fired the 590A1 standing up.

I'm working on video and will try to isolate a couple pics of the muzzle flash.

Here are a couple pics, not a complete review yet. This is Federal TruBall low recoil fired from the 20" VCS Mossberg 590A1 and from the 20" non-VCS Mossberg 500A Persuader!

VCS Barrel

Non-VCS Barrel

The difference in muzzle flash isnt as obvious when watching the video, but by isolating the flash into side x side pics, you can def see the difference. The VCS barrel produced a flash that was shorter in length and more red, more of a ball of flash. Additionally, if you look just left of the red flash, you can see the gasses being ported up from the barrel. The non-VCS barrel produced more of a white column, longer in length overall and if you look to the right side of the pic you can see a streak of white. I'm not certain yet what that is, but the 20" Persuader produced this "streak" consistently and was not at all witnessed from the VCS barrel.

I have more to go through yet and will post as I am able... Much work to do today that unfortunately has little or nothing to do with firearms.

Attachments

• Vang_Comp_MuzzleFlash_500A01.JPG
    Vang_Comp_MuzzleFlash_500A01.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Vang_Comp_MuzzleFlash_590A101.JPG
    Vang_Comp_MuzzleFlash_590A101.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,575
Here are the Federal full power rifled slugs with very similar results.

VCS Barrel

Non-VCS Barrel

Oh, and the biggest difference here between the VCS and non-VCS barrels with the full power slugs is that the non-VCS barrel seems to produce a magical flaming bunny from the end of the muzzle flash! Reference the far right side of the flash in the bottom photo! Also see below! :lol:

Attachments

• Vang_Comp_FederalSlug_MuzzleFlash_500A01.JPG
    Vang_Comp_FederalSlug_MuzzleFlash_500A01.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,565
  • Vang_Comp_FederalSlug_MuzzleFlash_590A101.JPG
    Vang_Comp_FederalSlug_MuzzleFlash_590A101.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,565
  • Flaming_Bunny_01.JPG
    Flaming_Bunny_01.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 1,556
  • Flaming_Bunny_00.JPG
    Flaming_Bunny_00.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,555
Oli, from the video we did, though it was light enough I could see my targets, everything on video looks like midnight. I wanted more to be able to go back and look through. I have some video to edit yet.

I will comment though, and I think its important to mention here both stocks are Hogue. The most noticable difference in recoil to me was with the full power slugs. The second set of pictures are those of the Federal full power, and the difference in muzzle flash I'd say supports what I observed.

I didnt notice a huge difference in perceived or felt recoil with the TruBall low recoil load, and I only fired a few of the 00 buck, not enough to comment.

Back