• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will this Magazine Tube fit my Mossberg 500

CheckMate

Copper BB
I have a Mossberg 500 that I'm upgrading for the first time. It has an 18.5 inch cylinder bore; 6+1. I'm trying to upgrade on the cheap and get 1 more shell in :D. From the looks of it, I think I can swap in a 7+1 easily. Here is what I'm trying to buy currently:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/721730A.htm

This is my Mossberg right now:

Full pic of Mossberg

rsz_2013_05_19_030247.jpg

I could be wrong, but from what I understand you cannot just swap out the mag tube. You also have to get a matching 20" barrel.

hello CheckMate.welcome from NY.
Gunny is correct,you can not use the tube alone. if you want a larger capacity you need barrel and tube.

Attachments

• Mossberg_500_High_Capacity_Shotgun_Kit.jpg
    Mossberg_500_High_Capacity_Shotgun_Kit.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 197
old mossy said:
hello CheckMate.welcome from NY.
Gunny is correct,you can not use the tube alone. if you want a larger capacity you need barrel and tube.

This raises a question for me that maybe you can answer. My 590 mariner has a 20" barrel, but will hold 8+1. Why the difference between the 590 and 500?

the construction of the mag tube allows for the extra round.....the tube on the 500 has a thick end on the muzzle side to accept the bolt that holds the barrel......the 590 has a cap, more room

Thanks Oli. Makes sense. I suppose that is also why the 500 requires a full mag tube+barrel swap to increase capacity. Couldn't use a extension either then, right?

Correct.

There are no tube extensions for the 500. However, a 500 receiver will accept 590/835 style tubes and barrels which will allow the extra capacity and the use of tube extensions...

Gunny, here's couple pics to show the different end caps like Oli mentioned,,,,,,

Attachments

• 590_cap.jpg
    590_cap.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 500 barrel screw.jpg
    500 barrel screw.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 158
Right. The cap on my mariner doesn't have the sling lug, but rather it's on the tube ring (nomenclature?). Engineers are weird ;) :lol:

Back