• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

101 Uses for a GI Ammo Can...

I've been doing some of what he had for years, but some of it, was truly educational.

Thanks for the link !!!

Thanks for the link Sniper...!!

I'm getting them for $6 a small used 7.62 can ( picking the ones with good seals )...

and $10 for a large used .50 can at the local gun shows.

I would dare say I have about 50 assorted cans. ( Hint: Protect the seals with petroleum jelly)

That's a helluva lot better than the prices around here. The local mil-surp supply store here in town is selling their half rusted used .50 cans for $20+ each...

Repurposed ammo containers?

Other than "in the vault", where else do you long term store your ammo? Do you use true ammo containers? They seem a bit overpriced for the job they perform, especially if they are being kept inside of a climate controlled home. I definitely prefer plastic to steel, whatever the container. I also prefer to keep the rounds in their original boxes, and then inside for another container.

This would be my favorite kind of setup:

51n93OKF9vL._AA300_.jpg
Take care. Tom Worthington.

Metals ammo cans are great. :D I painted one black and made it my weapons cleaning supplies kit in my last tour in Afghanistan. It worked very well. Tough as nails and seals.

I have a few plastic ammo cans, but they are one drop away from being landfill. :lol:

I use all metal ammo cans as well, but after 20 years in the military, that's what I know. I have no experience with the plastic ammo cans, but a simple submersion test should fix that.
I too leave all my ammo in it's original container. I have several manufacturers and it pays not to mix them up, especially when testing a gun and load.

If I come across one cheap at a local antique shop then I snag it. I don't like to pay over $15 for one. I've had luck in finding WWII US Ammunition Boxes for under $10 a few times and brought them back to life with a new gasket for the lid. I've got enough, but always try and grab them when I can.
Mark

Thanks for link, LES. I'd be curious what shipping would be. There is a guy about an hour away with stacks of .50 boxes for $8 or so.

Harbor Fright now has plastic ammo cans. LINK Always on sale at $6, with coupon $5. Coupons can be found in American Rifleman (NRA paper magazine). I'd want to take one out to the parking lot, put a couple bricks in it and give it a toss before I bought one, though... :D

Attachments

• image_23369.jpg
    image_23369.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image_24452.jpg
    image_24452.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
Both plastic and metal....i usually grab whichever type whenever they are on sale....you can use them for anything you want to keep dry

I've salvaged a few ammunition boxes myself. If I see a beat up box going for cheap I snag it, esp. the WWII era boxes.
Was a an antique mall today and saw a handful of boxes, but the prices were more than I thought I'd like to pay, plus most were the newer/current type that can be found cheaper at surplus shops, gun shows, etc.
Mark

Ammo can prices have really skyrocketed in the last couple of years. I have ordered from several different online sources. Sometimes you end up with rusty, scratched, and/or cans with orange paint over the lettering, etc. Easy enough to clean up and repaint, but still, shouldn't have to. For me, ammocanman.com has always given the best and most consistent quality for the money. Their #1 grade cans are almost like new.

Another product I like are the ammo can magnets. They make storing and organizing pretty easy. Just stick them on the front of the can. Check them out at www.ammocanmagnets.com

I just use a sharpie marker.

Cleanup or remarking is simple with rubbing alcohol.

Dick's Sporting Goods has .50 Caliber ammo cans (brand new...not refurbished) for just $19.99...

Picked up 5 today...got 1 can free because of a Score Card coupon worth $20 when you spend $100...

I use to only find the GI Ammo Cans at local gun shows...but the pickings have been slim lately. Back in the day...a 50 Cal can went for $10....a 30 Cal can was $5.

Those days are gone...

Back