• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What lumen light is best for HD?

Just purchased a Mossberg 590A1 for HD use and want to attach a light. What lumens is the best for HD? Is there a min or max? 80 lumen? 120 lumen? 200 lumen? Or it doesn't matter?

I appreciate everyone's input. Let me be more specific with my question since it completely went off on a tangent missing the area I needed help with. If you're committing to a light for HD on a shotgun, what lumen would you pick to attach and why? 80, 120, 200, etc..

Omidh44 said:
Just purchased a Mossberg 590A1 for HD use and want to attach a light. What lumens is the best for HD? Is there a min or max? 80 lumen? 120 lumen? 200 lumen? Or it doesn't matter?

Try this. Get up at 3am and walk around your house without turning any lights on. Can you see stuff? If you can then you don't need a light. You'd be surprised at how much light those little vampire lights on clocks, coffee makers, computers, tv's, etc. shed. If you're wanting to blind somebody, then go big. Just be aware that when you turn on a gun light it tells the other guy where you are.

Get some effective night-lights disbursed around your home before you decide on a weapon light (if all you want is a weapon light for in your home).

nitesite said:
Get some effective night-lights disbursed around your home before you decide on a weapon light (if all you want is a weapon light for in your home).

If he needs them yes. But I'd also suggest that placement is important. You want them to illuminate an intruder, not yourself, so best place is near entries not in the bedroom or bath.

Security requires a different mind set than convenience.

GunnyGene said:
Try this. Get up at 3am and walk around your house without turning any lights on. Can you see stuff? If you can then you don't need a light.

How do you identify someone you don’t want to shoot ?

GunnyGene said:
You want them to illuminate an intruder

How do you do that with vampire lights?

nitesite said:
Get some effective night-lights disbursed around your home before you decide on a weapon light

Why would you want to provide you enemy with ambient light in an unfamiliar setting ?

oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:
Try this. Get up at 3am and walk around your house without turning any lights on. Can you see stuff? If you can then you don't need a light.

Don't know about anyone else, but I don't have visitors after dark. But there's always verbal challenges/password for teenagers that might be coming in late.

GunnyGene said:

See above. Plus, any security system should be more than one layer deep. You can get motion detectors that turn on directed lights.

The point is to assess the vulnerability of the house in it's entirety, and setup systems that make sense from a security pov. That includes accommodation for legitimate people.

nitesite said:
Get some effective night-lights disbursed around your home before you decide on a weapon light

Why would you want to provide you enemy with ambient light in an unfamiliar setting ?

You guys crack me up with these light debates! No light... yes light... no light... yes light...
Come to Alaska and you can see clearly till 3am during the summer... and you don't have to worry during the winter cause they'll freeze before they get to your door :lol:

I really think we can all agree to dissagree on the subject of lights.... I think there are valid points on both sides of the argument. Here's my thought: If you are choosing to run a light on your defensive weapon make sure you get a quality light (and lumens really don't matter much, you don't need blinding capabilites but you certainly want to see as well) ... it doesn't have to cost $$$, but do your research and choose something in your budget that won't fall apart... especially on a 590! Then train... train... train with your weapons system... cause it doesn't matter how much you strap to your gun... if you can't use it, it's useless!

If you choose not to run a light, know your surroundings, your home and possible entry points to your home. Do some dry runs through your house and get familiar with "clearing" your home. And I'm not talking super tactical procedures here... just know which rooms you'd hit first as you're walking through. All of us can spout stuff at you, but in the end... it's your choice and your home to protect!

AK, I lived on Adak for a couple years as a kid, so I can relate. Then there's this. One of my all time favorite poems:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows.
Why he left his home in the South to roam 'round the Pole, God only knows.
He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell;
Though he'd often say in his homely way that he'd "sooner live in hell".

On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.
Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.
If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't see;
It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee.

And that very night, as we lay packed tight in our robes beneath the snow,
And the dogs were fed, and the stars o'erhead were dancing heel and toe,
He turned to me, and "Cap," says he, "I'll cash in this trip, I guess;
And if I do, I'm asking that you won't refuse my last request."

Well, he seemed so low that I couldn't say no; then he says with a sort of moan:
"It's the cursed cold, and it's got right hold till I'm chilled clean through to the bone.
Yet 'tain't being dead -- it's my awful dread of the icy grave that pains;
So I want you to swear that, foul or fair, you'll cremate my last remains."

A pal's last need is a thing to heed, so I swore I would not fail;
And we started on at the streak of dawn; but God! he looked ghastly pale.
He crouched on the sleigh, and he raved all day of his home in Tennessee;
And before nightfall a corpse was all that was left of Sam McGee.

There wasn't a breath in that land of death, and I hurried, horror-driven,
With a corpse half hid that I couldn't get rid, because of a promise given;
It was lashed to the sleigh, and it seemed to say: "You may tax your brawn and brains,
But you promised true, and it's up to you to cremate those last remains."

Now a promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code.
In the days to come, though my lips were dumb, in my heart how I cursed that load.
In the long, long night, by the lone firelight, while the huskies, round in a ring,
Howled out their woes to the homeless snows -- O God! how I loathed the thing.

And every day that quiet clay seemed to heavy and heavier grow;
And on I went, though the dogs were spent and the grub was getting low;
The trail was bad, and I felt half mad, but I swore I would not give in;
And I'd often sing to the hateful thing, and it hearkened with a grin.

