• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Mossberg Is Best For Home Defense?

I understand that many people see a shotgun as a home defense weapon. It just would not be my first choice in a firearm for HD. It's too unwieldy in tight spaces and believe me, my home is a tight space. I have handguns close by, and I'm much more comfortable using them, if needed. Defending seems to require maximum versatility rather than maximum firepower. I don't feel under gunned with some handguns and spare mags.

I bought a 500 Persuader 18" barrel just like my picture. It's outfitted with a light, pic rail (but nothing mounted at night on it), and a single point bungee (which is unlikely that I can put on during a problem). Since I like lots of rounds (that's why I carry Glocks) I decided 5 wasn't enough for my piece of mind. And everytime I hear of a home invasion it seems like there are 3 of the animals that are "gonna need killin" :twisted: So I upgraded to a 590A1 20" 8+1. I decided not to put anything on it except maybe a 2 point straight sling to keep clean lines.
What's the difference? They both weigh about the same loaded, the 590 is 4 inches longer even with the 500 adj stock all the way in, and it has more rounds. So I think my choice is the 590 for #1 and the 500 as backup (I don't know what senario will transpire, but I generally don't plan on leaving the bedroom - let them come to me :lol: ). So I am not too concerned about maneuvering.

Good call on the 590...I wanted the extra shells too.

Thinking my next gun will be an 18in for fun...but this is the toy and HD go to gun

C8V6C said:
Good call on the 590...I wanted the extra shells too.

Thinking my next gun will be an 18in for fun...but this is the toy and HD go to gun

Yeah, I figure this eliminates the need for a side saddle and I see the extra four shells might go for FTFs, or maybe needed, something like that. Also I figure if 9 doesn't do it, I might end up throwing the gun at them and running away screaming like a little girl :D

LOL my same reasoning! I did go with the side saddle though, mainly for looks and quick reload...

But chances are that the first 9 shots should do it...if I need the other 8, maybe I should have filled them with silver slugs ;)

My husband and I go back and forth on this topic all the time. I'm having issues because I have 4 boys under 4 and they can get into anything in my house. They ate like monkeys!! I really need to sit down and decide what we can do for certain scenarios. My husband works a lot and I'm home with the kids until 11 at night. I need a solution!

Alarm systems go a long way in scaring off most intruders and will get the cops there quicker for those with ill intent towards you and yours. If you're not huge into the idea of paying a monthly fee for monitoring services then RadioShack has these door alarms that protect one door each. They just adhere to the door jam with a magnetic break on the door. They can also be set to chime when someone walks through the door while deactivated from alarm state. They also have chiming motion detectors and non-monitored systems that work on the same idea.

Model w/ keys to enable/disable alarm
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2850623

Model w/ keypad to enable/disable alarm
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2844467

Both work well for someone not wanting to deal with monthly fees. There's also more advanced systems like X10 or ZWave systems that you can monitor yourself via text/email alerts and what not. If you'd like more details just let me know and I can set you up with a few vendors.

An alarm system of some sort is an excellent deterent for most situations but won't stop everything. I'm hestitant to site specific examples...

We keep dogs too, inside and out and an intruder would need more ammo than most handguns will hold. I stil don't bank on the dogs, but they do buy time.

So for us, dogs followed by enough firearms to arm every able hand... should it ever become necessary, and Lord willing, It won't.

Back