• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What do you think of the caliber 30-30?

[QUOTE="Blood_Trail, post: 157952, member: 275]

30-30 is a great medium rifle cartridge. Thanks to hornadys LeverRevelotion ammo, the 30-30 is no longer a 100 yard brush gun. They recommend you zero your 30-30 at 200 yards (yep, not a misprint). At 300, it's only a 12 inch drop.

Here's a coyote (huge!) I shot with my 30-30. Gun is zeroed in for 200 yards. I held roughly 18 inches above his front shoulder. You do the math (over 300 yards), and folded him like a piece of paper. [/QUOTE]

Nice shot:D The Hornady ammo is great. Were you using the 160gr? If so, Underwood sells the same round for a bit less than the Hornady price.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/30-30winchester160grainflextipexpandingboxof20.aspx , not counting shipping. Don't know what your LGS prices are like, so it may or may not be a bargain. Even so, it's expensive

Congrats and always a good choice. I grew up with one. Great general purpose round and in brush. You can always make bets at the range to see how far you can hit at haha. I always maxed out at 200 yards with the ammo the gun liked and an old redfield 3x9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30-30 has taken countless deer here, in New England. I've put 15,000+ rounds down range with my SAR 1 (AKM) since 2002. The 7.62x39 is very close to the 30-30 round. I wouldn't use an AKM in a home defense situation-Mossberg 500 fills that bill-but I've never fully understood the over penetration fear. Obviously you don't want a 30-30 or 7.62x39 ripping through the sheet rock, out the wall and vinyl siding if you miss. But aside from the Kennedy assassination where it is "alleged" a bullet passed through Connolly and struck President Kennedy, when has anyone ever suffered a gun shot wound that passed through a another body first? I've never heard of that happening even though it's possible. Possible, but highly improbable. The real danger is missing the intended target and the round running wild and looking for a home.

7.62x39 SPRN. These should do a number on something.
u5ubady2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not used any of the soft point options other than the cheap 154gr Wolf but it does as well on the hogs as my 270 and my 30-30. I hear the Hornady SST is a great hunting round in 7.62x39. FMJ and SPRN both go through all but the largest of the hogs but the soft points leave a much larger hole on the way out. I get tighter groups through my SGL21 with the 154's also.

I've never seen the soft point rounds in 7.62x39. They look like great hunting rounds. I concede. They look and I'm sure they are comperable to 30-30. Thanks guys. I would've never known about this round without you.

Last edited:
The 30-30 is a nearly perfect deer cartridge. It's powerful enough to drop any of them at 100 yds without much trouble, and the recoil is manageable for just about any shooter. I gave one of my adopted grandsons (11 YO) a Savage model 325 bolt action for Christmas. He can handle the gun just fine. The 30-30 is great cartridge and gets overlooked way too often. It's versatile, and easy to reload as well with so many bullet and powder options to choose from. DOn't pass one up if you get the opportunity, it's an investment you won't regret.

Back