Till I came to the marge of Lake Lebarge, and a derelict there lay;
It was jammed in the ice, but I saw in a trice it was called the "Alice May".
And I looked at it, and I thought a bit, and I looked at my frozen chum;
Then "Here", said I, with a sudden cry, "is my cre-ma-tor-eum."

Some planks I tore from the cabin floor, and I lit the boiler fire;
Some coal I found that was lying around, and I heaped the fuel higher;
The flames just soared, and the furnace roared -- such a blaze you seldom see;
And I burrowed a hole in the glowing coal, and I stuffed in Sam McGee.

Then I made a hike, for I didn't like to hear him sizzle so;
And the heavens scowled, and the huskies howled, and the wind began to blow.
It was icy cold, but the hot sweat rolled down my cheeks, and I don't know why;
And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky.

I do not know how long in the snow I wrestled with grisly fear;
But the stars came out and they danced about ere again I ventured near;
I was sick with dread, but I bravely said: "I'll just take a peep inside.
I guess he's cooked, and it's time I looked";. . . then the door I opened wide.

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.
It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm --
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

Robert Service

Great poem Gunny! Was your father stationed at the Naval Air Station out there? I spent a day on Adak when we pulled into port... it's a very interesting place now. As far as I know, the Navy built a multi-million dollar hospital and base out there in the early 90's just to get the funds pulled and abandon the base as it was in 95'... There are warehouses filled with desks and brand new (well for that time) computers and medical equipment. Some of the Natives have moved into the old housing units... but for the most part it's been vacant for 15 years!

aksavanaman said:
Great poem Gunny! Was your father stationed at the Naval Air Station out there? I spent a day on Adak when we pulled into port... it's a very interesting place now. As far as I know, the Navy built a multi-million dollar hospital and base out there in the early 90's just to get the funds pulled and abandon the base as it was in 95'... There are warehouses filled with desks and brand new (well for that time) computers and medical equipment. Some of the Natives have moved into the old housing units... but for the most part it's been vacant for 15 years!

Yes, he was supply officer - ran the warehouses. Some very interesting times back in '57-59. Used to explore the old WWII bunkers which ringed the island, Finger Bay (WWII sub base), got a tour of one of the first nuclear attack subs, great fishing, etc. Still have fond memories of it. Mom didn't like it much tho. :p

Finally...we catch a glimpse of the ever elusive old mossy... :lol:

GunnyGene said:
oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:

Don't know about anyone else, but I don't have visitors after dark.

Doesn't mean you wont some night but ok, sounds like you deal in absolutes

But there's always verbal challenges/password

so just confirming you suggest using your voice but you argue that a light gives away your position ?
to me the advantage is lost worse with your voice because your opponents night vision is on equal ground with yours and you still give away your position. With momentary flash of a light you blind you opponent and your weapon is already in the right position or am I not seeing this right ?.

GunnyGene said:

any security system should be more than one layer deep. You can get motion detectors that turn on directed lights.

not every one is as fortunate as you, what do you suggest for someone who can afford multiple security layers ?
GunnyGene said:
Just to add to the above, good old Wikipedia offers some good, but non-specific advice on physical security.
OK....are you getting your tactics from Wikipedia ?

aksavanaman said:
You guys crack me up with these light debates! No light... yes light... no light... yes light...
Come to Alaska and you can see clearly till 3am during the summer... and you don't have to worry during the winter cause they'll freeze before they get to your door :lol:

I think this may be the second time I have discussed this with Gunny and before that I can remember really ever debating it.......I am not debating anything really, I know the right answer for me.....
I am asking these guys serious questions because I want to hear the thoughts of folks like Nite and Gunny who have been officially trained.......well I am starting to suspect Gunny is getting some training from facebook or Wikipedia lol

Alaska ?......what do you want to bet I have spent more time in the Alaska back country than you :) ?

and I don't remember the sun ever going down in the summer, but all my time was spent quite a bit farther North than your nice little tropical island :p

I appreciate everyone's input. Let me be more specific with my question since it completely went off on a tangent missing the area I needed help with. If you're committing to a light for HD on a shotgun, what lumen would you pick to attach and why? 80, 120, 200, etc..

Something to consider are your wall colors. I have a tlr1s at 160 lumens I wouldn't want any brighter in a light colored room. I have had it shined at me and it seemed plenty bright to blind me for a while after, was not at all able to see the source of light just white washed vision. I would not want to peer into it again for anything really......imagine looking into one of those 300 lumen models......burn your retinas out of your head

oli700 said:
I am asking these guys serious questions because I want to hear the thoughts of folks like Nite and Gunny who have been officially trained.......well I am starting to suspect Gunny is getting some training from facebook or Wikipedia lol
:lol: Not really. Just easier to link to some things than to spend what remains of my life typing. Besides, although the basics of physical security haven't changed in several centuries, the technology has. Don't have moats anymore. EPA won't allow them without an environmental impact study. ;) :mrgreen:

I like a light.

No less than 65 lumens.

Anything over 120 lumens is just a waste of battery life (*usually).

Most weaponlights use CR123 batteries, which can be expensive and kind of hard to find in a pinch, but there are some good AA lights with decent life too if you want to shot around. fenix lights have some AA models.

Back