• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Do You Shoot? - Air Rifles/Pistols

I would have to look at mine to see what kind it is. But I'm pretty sure its a Crossman. It needs some work. I've had it since 95. Squirrels and birds mostly...but plenty of cans. :)

My step son has one that he wants me to tune up/fix. The seals are shot. Anyone have info on that?

I'll post up pix of em both this weekend.

I may be stopping at WM tonight!

ripjack13 said:
I would have to look at mine to see what kind it is. But I'm pretty sure its a Crossman. It needs some work. I've had it since 95. Squirrels and birds mostly...but plenty of cans. :)

My step son has one that he wants me to tune up/fix. The seals are shot. Anyone have info on that?

I'll post up pix of em both this weekend.

Not really, but you might be able to find new seals on the net or contact the mfg. With mine if the seals dry out, a little oil seems to refresh them.

Crosman will replace the seals for you if they still have the proper ones. I don't know if they charge anything more than shipping but if they do, dependent on what rifle, you may be better off buying a new one lol

I have seen everywhere that pumping more then 10 times will void the warranty so don't admit to anything!!!

MikeD, let me know what you get! I am taking mine out to sight in the .177 barrel in a few moments here. I have Destroyer EX pellets and grabbed some of those "Penetrator" rounds that are saboted alloy. See what I can squeeze out as far as groups go with a fixed 4x

Itsricmo said:
MikeD, let me know what you get! I am taking mine out to sight in the .177 barrel in a few moments here. I have Destroyer EX pellets and grabbed some of those "Penetrator" rounds that are saboted alloy. See what I can squeeze out as far as groups go with a fixed 4x

I like the concept of the one you got and I checked a few positive reviews on YT. I'm curious to your thoughts so I will hold off for a bit and get your feedback.

I went to work for 13 hours and running on 0 sleep so I am a bit easily frustrated but here is what I got..

Shooting while stabilized from the back of a lawn chair I was able to get 2" groups at 15yds... Not very impressive but I think if I can get a better rest and shooting platform, those groups will tighten. Going to try to get out tomorrow. For all future reference... DO NOT use those plastic saboted "penetrator" rounds. I was getting 5" at 10 yards and sometimes the plastic piece would come zipping back at you lol

Scope is nice, break action is WAY better then 10 pump lol and stick is rock solid with sharp edges.

Lemme get it out again, with better sleep, rest and less frustration haha

No rush Rick. I had part of a tree come down in the last storm so renting a chipper is now a priority over a new air gun. I thought I could put it all in lawn bags but there is a lot more than there appeared.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

:shock:

Those are the days I am glad I have a Land Lord who has to maintain crap like that haha but every 15th and 30th are the days I wish I owned my own home! :p
I am on call at 530am and probably will end up getting "The Call" so hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can get out again and do some serious air rifle shooting >:)

If I wasn't the only factor playing into the horrible accuracy, I have the 1377 in mind still as a nice stow-n-go pellet rifle/pistol... We shall see! I really like this one with its 1000fps w/ lead and 1200fps with alloy while 830/600 respectively with .22... I think the 830 rating puts it up around 9 ft/lbs of energy. Enough for squirrel by far and borderline Groundhog head shot if accurate enough and close enough

MikeD said:
No rush Rick. I had part of a tree come down in the last storm so renting a chipper is now a priority over a new air gun. I thought I could put it all in lawn bags but there is a lot more than there appeared.

You can make mulch from the chips Mike. Spread it all around your bushes and stuff. Or in a garden. I get free chips from the tree companies. They drop off loads of em and its great for soil. It decomposes into dirt!

ripjack13 said:
MikeD said:

You can make mulch from the chips Mike. Spread it all around your bushes and stuff. Or in a garden. I get free chips from the tree companies. They drop off loads of em and its great for soil. It decomposes into dirt!

I'd add one caution: Don't use walnut, pecan or certain other species, (chips/sawdust/bark, nut hulls, etc.) around many plants (tomato, eggplant, and others) or where you have horses, dogs, etc.. They contain juglone, which is toxic to many plants and also causes infections in horse hoofs and can be lethal to dogs if they ingest it.

