• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is Wylde?

JT10

.270 WIN
Hi,

Can someone explain the difference (if there is one) between 223 and 223 wylde? Really appreciate an explanation of what the differences are in the actual bullet, cartridge, and chamber of the firearm.

Thank you-

Please, Please PLEASE do not ever place any stock in what TTAG has to say. They are a bunch of kids who actually know extremely little.

I would say the gist of it is... a 5.56 rated chamber with a tighter throat and therefore a higher degree of accuracy using both 5.56 and .223 ammunition.

Laymens terms: A 223 Wylde chamber is a match grade 5.56 chamber. It can shoot 223 or 5.56 ammo, unlike a 223 barrel, which can only shoot 223.

This. The Wylde is a chamber design and not a cartridge. You can shoot 223 from a 5.56 chambered rifle but you won't be able to get the full potential of the round. Bill Wylde designed a chamber that will also accommodate 5.56 and 223 but does a better job maximizing both. There is some discussion that rapid fire and full auto may not work as well from a Wylde chamber due to the tighter tolerances but I have no experience with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... say i have a 223/556 rifle and have been shooting only 223 rounds, I can get better accuracy using a 556 round?

So... say i have a 223/556 rifle and have been shooting only 223 rounds, I can get better accuracy using a 556 round?

Theoretically, maybe, as the neck on the 556 cartridge will be a closer fit in a 556 chamber. However, each rifle is an individual when it comes to what might provide the tightest groups, and if there is a difference it might or might not be enough to notice when shooting off a bench. I suspect that you would get better groups with match grade 223 than "military" type 556 rounds - I've seen guns chambered in 556 shoot some pretty good groups with decent 223 ammo. Really the only way to know for sure is go out and shoot your rifle with a few different types of ammo and see what works best for you.

5.56 ammo is generally not as high of quality as 223. Your match grade ammo will mostly be 223. If you want to get more out of your gun, shoot better ammo. I use Hornady 55gr FMJBT for most shooting with my AR, but use 69gr Sierra Match Kings for when I want better accuracy. I can do 1" groups with the 55's easily, but can get down to less than a 1/2" with the 69's

Back