• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

You Never Forget Your First!

My first was a S&W .357 at age 12. My uncle let me shoot 2 cylinders of .38 Special. I was pretty much in awe at this point. Then he took out one .357. What a difference! A very clear coming of age memory.

My first experience was a Llama "1911" in 9mm. That was officially a jammamatic. I litterally had to cycle each round by hand. Not the greatest start.
Then in 1989 I went into the Navy. Again, I get to shoot a 1911. I was stoked. But, much to my dismay, they hand me a couple mags full of double duece and say have fun. Seriously!?! Again!?! Stupid conversion POS!
Oh well, I stuck with it, and now have a fine collection that will hopefully get bigger so I can pass on to the next generation.
BTW, my 9 year old son's first experience was with me on my Sig P250SC 9mm. Big, silly grins all around and he has since shot just about every handgun I own, including all of my .45's. His favorite is my Uncle's (RIP) old duty pistol, the S&W Model 67-1 .38 Combat Masterpiece. Kinda tugs at the heart a little. :)

My first experience shooting a handgun was a Crossman single shot pellet pistol. I can't even imagine the number of rounds I put thriough that one.

The next one was my grandfathers Ruger Mark I. My dad owns it now, but I have it in my safe. ;-D Really... I plan on returning it soon. Very accurate little gun I'm not a target shooter but I am amazed at the groups I can get with this one. Perfect for squirrel hunting and plinking.

The first gun I ever owned was a Norinco 1911. I loved that gun. Contrary to some other people's experiences with Norinco I never had a jam with that gun. It ran flawlessly the entire time I owned it. This was the gun that got me into reloading something other than shotgun shells. That is one of the ones I really wish I had kept.

I have no memory of my first shooting experience.....it just always was. The first firearm I can remember owning was a Remington Speedmaster 22...

I'm pretty sure I was about 4 years old, but positive that I wasn't more than 5 1/2.

My Dad got hurt at work in the mines and sold a 38 special snubnose to help cover some of the bills. When the buyer wanted to try it, I asked if I could shoot it too, and Dad let me stand in front of him and he helped support the pistol as I racked off a round toward a tree stump.

I can remember trying to do everything exactly the way he told me. And I remember that (then) it was very very loud to me but it was still love at first shot. I declared that I hit the tree stump, but was probably more wishful thinking than anything.

Afterwards, my Uncle Bill let me use his old Red Ryder BB gun everytime I went up to my Grandparents house (which was a lot) as long as I provided the BB's and didn't shoot at the windows or chickens, and after probably a million BB's later that summer I graduated to my Great Grandfathers ORIGINAL 1894 Marlin in 25-20 in my Grandmothers back yard with her at my side showing me how it works.

Needless to say, I have been around guns all my life and was taught from very early on the responsibility it takes to be safe with them, and care for them, and how to use them.

Shooting guns came natural to me.

My Dad didn't have any guns until after I did so my earlier memories were with my uncle and cousins. Rifles were when I was under 5 but the first handgun was around 14. Uncle Dave has a mid 70's era S&W .357 magnum with a 5 or 6 inch barrel. I shot it a few times, most recently around 15 years ago. To this day it is still the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. My cousin the Dirty Harry fan has a .44 magnum that is easily the most powerful handgun I have shot. Another great hand gun memory was breaking my Hi-Power in. Great thread. It has me wandering down memory lane which I neeeded!

Show us your first gun

I took the afternoon off yesterday, loaded up my truck and headed for the range. This time I carried my old single shot 20ga shotgun that just happens to be my first gun. It belonged to my grandfather and was given to me by my dad when I was 9 years old. I had not shot this gun in at least 30 years until yesterday. Brought back some great memorys. I'm gonna try to restore it, and give it a new lease on life, and one day it will belong to my grandson.
If you are lucky enough to still have your first gun, take some pics or a video of it, but even if you don't, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks for lookin,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXW7qZG_13U

Donnie D

Re: Show us your first gun

great story Donnie,thank you for sharing. keep us posted on your new project. :D

Here is mine and my sons.

IMG_4880.jpg

Mine is a Winchester model 94 30-30 from 1980, I was 8 or 9 at the time, I shot it from time to time with my dad till I was 16 then I had forgotten about it, I had a drivers license! And it was all about driving around to the next adventure, I didn't get my 30-30 back until I was nearly 38 when I could safely store it, now it's one of my prized possessions.
My sons rifle is a Henry Youth Model .22lr that I got him for Christmas when he was 7 which coincided with me getting a good gun safe, He still enjoys shooting it when we get a chance, Which isn't as often as I would like, but ammo is becoming more available, So hopefully this year will be good.
Have fun :)

Very first huh? That was a long time ago, and no longer have it. But it was an Arisaka that dad had converted to .300 Savage for my 13th B'day (1957).

My 1st and it was on my birthday in 1971 was a over and under .22lr-.410 made by Marlin I beleave. I wish I keep it, best dang squirril-rabbit gun ever made.

Back