• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Warranty Registration of New Firearm

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Interesting question came up at work...

Say you buy a new firearm. You fill out all the paperwork knowing the FFL will have that info on file. Then you find a Warranty Registration card inside the firearm box. It asks for all your personal info as well as the model and serial number to register the warranty.

Do you fill out the warranty car or ignore it? Will the manufacturer honor a warranty claim if you don't fill out the card (or do it online)?

What would keep the Feds from requesting a warranty database listing from all firearm manufacturers? The list would include name, address, and firearm all in a convenient format. They can get the info from the FFLs but it is too easy from the manufacturer...

Your thoughts?

I don't think I've ever sent in the warranty card on any of my firearms...but I do retain all the paperwork that comes with the firearms as well as the original boxes as it adds to the resale value.

As far as it being an info collection tool for the government...yea, it would be.

Never have. All but two of mine are used....and old. So it's moot for me.

Warranty registration and 4473 are two entirely different things.

When the ATF initiates a search, it starts at the manufacturer, then distributor, then dealer. All of which are the normal steps that are required by law for them to document.

After that, there is no solid ownership trail.

Which is one of the things they are trying to change by requiring all transfers to go through a dealer, but is another caustic topic for me of which I will not go into my usual point by point reply as to how I think that is a bad deal, but to stay on topic, I suppose if an agency were to subpoena the warranty records for a certain firearm serial number or owner that a manufacturer would have to comply, but even then, is only a possible step in who has owned a/the particular weapon because that person may have sold the weapon since then or lost in a fire, was stolen, lost in a boating accident or whatever.

I don't fill out warranty registrations. If I have a warranty problem, I just contact the manufacturer. State laws concerning warranties are not all the same. Regardless of the warranty in the box. Some states do not have warranty limitations or cutoff dates and what-not.

Never filled out any warranty info on any of mine.

I've sent a couple in for warranty repair and never had any issues due to not filling out the warranty registration...

John A. said:
Warranty registration and 4473 are two entirely different things.

When the ATF initiates a search, it starts at the manufacturer, then distributor, then dealer. All of which are the normal steps that are required by law for them to document.

After that, there is no solid ownership trail.

Which is one of the things they are trying to change by requiring all transfers to go through a dealer, but is another caustic topic for me of which I will not go into my usual point by point reply as to how I think that is a bad deal, but to stay on topic, I suppose if an agency were to subpoena the warranty records for a certain firearm serial number or owner that a manufacturer would have to comply, but even then, is only a possible step in who has owned a/the particular weapon because that person may have sold the weapon since then or lost in a fire, was stolen, lost in a boating accident or whatever.
I don't fill out warranty registrations. If I have a warranty problem, I just contact the manufacturer. State laws concerning warranties are not all the same. Regardless of the warranty in the box. Some states do not have warranty limitations or cutoff dates and what-not.

With NSA's penchant for hacking, how long do you think it would take for them to access the database of a given manufacturer? Unless the Mfr keeps only paper records, it would be an easy job for the NSA. Something to think about...

I don't fill out warrant paperwork anyway, so it doesn't apply to me. ;)

I got that, John. :) I wasn't necessarily picking on you although I used your paragraph as an example. I guess if everyone filled out the warranty cards and the Mfr put them in a database, the government would have a ready-built registration system. Something to be said about not sending the things in...

I'm not exactly sure who wrote: "The pen is mightier than the sword", but I am relying less on computers and more on 5 subject notebooks and pencils and erasers more and more.

Not because I am doing anything wrong or have something to hide because I don't, but because I trust digital security less and less.

Yeah, we are connected via the internet and it is a double edged sword. While it allows us to access information it also extracts information about us. It feeds our thirst for knowledge, communication and companionship while compiling a detailed story of our life. Bills, purchases, likes, dislikes, searches and interests are all recorded and dissected by whoever has access to it.

It is like a car accident...you want to look away but are drawn to it like a moth to a candle...

Some makers do not provide a written warranty at all. Ruger doesn't for example. From the Ruger site:

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

Back