• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why so innacurate

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I wanted to post this topic because I often hear about a gun that just isn't as accurate as it should be.

In no way am I saying this is the only thing that can happen to make a gun shoot inaccurately because there are so many factors, but I wanted to share the story and ensuing adventure

After sitting in the back of the safe for at least 8 years, I got the barrel out and I set out on a mission to get it shooting right or melt it down for scrap :lol: It was now personal.

One of the first things I noticed was some tool chatter in the last inch or so of the bore. The grooves were kind of wavy or rippley from a lack of better explanation.

That simply had to be the problem.

Low and behold even after cutting the barrel, it still shot like crap. Try to re-zero the scope and it would shoot a couple of good shots, but I could never get it zero'd, and after 3 or 4 shots, was shooting all over the place again.

So, at that point, I went back inside and got a little red dot reflex sight I wasn't using at the moment to try that.

I shot a few times and got it on paper and was able to zero it and started shooting like a little champ.

The moral of this story is sometimes when we're having a problem, it's not what we think it is.

After all these years thinking I had a poor excuse for a barrel, it turns out the scope was the problem all along.

Oh too bad you cut before you came here, those marks are from a reamer going dull. The reamer gets the entire bore to .22 . Then the button rifler gets pulled through and leaves the chatter look always at the muzzle end. I have never seen it affect accuracy .At least you figured it out, good work on the barrel by the way

Most of my issues of inaccuracy stem directly from my lack of skill, ability, and prowess!

Thanks for sharing the story!

Thx for the post. I too have made a few mods to different things and sometimes did not get the result I wanted or expected.

I'm with Brad,

Mosy of the time when I'm having accuracy issues, it's just me. Glad to hear you got it worked out. Let us know what scope you decide to put on...

Had me going there for a moment. I have one of those and I have to say that the fiber optic sights on the .22 are very accurate in my opinion. No problem putting a shot in the bottom of a drink can at 50 to 65 yards. Perfect little gun for backpacking and wilderness camping. Most of the time I use it as a snake charmer with the .410 barrel. I had been thinking about mounting a small scope on the .22 barrel. It's one of those little guns that make you want to make every shot count.

Mine didn't shoot well at all, or at least it didn't with a bad scope on it :lol:

You didn't ruin a barrel, you made it a much better brush gun. I like the idea of threading the end and going to a flash hider/suppressor. As to a scope, go to Walmart to get one of those Tasco 4-power in 3/4 tube. They're now made by Bushnell and should be really accurate and look good on that little rifle.
Del

Thank you TriumphMan. I appreciate the compliment.

It is currently wearing a flash hider, but that is to serve the purpose of protecting the threads more than managing the awesome flash and recoil of the 22 long rifle round LOL

Thanks for the heads up about the tasco scope. I would rather have a compact scope on it if I can find one for a decent price. And realistically, a 4x scope would be plenty for me at the limited distances I would be using it for.

The weather was too nice not to put a few rounds downrange today.

I wasn't able to be out for long before starting to get dark, but wanted to share a 10 round group

It still won't win any gold medals at the Olympics, but it's plenty good enough now.

damagetogarbage020.jpg

HA HA.

Not hardly the assassin type. Although judging by my looks, no one would ever suspect it if I were :lol:

Just picture in your head an out of shape (fat) gomer pyle type fella :lol:

But I am glad that I've finally been able to get the gun to settle down and finally start shooting right. It's been one adventure after another to get it this far and I'm finally content with how this combination is working.

I've tried and tested about every bullet and bulk pack ammo out there and the Remington bulk did a little better than the rest, so I wanted to try some subsonics in the same brand/weight to see if it would make a difference. Thankfully it did. And surprised me by how much.

I had plans of ordering some of the (far too expensive) subsonic match ammo from a recommendation of one of my buddies who is into rimfire competitions that said I should try it, but after yesterday, I think I'll just go back to walmart and buy the other 4 or 5 boxes of the Remington sub's and call it good.

Although I didn't buy the match ammo he recommended, he was right in this case that slowing things down about 100 fps made a big difference. I really didn't know that most rimfire match ammo was inherently subsonic anyway, so I learned a few things from that conversation.

Our walmart seldom ever has the SS in stock. And never in those kind of numbers.

I just happened to show up right as my local store was putting out a new shipment and I bought everything they had. They rarely have more than a couple of the 50rd boxes most of the time.

Sounds like our store.

Most of the time, that shelf space sits empty and I make an intentional attempt to check sporting goods regularly. :cool:

Back