• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What do you think of the caliber 30-30?

Yacol J

.270 WIN
I own a 464 spx. I often wonder how viable a caliber it is compared to modern calibers. I pondered the purchase of an ak 47 and an ar 15 before the purchase, but settled on the larger expanding round. I figured if it could kill a mule deer or black bear, it would stop a man.

Last edited:
My favorite rifle for taking Pennsylvania whitetail is a Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF...

It's a great hunting cartridge, that could be used in some self defense situations, as long as you are aware of what's behind your target !!

The 30-30 Winchester is a great cartridge for a lot of different game and hunting conditions. If you study the "Good Old American West", there was probably more game killed with the 30-30 than any other cartridge, including the modern day cartridges. Just think about it for a minute; buffalo, elk, dear, moose, bears (black and grizz) antelope, small game and a lot of humans winning the West.

Can't hardly wait to get my hands on my Dad's model 94 Winchester lever gun in 30-30....great round for larger game at shorter range, relatively light recoil and will definitely drop a man in his tracks without any trouble at all.

My pa's Model 94 has a nice short barrel, relatively lightweight...great bush gun. Been drooling over that thing since I was a little kid......

Point to ponder the .30-30 is a powerful round. It'll definitely do some damage. If you're using it on people, as you suggested, I assume (hopefully) it'll be used for defense, at which point you should consider the range at which you'll use it, and the penetration it'll achieve.

I'd hate to lawfully shoot a criminal in my home and unlawfully shoot the little girl in the house next door.

I'd hate to lawfully shoot a criminal in my home and unlawfully shoot the little girl in the house next door.

X2 when you consider a 22 is lethal up to a mile

Can't hardly wait to get my hands on my Dad's model 94 Winchester lever gun in 30-30....great round for larger game at shorter range, relatively light recoil and will definitely drop a man in his tracks without any trouble at all.

My pa's Model 94 has a nice short barrel, relatively lightweight...great bush gun. Been drooling over that thing since I was a little kid......
Got any pics of the 'ol girl?

Point to ponder the .30-30 is a powerful round. It'll definitely do some damage. If you're using it on people, as you suggested, I assume (hopefully) it'll be used for defense, at which point you should consider the range at which you'll use it, and the penetration it'll achieve.

Thanks Elucase, and Shooter 13. Never thought of over penatration with the expanding round. I had thought that maybe I'd go deaf shooting a rifle that big indoors.

Last edited:
to me a 30-30 is only an intermediate round, highly comparable to a 7.62x39 ballisticaly when talking factory ammo . Some hand loaded 30-30 can get pretty hot but mostly is loaded with the round nose soft point that should deform and lose energy quicker than an fmj for sure when passing through anything

to me a 30-30 is only an intermediate round, highly comparable to a 7.62x39 ballisticaly when talking factory ammo . Some hand loaded 30-30 can get pretty hot but mostly is loaded with the round nose soft point that should deform and lose energy quicker than an fmj for sure when passing through anything
I always hear that, but not sure that I believe that. I've shot my 30-30 right before my buddy's SKS. My 30-30 had more kick and the brass is bigger. Though not as aerodynamic it is almost as tall as a .308. 7.62x39 is equal to a 30 carbine.

Last edited:
Have some fun with the Winchester Ballistics calc. http://www.winchester.com/learning-.../Pages/ballistics-calculator-silverlight.aspx

Here's a screen capture of the 150gr Silvertip readout. Other cartridges, etc. can be plugged in. It's powerful cartridge. Have fun. :D

Wincalc.jpg~original

I just check Winchester's ballistic chart. Though 7.62x39 does move about equal speed, it doesn't have near the muzzle energy. 7x.62x39 is a good round though.

yeah, they are comparable not the same, and you cant judge a cartridge by the brass size.....many examples where that dosent make a difference. One example would be 45 long Colt vs 10mm Auto. You could fit the entire 10mm round inside a 45LC but for comparable bullet weight the 10mm out performs the 45LC

I just check Winchester's ballistic chart. Though 7.62x39 does move about equal speed, it doesn't have near the muzzle energy. 7x.62x39 is a good round though.

This is one of the reasons why a shooter should consider the entire system - himself, the target, optics, rifle, and cartridge/bullet - as a system designed to accomplish a specific objective. A lot can be learned from Rex's video series and applied to our shooting objectives, even tho the series is all about extreme long range shooting. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

As an analogy, any car can drive around a race track, but one designed and set up for that particular track will go faster and handle better. Most of us are not race car drivers tho, so we do the best we can with what we can afford.

I always hear that, but not sure that I believe that. I've shot my 30-30 right before my buddy's SKS. My 30-30 had more kick and the brass is bigger. Though not as aerodynamic it is almost as tall as a .308. 7.62x39 is equal to a 30 carbine.
As always, Oli is right.

7.62x39:

u2agates.jpg

30-30:

9yvedy2e.jpg

30-30 is a great medium rifle cartridge. Thanks to hornadys LeverRevelotion ammo, the 30-30 is no longer a 100 yard brush gun. They recommend you zero your 30-30 at 200 yards (yep, not a misprint). At 300, it's only a 12 inch drop.

Here's a coyote (huge!) I shot with my 30-30. Gun is zeroed in for 200 yards. I held roughly 18 inches above his front shoulder. You do the math (over 300 yards), and folded him like a piece of paper.
u2u2azuh.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Oli was definitely right. Very close indeed. No wonder I contemplated the ak for so long. Also I'll keep that in mind if I buy another rifle not to use a caliber with similar performance.

I've owned a 30-30 since I could hold one. Mainly Winchester And Marlin. Lever action 30/30 probably has taken more deer than all other calibers combined I'd beat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401221668.756088.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back