• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What kind of grip do you prefer?

What kind of grip do you prefer?

• Smooth

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Full Checkered

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Half Checkered

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Stippled

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Since I have been making 1911 grips out of exotic hardwood, They have all been smooth. I have been practicing doing the checkering, still need to practice though.

So, do you guys prefer smooth grips over checkered?

How about the checkering type? stippling? Half checkered?

Vote em up. 2 votes per member.

Please explain your choice in your post.

Tough question. Boils down to looks vs. grip. For a combat piece, I'd go with checkered. I've made a few smooth grips myself, but there's no doubt a checkered grip will provide better traction. That said, I also prefer custom fitted grips with finger and thumb rest that fit my hand whether checkered or smooth.

I carry a 1911 on duty with full checkered rosewood panels.

But the different textures of the various VZ Grips fascinate me. I want me some.

And I have a set of smooth ivory corian panels that I like a lot on a parkerized 1911.

How is that for a totally non-commital answer??????? :lol:

I suppose half checkered is the best way to describe these...

They are the ETC (Elite Tactical Carry) Frag pattern from VZ Grips with the thumb notch/mag release cut-out. I have tried just about every type of grip out there and these are by far my favorite. My second favorite 1911 style grips are your standard checkered double-diamonds...

I always prefer some texture in other wood grips as well...

I like checkered. something with a little tooth to it. doesn't exactly need to be a full grip checker though. just depends. snakeskin on something would be pretty sweet

I carry beat up to hell checkered wood that is half worn down to nothin....... ;)

oli700 said:
Other, rubber any surface but smooth

Darn it man...not the answer I was hoping you'd give. ;)

nitesite said:
I carry beat up to hell checkered wood that is half worn down to nothin....... ;)

This more like it..... :geek:

John A. said:
snakeskin on something would be pretty sweet

I don't know how they do that ....yet...

nitesite said:
But the different textures of the various VZ Grips fascinate me. I want me some.

Um, yeah. Me too. This was my desktop background photo for months until I just couldn't bear to look at it anymore. When I'm able to buy one of these pistols, these Black Desert Sand Tactical Diamonds are what I will put on it.

vzgrips_zpsf76f15f7.jpg

VZ Grips are certainly good looking. I love the frag pattern.

ripjack13 said:
oli700 said:
Other, rubber any surface but smooth

Darn it man...not the answer I was hoping you'd give. ;)

nitesite said:

This more like it..... :geek:

John A. said:

Are you talking about real skin or painted and carved? If real skin, it's essentially the same as veneering. The hard part is going to be getting the corners cut and matched up so you don't have a lump at the corners or gaps. You'll need to soak the skin till it's pliable, then dry it with a rag/papertowel just before gluing. Titebond II works well for initial gluing. Glue the face of the grip first (before you cut the corners - leave yourself some extra for the wrap around) and let it dry, you can glue the wrap around later. If you try to do it all at once it will be very hard to keep things in position. Make a press out of medium weight styrofoam backed with thin plywood and clamp it on the grip. The styrofoam will compress to conform to the curvature of the grip. Let sit overnight.

Do your corner cuts and edge fitting pulling the skin tight. Do the straight edges first, and the corners last. I'd recommend using a fast set glue at this point, Superglue or hide glue. My preference would be hide glue, since it can be redone with a little heat if something needs adjusting, and it's a water clean up. You could use hide glue for the entire grip actually, doing it in stages as above. And no danger of permanently gluing your fingers to the grip. ;)

I like the half checkerd grips myself. Like these Raasco grips I have.

Attachments

• Kimber-1-2011_3.JPG
    Kimber-1-2011_3.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 184
As a right handed shooter, I would prefer a smooth left side grip (body side) and traction on my right side grip.

I can't say I have a preference. It varies from gun to gun based on the feel and intended purpose of the gun.

I went with doesn't matter as I don't really have a preference either. The only time I'll immediately ditch something are those target grips with palm swells on some import surplus pistols. I know for legal reasons they have to put target grips on certain imports for enough points but as a left handed person they have to immediately go for me as they are always for a right hander. Other than that I'll usually make do with whatever its got on it.

MikeD said:
I can't say I have a preference. It varies from gun to gun based on the feel and intended purpose of the gun.
me to. I like only wood on revolvers, prefer it on bolt rifles as well, even though stainless and synthetic makes the most since in a hunting rifle I still always go with wood and blued

GunnyGene said:
ripjack13 said:
:

John A. said:

Are you talking about real skin or painted and carved? If real skin, it's essentially the same as veneering. The hard part is going to be getting the corners cut and matched up so you don't have a lump at the corners or gaps. You'll need to soak the skin till it's pliable, then dry it with a rag/papertowel just before gluing. Titebond II works well for initial gluing. Glue the face of the grip first (before you cut the corners - leave yourself some extra for the wrap around) and let it dry, you can glue the wrap around later. If you try to do it all at once it will be very hard to keep things in position. Make a press out of medium weight styrofoam backed with thin plywood and clamp it on the grip. The styrofoam will compress to conform to the curvature of the grip. Let sit overnight.

Do your corner cuts and edge fitting pulling the skin tight. Do the straight edges first, and the corners last. I'd recommend using a fast set glue at this point, Superglue or hide glue. My preference would be hide glue, since it can be redone with a little heat if something needs adjusting, and it's a water clean up. You could use hide glue for the entire grip actually, doing it in stages as above. And no danger of permanently gluing your fingers to the grip. ;)

Sounds fairly simple. I'll have to find me some skin.

Now where did my snake go?....

Back