• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will it be my next gun?

1s1k52

http://www.shotgunwarehouse.com/item/65 ... ecurt.aspx

I have plans to get that and quite a few things for it. I have done what I feel is enough research to feel comfortable with my choice EXCEPT actually touch one.

I also would like to know if it is drilled in tapped. Reason for my choice. It will either be a hunting gun (dove/hog) or home defense gun or both as intended.

Reason I chose this. Price vs other models for what you get. The only thing that sucks is the I cant seem to find a cylinder bore barrel with good sights on it. I have seem enough reviews to believe cylinder bore is more versitle with slugs/buck shot. then rifled so feel free to educate me.

I intend to get a 8 shot tube extension. I found a rail mount/side saddle one piece that fits it and i may camo it and change the charging handle. Aside from that I believe I will be happy with it.

I know there is a lot of information on this site just doing this as part of my introduction

Alright I don’t own but I can help. First here it is a touch cheaper, if you use the Echeck option you get it for cash discount $521 shipped http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... R+ACCM+SYN

As I read the reviews, one of the only complaints I read was a loose screw on top of the receiver…..a scope base screw so I would say yes its drilled and tapped for a scope base, sounds like it comes with three chokes as well.

Be advised that the Echeck option takes a couple more days to ship than the plastic payment option.

Any exp. shooting with the bead?

I actually ordered my 930 SPX from buds. Transaction using the echeck method does take a bit. Took a week to clear their banks and took another couple of days for them to ship it but I should have it this Friday. I'll post how my transaction was once I get this bad boy in my hands. Price includes shipping which was awesome!

I just got a handgun there, echeck 16 days but Buds was the only place that had this particular pistol so I got it. They have recently sent email apologizing and explaining why shipping has been so slow but it is getting caught up. They are experiencing record sales right now.

record sales huh? Dont know how things are around where yall live but seems like guns and hunting are becoming trendy with the 2012 ending of the world. Either way good for them. I have been a long window shopping of buds but either my age or my hard head makes me "want it now" so I may look local.

I have some experience with a bead but really nothing worth mentioning. Any particular reason you ask?

Thanks for all the replies.

Just because you were saying you can’t find a smooth bore with good sights so I was wondering if you shoot with a bead. Bead can be a good sight for hunting with slugs if you practice. In your post you were saying cylinder bore vs rifled so I am assuming you are meaning smooth bore because cylinder refers to the choke. Maybe you can expand on what you are meaning

oh so you want me to expand on my ignorance? well don't mind if I do. I picked up the bad habbit of that term about a month ago. I know really there are only smooth and rifled "bores" smooth has chokes that can be interchanged etc. If i am not mistaken "cylinder" bore barrels are "fixed" with cylinder chokes or i guess better said can not be changed it just "cuts off" correct? the 28" barrel will have 3 chokes with it f,im,m I believe.

I dont understand this link

http://mossberg.com/products/access.asp ... ion=access

because it says the 930 barrels in 28" are mod only? but it comes with 3? is that a typo? the 500 shows accu-set. thats what threw me off a bit back and i had forget about it till now so thanks for bringing it up. Should i assume a turkey choke can not be used in either barrel? but I could order one?

What I would like to do if it is possible is remove the bead and put either fiber optic rifle sights or set it up like a SPX because I am planning on getting the MAX MOUNT™Deluxe Tactical Scope Rail/Shotshell Holder.

If it sounds like I may be trying to do to much with this gun it is because I am. I am not sure how much time I will be able to have to hunt this year and need a good HD gun. As I said with the price you may as well get both barrels.

still learning and I am not fragile so let me know ins and outs because I have not bought anything for this reason. Meerly a map of what I have planned to get by August.

Since none of the 930 owners are jumping in it looks like its me and you bud

1s1k52 said:
If i am not mistaken "cylinder" bore barrels are "fixed" with cylinder chokes
More times than not, correct

1s1k52 said:

because it says the 930 barrels in 28" are mod only? but it comes with 3? is that a typo? the 500 shows accu-set. thats what threw me off a bit back and i had forget about it till now so thanks for bringing it up. Should i assume a turkey choke can not be used in either barrel? but I could order one?

