• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wal-Mart Bulk Pack shells

sumoj275

.270 WIN
Hello there. New to the shotgun platform for the house. I was at Walmart the other day and picked up a couple of the Winchester bulk packs of 2 3/4" buck and slug, and a couple packs of the Winchester 3" buck. Are these any good? I just got the shotgun, a 590a1 with GRS sights so I am hoping I can make it to the range on Sunday.
Thanks

Welcome to Mossberg Owners forum! Those rounds will work with your Mossberg 590A1 but as you probably noticed there is a wide range of options available. If you let us know what some of your goals are with your Mossberg 590A1 we can help guide you to selecting rounds more tailored to your needs.

Firstly, Welcome to Mossberg Owners! As youre able, stop by the new member area and say hi to everyone!!!

By all means, shoot as much as youre able. Quite a few of us have been testing A BUNCH of different ammo, primarily 00 buck.

The Winchester ammo, while not my favorite, is widely used and your 590A1 will handle it with the greatest of ease!

Have you ever fired full powered loads through a shotgun? You mention being new to the shotgun platform, but I dont mean to assume you have never fired one. Reason I ask, there a few things you can do to lessen the blow and impact on your shoulder and cheek weld from high brass/higher velocity shells.

When you get a chance, check out the reviews and watch videos we have posted on different makes and types of ammo and then get out and shoot for yourself to decide which will best meet your needs. Also as Dan mentioned, let us know what goals you have in mind for your ammo, and we'll help as much as we're able!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have bird hunted with shotguns before, and shot some hd styles but not a lot or enough to call myself familiar. As to recoil, well I shoot a Marlin 1895 GBL with full house Buffalo Bore 405 gr so I think that this will be about the same or less. Reason I was asking about the ammo is to get some practice time in, familiarization, etc. I want to train with something besides the birdshot--no need to train with the light loads if it will hamper my learning.

The shotgun is for the house, fun, and to take pig hunting as I have a .243 for deer and a Para FAL for other stuff LOL. I know the Marlin Guide Gun fits a pig role just fine, but something aobut sling a big piece of lead down range appeals to me LOL.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Cool, good deal! We'd love to see those other guns too, we have quite a collective list goin in the "Other Weapons/Firearms" section.

I have used the Winchester Super X full power slugs, as well as Federal PowerShok and Federal TruBall low recoil and Winchester Ranger low recoil. At 50 yards I notice little difference in groups, I have yet to push the range to see if the TruBall maintains a flatter trajectory.

The pattern of the Winchester Super X 00 opens up too much for me to be comfortable with it as an HD load. In my tests I was havin to look for stray pellets at short ranges and even as a hunting load I think the Federal FliteControl would be a better choice, however anything beyond 25 yards and I'd be goin for a slug anyway. The Winchester Super X slug would do fine and in my experience with my 590A1, the hold over between 25 and 50 yards has been the same with each load I've tested.

I picked up a 100 pack of Remington Sport Loads at our local walmart for $25.00 I figured if anything its good for practice
They were 2 3/4" 3dram 1 1/8oz shot of #7 1/2 shot, They put a nice polish on some of the steel sheet we were shooting at.
Best of luck with your new shotty :cool:

I never found a Wal-Mart that even had anything but 6, 7-1/2 or 8 shot.
Very little in 20 ga of anything. Go for it - it's probably the cheapest place
around for ammo.

BTW- having a lot of ammo around is good incentive to practice!
I buy slugs and #3 buck "bricks" from Cheaper Than Dirt.
With shipping it is a substantial cost!

