Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by DHonovich, Oct 27, 2010.

1. BearArms - CA

BearArms - CA Copper BB

My first post! My safety is still the stock one that has been on the gun since new about 15 years ago. I love my Mossbergs. Great weapons.
    DarkPassenger308 likes this.
  2. DarkPassenger308

DarkPassenger308 .223 Supporter

Welcome to the board. The original plastic safety on my 500 lasted 36 years before eventually cracking down the center. No need to replace yours if you like it. Some replace it for cosmetic and/or tactile feel. Some replace it out of necessity if/when it breaks and choose to go with aftermarket metal safeties, rather than the plastic OEM.
  3. Iagent

Iagent .410

I bought the Brownells for mine, and it gives much more of a positive feel.

Attached Files:

4. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

Try one of the Brownell ones, You'll love it even more! It's like buying lingerie for your wife!!!
  5. Ghmann

Ghmann .223

The Brownell's looks identical to the Promag to me. Is there a difference?
  6. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

I have the Promag and it works great. Looks a lot like the Brownells one.
  7. Orbiter

Orbiter Copper BB

Can you can send me a couple? I have a Promag safety on the way.
  8. DarkPassenger308

DarkPassenger308 .223 Supporter

You bet. PM me the address you'd like me to send them to. I'll toss a few into a padded envelope for you tomorrow. You'll need a 1/16th inch Allen wrench to install. Pretty tiny, and not a high-torque fastener. Little dab of blue loctite and hand-snugging to avoid stripping.

Have you taken out the factory one-way security screw yet? It can be...annoying.
    INMY01TA and Rossignol like this.
  9. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .223 Supporter

Orbiter,
    The one way screw from the factory that holds down the safety can be a PITA. If you get a right sized flat head screw driver (blade width = diameter of screw) and some steady downward force it comes off easy enough.
    Best to replace it with something easier to work with as DarkPassenger suggests.