Husks of fallen walnuts can become toxic to livestock, and lethal to dogs if ingested due to a mycotoxin called 'Penitrim A', which is produced by Penicillium mould. Therefore, walnut nuts showing symptoms of decomposition, such as a brown or black rotten appearance in the husks, may leak toxin into the kernels and are not fit for human consumption.

See this: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fr ... kwalnt.htm , and this: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... xicity.htm

Many other species can also cause problems for animals and people - usually from contact or breathing in the sawdust during machining. Always wear a good dust mask and stay upwind when sawing or chipping if possible. Here's a rundown on many species:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... -toxicity/

Okay, so I got the Kodiak out again the other morning...
I had some really bad results at 20 yards, like 5 inch groups. So I tightened down all the screws on the scope, the barrel swap set screw and the mount screws. It seemed to get worse from there. Brought it back into 10 yards and it was like 2 inch groups again. I was shooting from a rest on the back tailgate of my blazer which should have, hypothetically, tightened up the initial groups to begin with.

I grabbed my brother-in-laws 880 Power line and was hitting a bottle cap at 20 yards every time. Old School Weaver 3-9x scope and Crosman Destroyer EX pellets. Did that for a little bit to de-stress and went back at the Kodiak....

After shooting about 25 pellets, I ran a brush and some solvent through the barrel. Shot another group and it was a repeat session. Up and until the portion of the cocking lever I will call, the barrel mounting block, completely fell off the gun. Ran to walmart... nothing in stock to replace it so I am back to square one.

MikeD, I would avoid it now I guess and am glad you didn't go get it! I am really frustrated. Maybe I just got the bad apple again, as I sometimes seem to get but maybe "better safe than sorry" ? Walmart will refund your full purchase price and tax if you retain the receipt though for future reference.

Ive got a daisy powerline 901 that I use for birds in the barn. And a Gamo Big Cat 1200. Having trouble finding a scope I like for it. And rings are giving me fits. The two sets ive tried keep sliding back. I shoot the Daisy open sighted

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Nah I picked it up at walmart 5 years or so ago. Living in the place I rented I could shoot starlings off the bird bath out the front door lol. Now it works good in my barn because I only pump it a couple times. It wont go through the steel siding. I honestly cant tell you what its rated for.

Itsricmo said:
MikeD, I would avoid it now I guess and am glad you didn't go get it! I am really frustrated. Maybe I just got the bad apple again, as I sometimes seem to get but maybe "better safe than sorry" ? Walmart will refund your full purchase price and tax if you retain the receipt though for future reference.

Thanks for the feedback Rick!!

dieselmudder said:
Nah I picked it up at walmart 5 years or so ago. Living in the place I rented I could shoot starlings off the bird bath out the front door lol. Now it works good in my barn because I only pump it a couple times. It wont go through the steel siding. I honestly cant tell you what its rated for.

Well I guess if it won't go through the siding, you don't need to worry whats on the other side :p

little update on the Gamo. finally got a set of rings that will hold in place. and a decent scope. (simmons .22 Mag) ive found the gun shoots very consistent accurate groups, but does not shoot strait. I dialed it in at about 11 yards. holding groups inside an inch square no problem. move out to 20 and im high and right but still holding tight groups, I attribute this to beaing a break action rifle. the scope is mounted on what would be the receiver and the barrel breaks open about 10 inches farther out. I actually tried pulling the barrel slightly down and left but that caused radical inconsistencies. I re-zeroed at about 25 yards. probably about an average range to shoot squirrels.

That makes sense! I never thought about the manor in which you pull on the barrel to break it would cause a shift in POI. Could explain a whole ton of my problems I had with the Kodiak!

Yeah I never thought about it either till I got a good optic and started holding good groups. They were consistently off.

That's really weird, you would imagine that they would have found a way to mitigate the effects of pull on the barrel by now... Of course it may also be the difference between the $150 rifles and the $300 rifles :/

Back