• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

which ati stock?

That's a choice that is hard to make. LOL! I spent several months making up my mind. I bought my 500 with a pistol grip as it was intended as a HD gun only. As I spent some time with the 500 I decided a longer stock would be a big plus.

I looked at top folders, side folders, solid and collaspible stocks of all kinds. I ended up getting the ATI Talon 6 postion collasible. No regrets at all. For me the fully extended postion is a perfect fit for my long arms. In the shortest postion it's only about 7 inches longer than the pistol grip so it's still fine for working in tight places.

That choice gave me more options for hunting, range and HD shooting.

There a lot of posts here on pros and cons of about every stock available. I think I read most of them while I was looking. Good info available for research.

Mike

Attachments

• Talon 01.jpg
    Talon 01.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 631
  • Moss 500 with Talon.jpg
    Moss 500 with Talon.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 632
Hello greekpow!

I really like the Akita stock for keeping the traditional grip and access to the safety and slide release. If you haven't used a pistol grip style stock before it does interfere with manipulation of these controls. Nothing that can't be overcome with a little practice though. My range 590 has a pistol gripped six-position stock with a recoil reduction system, but the 590a1 I use for home defense still has a traditional stock. I like to keep things as simple as possible when my life could depend on it...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Hello greekpow!

I really like the Akita stock for keeping the traditional grip and access to the safety and slide release. If you haven't used a pistol grip style stock before it does interfere with manipulation of these controls. Nothing that can't be overcome with a little practice though. My range 590 has a pistol gripped six-position stock with a recoil reduction system, but the 590a1 I use for home defense still has a traditional stock. I like to keep things as simple as possible when my life could depend on it...

Hello my friend lazy eyed sniper and hello to everyone
That is the basic idea. To keep the traditional grip. But to tell the truth i haven't found many reviews for the akita. So i decided once more to ask our forum. I was thinking of the side folding stock too, but i found out it is illegal here in Greece. The situation here for gun owners is more difficult than the U.S.
I think that the akita style is better for shooting at the range and for hunting. Am i right?

I have the identical adjustable stock pictured above, but on a Winchester.

I agree with LES on the Akita for a Mossbergbecause of the firearms controls, while I know people who do use the adjustable stock with pistol grip just fine, I prefer a traditional sock for OFM.

Snaggletooth said:
That's a choice that is hard to make. LOL! I spent several months making up my mind. I bought my 500 with a pistol grip as it was intended as a HD gun only. As I spent some time with the 500 I decided a longer stock would be a big plus.

I looked at top folders, side folders, solid and collaspible stocks of all kinds. I ended up getting the ATI Talon 6 postion collasible. No regrets at all. For me the fully extended postion is a perfect fit for my long arms. In the shortest postion it's only about 7 inches longer than the pistol grip so it's still fine for working in tight places.

That choice gave me more options for hunting, range and HD shooting.

There a lot of posts here on pros and cons of about every stock available. I think I read most of them while I was looking. Good info available for research.

Mike

Snaggletooth
Does your ati collapsible stock unscrew behind the pistol grip like the AR style with the screw on nut.
Reason I ask is because ati does not make a flex system product and if it is unscrewable i can order one and attach it to my flex end by swapping them out at the screw.

Ok so - NY sucks!!

I had my hands on a Rock River AR 15 at a LGS last November and almost bought the thing. Would have been my first AR and for under $1000 (no sights). Now it looks like I'll never own one (Total BS).

So what to do? Well I decided that I would modify my 500 persuader instead. Started looking for stocks and decided that I must have the ATI Talon stock and forend. I simply must have it. This upgrade plus some other minor additions will have to satisfy me for a while. ;) Now if I could only find a shop or website that actually has it in stock...

Just want to say this is my first post on the board, but I have been lurking on the boards for the past 2 weeks. I just bought my first shotgun, a 590GRS 20", after test firing Mossbergs and Remingtons. I went with the Mossberg because the ergonomics fit me better and I like the reduced weight, which is why I went with the 590 vs. 590A1. All I can say is after putting some rounds down the chamber last week, I am hooked. I will primarily use it for HD and would like an adjustable LOP.

Snaggletooth or anyone else who has the ATI Talon Pistol Grip installed on a 500 or 590, how do you manipulate the slide release? Did ATI design it so that it can be pushed with your trigger hand? I ask because I am curious how one would do a chambered round slug swap. It is quite easy to do with the standard stock.

I modified my release ;)
umyna3yg.jpg
Now it sits just above my thumbnail.

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

That's awesome Archametes.

WolfPak, to operate the slide release with the ATI pistol grip stock you roll your hand under the trigger guard and hit the release with your middle or index finger. I liked my ATI, but I ended up selling it and getting a Hogue OverMolded short lop. The Akita looks nice and I do plan on picking one up for something down the line.

Archametes, that looks great.

Sn3aKyGuY, thanks for the technique. It will help me make my decision to get a pistol grip or the Akita stock.

Back