• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vortex Optics Review Thread...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
This is a thread dedicated to reviews of Vortex Optics...

VORTEX Optics Ranger 1000 Rangefinder Review
p1195469518-4.jpg

p1195468844-4.jpg

p1195470256-4.jpg

p1195470768-4.jpg

p1195471212-4.jpg

p1195471840-4.jpg

The Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 is priced at approximately $375 with features of range finders in the $1000 range. Additionally it has very clear optics as Vortex Optics continues to become known for. The Ranger 1000 has primary horizontal component distance mode which allows shooters and hunters alike to get accurate readings. This is a feature that no other range finder in this price point contains.

Vortex Optics states that the Ranger 1000 is waterproof and I certainly put this aspect of the range finder to the test while hunting. It was exposed to heavy rain and snow for hours at a time while continuing to work as it was meant to. I am always leary of items that are rated as "waterproof" but this one hold true to that label.

This unit is very easy to use with its simple two button configuration. You can switch between meters and yards as well as Horizontal Component Distance (HCD) mode for angle compensated ranging and Line of Sight (LOS) mode displays actual line of sight range. The diopter allows for you to focus the range finder quickly to allow for a crisp picture. Even without reading the manual one can figure out how to switch between modes and take readings in the field.

I have been using the Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 for the past 3 weeks of hunting and couldn't be more impressed. It has performed flawlessly with not a single hiccup. One thing that is important to note is that the longest range I have used it on is 250 yards for a deer. I unfortunately do not have the ability to take shots farther than that in my hunting property. Other reviewers note that this range finder has difficulty with anything over 400 yards that is not a reflective target. So if you are looking to purchase a range finder for 1000 yard targets this may not be for you. I plan to try this range finder out for targets beyond 250 yards this winter on one of my next hunting trips so I will report back with how it performs then.

All in all the Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 is a great buy with an unbeatable lifetime warranty from Vortex Optics.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354031493.251693.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354031493.251693.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 330
I'm thinking about getting a Vortex scope, do you think they are a good product? Have any reviews been done on their scopes?

I have the Vortex SPARC on my 930spx and love it.
e4ybubez.jpg

9ejunupe.jpg

Sorry don't have any better pics.

iPhone using Tapatalk

I like these, I was comparing spotting scopes not too long ago!

Obi - time to do your web homework. Most companies usually make a wide variety of scopes, sights and other optics. I too have a Vortex SPARC red dot sight and it is one of my favorite toys in the box. If you want details I can go on - I have used the SPARC on a broad variety of guns with great results and no real downside. The value for dollar is a high point of this sight. I suspect that runs through the entire company line. I'm sure you've looked at the items in the line that interest you. If you can be more specific about what you are looking for (from sniper to CQB) I'm sure that beyond what is on the web, you will get more input from folks on the forum!

I have been wanting a Razor 5-20x50 but they are a little out of my price range, the Viper scopes look nice at a more reasonable price, but I don't know anyone personally who has used one to see how they liked it. Is it rugged, does it make repeatable adjustments, is the glass clear, and so on. Ive always used some of the more budget friendly scopes in the past and am looking for something that can help me reach out there by dialing in the dope instead of guessing. The SPARC has had me interested for a while too, I have a couple of rim fires I would like to mount one on for my kids, I think they make aiming much quicker and shooting more fun for them.

For those with the Vortex Sparc, can you give an pros and cons on the 2x doubler?

carbinemike said:
For those with the Vortex Sparc, can you give an pros and cons on the 2x doubler?
The doubler decreases the field of view and reduces clarity/focus. I cannot find an eye position where it is affective - if it does exist it is such a narrow window that the add-on device is (for me) useless. Wondering if it was me or a defective product I checked web reviews and found numerous similar reports.

The SPARC itself still rates an A- with me. A 2 MOA dot with great adjustments all around - it functions in bright daylight and really shines in low light where you can use the lowest brightness setting (11 iirc) - there is also a night setting that is super dim. I have not had the opportunity to use this function but it's there on the very well laid out control panel and I imagine it is a solid feature. 4 mount heights are another plus - I've had this on an AR, an SKS, a Mossberg 930 (and punished it!) and a 22. I will continue to find ways to use this super little sight for years to come. Watch Optics Planet for the occasional sale and get one - you will not regret it!!

The doubler - it stays in the box with the assorted mounting plates not currently in use.

I'll resurrect with a photo of the broken reticle on my new Viper PST 1-4. Properly leveled and torqued into a Bobro 201, it rotated counter clockwise after just 30rds of 5.56. Time to test out their legendary customer service and warranty.
859142035d9a0d868c193d52d62d386f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit discouraging. My buddy just bought a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50mm , and it seems like a great scope so far.
He has a Nikon ProStaff, and I was set to buy one myself, but so far I like the Viper better.

I keep putting this off, and just keep planning to spend more and more.

I'm afraid I'll save up for the $1000 Leupold Mk4, and not like it as well as the $600 Viper.

Hey yz9890,

That's a bummer with the PST 1-4. How did you like it? (besides the being broke) What all happened with Vortex fulfilling the warranty? Also, how did the scope come loose? was it just loose in the mount before mounting and shooting or was it somehow a failure in the optic itself?

Thanks,
Joe

Ended up buying a Vortex scope anyhow, the Vortex Diamondback.

I actually just bought this one to put on the wife's .22 rifle, so hopefully it will last.

Hey yz9890,

That's a bummer with the PST 1-4. How did you like it? (besides the being broke) What all happened with Vortex fulfilling the warranty? Also, how did the scope come loose? was it just loose in the mount before mounting and shooting or was it somehow a failure in the optic itself?

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for the reminder to follow up. After I finally got around to sending it in, they fixed it and got it back to me in about 3 weeks. The included paperwork said they re-secured the reticle. It's had about 400rds fired under it since I got it back with no problems. Great scope.

Back