Anyone know if Wally has any #1 Buck in 12 ga. of any sort? Or if not, I've been looking and it's kind of hard to find 12 Ga. 2 3/4" #1 Buck where I live in DFW, I don't usually ever see it in CTD (cheaper than dirt), or many other ammo retailer's, just #00. The sectional density gain on the #1 Buck vs 00 Buck is substantial and it's (I think?) 15 .30/#1 vs 9 #00, think penetration should be on par as well...? Now, just to find, pattern, and bulk some. Wonder if there's any Federal 'Flite Control' #1, probably just #00, would be nice those are ACCURATE, and about the same price online as regular Federal.
Stephen

Evening guys.
On my way home I stopped by a Wallyworld to see what they had. Same stuff that I got, and some Remington stuff too. I figure I will hold off getting some of the Remington stuff until next payday since I have a couple more weeks in school before the kids are let out for summer break. I did not notice any #1 buck either. I think I will be keeping an eye open for more as time allows.

Oh, and the pictures......I have some and will post as I get more of them as time allows. I am a big knife freak too :twisted:

That #1 buck in FliteControl should be available sometime soon...

Rossignol said:
That #1 buck in FliteControl should be available sometime soon...

YEA!!!!!!! Oh Rossignol, is there a question I can pose that you CAN'T provide info on..... So far, NO! Thank you, I love #1, all time favorite, hope to see some #1 'Flite Control' SOON!! Those flite control wads are friggin AWESOME! Never thought it possible to see a 5" group at 25 YARDS with #00 Buck! So, in all of you guys opinion, between the two most common and prevelant #00 buck that Wal-Mart carries, Winchester Super-X 2 3/4" #00 (A.K.A. Military O.D. Green shells, cant believe they're almost the EXACT SAME, and the 'Mil-Spec' sells for such a PREMIUM, and theyre not even buffered.. MAN! "If the U.S. uses it, it MUST BE GOOD!" Hey, we also use a 124 grain 9mm +P FMJ, sooo, yea.....) and Remington Express 2 3/4" #00 which I think is $1 difference for a 15 round value packs, which is preferred by you guys and why? Inquiring minds would like to know! I'd rather have 1000 rnds of Super-X or Express #00 than 200 Flite control (granted I'd REALLY RATHER have 1000 flite control) but for fun, patterning, and if in a pinch HD/SD, which takes the cake? I think prob the Rem, since I THINK it's buffered and the Super-X IS NOT, I believe? INPUT PLEASE!!
Thanks,
Steve

haha! Well, while I appreciate the scentiment...

I have no experience with the Remington load. I agree, I'd rather have the Federal FC. But when push comes to shove, you get or stock up on what is widely available. I should get some of the Remington to try. We have patterned the Remington HD from a .410, and it did better than the Winchester Super X, the pattern didnt open up as much. Dont know if thats an indication as to the performance of the 12 ga. load or not. I'll have to pick some up. I have a bunch of the Winchester 00 set aside for some other testing, but I'd be happy to pattern some Remington too!

Well, I got to say the 3" Winchester and Remington buckshot kicks a bit :D

As to the other stuff, did not pattern today as we were just blasting and having fun. I tried sighting the slugs in at 50 and a hundred but they were low unless I held over. BTW, my 590a1 has the GRS. Buckshot seemed to be pretty good but could tell at about 20 yds where it started to open up. I do have a few rds of each of the Winchester bulk pack so maybe next time I will try to pattern some.

So Remington bulk pack will probably be next.

Hey guys, ive bought plenty of ammo from wal mart and it all shot fine. The Remington and Winchester slugs and buckshot do very well. I haven't tried the federal premium buck shot from wal matt yet but it's on the list, and once in awhile if you get lucky you can find the Winchester PDX1 12 gauge rounds there , and boy those are sweet!

I've shot the buck and it wasn't bad, but I don't like the win birdshot 7 1/2 and 8 packs at Walmart.

Federals sell for the same $22 and change for 100 packs at my walmart, and slide a lot smoother. The expansion on the cheapy Wins expand a lot and adds friction when sliding. It doesn't seem like a lot, but burning 100 rounds at a time, your arms will thank you for having smoother sliding shells.

But again, I ran the win buck and it seemed ok, they probably are much better quality than their birdshot counterpart

I'll try some other brand buck and see if I feel a difference

Back