What I get out of that is you can order the barrel Mod or with accu set. I believe the model you are interested in come with accu chokes. Some people want just one type of choke and don’t want the removable style so they offer in the Modified choke fixed or built into the barrel

1s1k52 said:
What I would like to do if it is possible is remove the bead and put either fiber optic rifle sights or set it up like a SPX because I am planning on getting the MAX MOUNT™Deluxe Tactical Scope Rail/Shotshell Holder.
Ok this one is a touch confusing for me but if you have the money you can set it up(18 1\2”) with ghost ring sights like the SPX. You can also have it set up with fiber optic sights as well. If you get the max mount you can add any optic to it you want but be aware once you make any sighting system taller than the top of the receiver you will want to raise the cheek weld of a shotgun so you will have proper eye to sight alignment because shotgun stocks are mostly designed to be sighted down the top of the receiver to the bead.SO some ghost rings are low enough you don’t have to worry some are tall and any optic is going to require a taller cheek weld……unless you don’t mind holding your face off the stock to sight.

1s1k52 said:

because it says the 930 barrels in 28" are mod only? but it comes with 3? is that a typo? the 500 shows accu-set. thats what threw me off a bit back and i had forget about it till now so thanks for bringing it up. Should i assume a turkey choke can not be used in either barrel? but I could order one?.

I also had a difficult time with this page as well. But from what I gathered as long as the barrel is not listed as fully rifled bore or cylinder bore you can add any choke you want. The description just lists what choke will accompany the barrel. For example the turkey barrel will come with a full choke installed but you can swap out that choke if you wanted to use another choke.

That's at least what I get from it.

Glad I wasnt the only one Water Monkey.

Oli700,

I havenet thought of that any suggestions?. Really want I am trying to do at the least is have a 930 and 930spx by just swapping barrels, stocks, and installing the sidesaddle after hunting.

Well, you could do that. Let’s set the home defense/offence to one side….. Do you want to hunt fur or feathers?

Well you are going to have a hard time replicating an SPX. It sounds like you want to change a barrel, go hunting then get home, change the barrel and put it next to the bed, wake up and repeat. The sighting system on the SPX is what is going to hang you up. I don’t know how quick a barrel change is on 930 either.
Either you purchase a SPX, have the barrel treaded for choke tubes and hunt using the different chokes for the different styles of hunting and learn to hunt birds with ghost rings and if you already can lead birds with a shotgun it shouldn’t be too hard, you’re in Texas so I am assuming pigs and deer…ghost ring should be good for that…..set it next to the bed at night.

OR

Get the combo you want and learn to shoot slugs with the bead sight. This will be the most cost effective and simple option.

OR

Put a reflex sight on it and leave it, interchange barrels for different tasks and hunts. I can smoke on clays with mine so bird hunting wouldn’t be a problem

I think a scope is out because on and off isn’t that great with a scope.

you pretty much have it down what I am intending on doing with it. When it comes to switching barrels I have watched a few you tube videos and it looks like my child could do it.

The way I have it pictured in my head is change the bead to a front sight of some kind. install the sidesaddle with rail on top and install the ring onto the rail. That is pretty much what the SPX is from what I can tell. I would like to use a reflex sight at some point but like iron for back up.

Does that paint a better picture? or can a bead not be swapped that easily?

Well in order to get the front sight to match with the rear, and be perfectly straight it needs to be put in a jig of some sort and if you want that sight to stand the test of time than it should be silver soldered on the barrel using a jig. A good gunsmith will be able to do it but it’s not cheap. ......
If you set up a ghost ring system than are you going to take off the rear mount and ring, install a beaded barrel to go bird hunting?
If you start to take the mount on and off every day than it is going to turn into a pain and probably eventually ruin the holes on the top of the receiver because they are aluminum threads and the screws for the mounts are steel….it’s ok for occasional on and off but as often as you would be doing it I don’t know how long the threads would last

1s1k52,

It sounds like you are building a very specific gun.
If that is what you want then go for it.

I am more old school with all my shotguns. I am a bird hunter as well as a Clay bird hunter. Sights are a mistake on a shotgun for either. You do not aim a shotgun for shooting at either of the birds I mentioned. For turkey hunting, I do use a Gobble Stopper red dot. Is it needed? Nope! But I like it...LOL!

As for HD, at least in my house, more than likely my shotgun will not even get shouldered so the sights dont matter.

I should also mention that I do shoot slugs from my guns as well. Again I use the bead sight. I regularly hit a 10" round plate from 100 yds that way.

Just some food for thought for you.

Yeah I am not sure how much the switching would actually take place. I mean bird season is only for long and I wont be able to go everyday.

Once I actually get the gun I am sure my mind my change. If a bead can be done I will practice with it. and go from there.

I guarantee once you get practice shooting slugs with the bead you will want to save the money of installing ghost rings, bead sight is capable of doing what you want but it takes practice. The problem with wanting one gun to do three things is settling on one sighting system for all three. A bead and a micro reflex sight would fit the bill .

Back