• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Velcro shell holders vs mounted types

Title says all folks.

Since I have a new 500 inbound soon been thinking if I should get another Tac Star shell holder for it as well. However I've been thinking of trying one of those velcro types I see all of you guys rolling with.

While I don't regret getting the Tac Star it just feels kinda cheap to me. So far its worked out well but I'd like to try something different this go around.

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php ... cts_id=695

This is one I've been thinking I might give a shot. I like the idea that I could attach an elastic shell holder to any velcro so in the future with certain tac vests, a bug out bag etc.... could prove extremely useful. The pouch could be attached via molle to anything of the like as well or just simply use the molle to loop around any belt in a quick pinch.

Right now the S&J one looks promising but what else do you all know of thats similar in comparison to consider? Thanks in advance for any response.

What you could do is pickup 1 shell holder from Esstac, 3 Gun Gear or Original SOE and a little bit of velcro from Walmart. That way if for some reason you don't like it you would only be out a little bit.

I think once you try you will find it works pretty good though. :D

I'm running the 3 gun gear on my 590A1 and my 930. Doesn't interfere with internals by messing with the receiver, 5 min install, WORKS.

over 1,800 with my 590A1

over 1,500 with my 930

velcro still bad ass.

Velcro saddles are the best thing going side saddle wise. Just remember to check them for function. Toss any that are not retaining shells. OSOE are my favorite. Eestac and 3gungear are also quality.

Nick Burkhardt said:
Doesn't the Velcro you stick to the shotgun absorb cleaning solvents and gun oil?

Once cured, the industrial velcro is pretty solid. I run a velcro side saddle as well and haven't had any problems with it coming off from cleaning or oil... but I'm also a little more careful about not soaking it either. One of the reasons I chose to go with the velcro (besides quick access to more cards!) is that I can run the 590 without if I decide that day I didn't want/need it. Ditto on the 3gungear and ESTAC's!

JG, try velcro and see how you like it... you can always remove it and clean'er back up if you doesn't fit your system ;)

I have the 3GunGear velcro side saddle and I love it. I was very skeptical of velcro at first but it has held up nicely.

I am surprised so many people like it.
The idea is killer…..I don’t care what people say, its adhesive.
If it was so awesome a lot more things would be held together with it rather than a fastener, an actual physical binding can’t be beat for full proof.

There is a lot of it out there, but it will never outlast nuts and bolts.

I have mentioned this before but since I just removed the entire set up from my work truck Friday I decided to take a couple pictures of the melted adhesive.

This was a lap top , not being suspended by Velcro but just being held in place on a flat surface. It turned the center consul into fly paper by the end of last summer. The Velcro used here is the best money can buy, none better available.

My guns can end up anywhere for a while, might end up in my rig for a while or in a camp for a while, no padded case, no babying….not disrespected but not worshipped either like some range shooters who think if it makes it from the safe to the car to the bench and back to the safe its bullet proof equipment.

Also, snow ,ice,mud and hair plugs Velcro. Drop that card in the mud and try to get it stuck to your receiver.

I don’t have any exp with solvents and adhesive but I imagine as they keep making these badass modern cleaners and penetrating lubes…..I can't see how adhesive can be impervious to them. I cleaned all that crap out of my truck with WD40…..not to high tech

Anyway just another opinion for ya

What??? You don't like velcro... way to be out of the loop (ha... pun inteded) Get with the times man... :lol:

Oli, I think your point is a valid one and if I lived somewhere that's hot, or at least got hot summers, I would probably think twice about using velcro. My only beef so far with it is that it covers up the 590A1 stamp on the side, I like being a range queen somtimes ;)

My Tac Star self destructed in a long shotgun string in competition. The aluminum base let go of the nylon (plastic) shell holder - that helped the Loctite to give it up on one attachment. It interfered with loading and firing ( beyond breaking concentration) - I pulled it off but still timed out. It was one , long stage 30+ objectives (the guys at Benchrest like to have 'fun'). I epoxied it back together, upped my Loctite application and have used it since - just haven't gotten around to going to Velcro yet.

Think I told this story in another thread - goes to relevance sir!

yeah, I wouldn't do the Tac Star either.....too much plastic thin plastic

this is the only side saddle for me, failure is always an option in a competition, you don't get a second chance when its your life

Well Oli, if you have an extra Mesa sitting around, I'll do you the honors of comparing the two ;)

EDIT: Is that a 1907 sling on your Mossberg? I've been trying to find a high quality one for my Garand

The Mesa has a weak spot too, the rubber tube .

There are different choices in retention and they will send them too you for free but its still a consumable to and extent……always a trade off , this one has less of them as far as I can tell

Sling
yeah , I had in for a bit. Its an Uncle Mike but its too slick. There are some real nice replicas that would be outstanding on your killer rifle.....I wouldn't put the Uncle Mikes on the Garand. Its good quality but not quite awesome......probably just needs some oil and age

here is a good link for you when you find a worthy sling
http://carnival.saysuncle.com/001086.html

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I'll have to make an order soon somewhere. Still trying to decide what I'm replacing that cruiser pistol grip with.

oli700 said:
I am surprised so many people like it.
The idea is killer…..I don’t care what people say, its adhesive.
If it was so awesome a lot more things would be held together with it rather than a fastener, an actual physical binding can’t be beat for full proof.

There is a lot of it out there, but it will never outlast nuts and bolts.

I have mentioned this before but since I just removed the entire set up from my work truck Friday I decided to take a couple pictures of the melted adhesive.

This was a lap top , not being suspended by Velcro but just being held in place on a flat surface. It turned the center consul into fly paper by the end of last summer. The Velcro used here is the best money can buy, none better available.

My guns can end up anywhere for a while, might end up in my rig for a while or in a camp for a while, no padded case, no babying….not disrespected but not worshipped either like some range shooters who think if it makes it from the safe to the car to the bench and back to the safe its bullet proof equipment.

Also, snow ,ice,mud and hair plugs Velcro. Drop that card in the mud and try to get it stuck to your receiver.

I don’t have any exp with solvents and adhesive but I imagine as they keep making these badass modern cleaners and penetrating lubes…..I can't see how adhesive can be impervious to them. I cleaned all that crap out of my truck with WD40…..not to high tech

Anyway just another opinion for ya

Oli. While I agree with you own Velcro on some items, I think your are really comparing apples to oranges. Vinyl, plastic and leather items hold more oil. As it heats it releases the oils. A gun finish, even parkerizing can have 90% of the oil removed before any sticky substance like 3M adhesive is applied. Vinyl, plastic and leather, to a lesser extent, cant have all the oils removed or even over 50%, as vinyl and plastic is a oil based material and leather would dissolve if too much oils removed.

The shotgun receiver after proper cleaning should have a very good porous surface for adhesive to attach.

now, this is my opinion only and you may be 100% correct. :D

I think you overanalyzing the issue I am pointing out...... its because it gets 170 degrees in the cab.....stick Velcro to your firearm if you like, makes no difference to me.
I was just showing a picture of meted adhesive......that was bulletproof all winter.
I imagine heat would be magnified if the adhesive was on a metal surface....in fact I know it is because I have grabbed a hot gun from the cab of my personal truck more than once.

Oil, no disrespect intended, you may be correct. I haven't ran my shotgun that hard or in extreme heat yet. I know when I tried to take it off, that little bugger of Velcro was really stuck on their. Also, it didn't effect the finish at all. The new piece is sticking just as strong.

-don

Back