• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22LR ammo and my reloaded .45Colt ammo cost difference

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Gosh I am so grateful that I can cast and reload ammo. I am really fortunate that it is possible.

I was in Academy Sports yesterday and a 50-rd box of Winchester Cowboy Action .45Colt 250-gr lead RNFP was $44.00.

I'm casting and reloading 255-gr .452" Thors Hammers in used brass for about the cost of a CCI Mini-Mag.

Why do I want to build a gun in a caliber nobody else uses, and cast my own ammo for it?

It's like a disease. I think my eyes are starting to spin...

"It's a .47 caliber. I chose it because 47 is such a cool prime number; and being a prime, this slug can only break into irrational pieces."

Why do I want to build a gun in a caliber nobody else uses, and cast my own ammo for it?

Build one like... ohhhh say... .500x105 Nitro Express and have a blast.

No using a Lead Sled either...... That would only break the stock :)

Last edited:
Wow you guys are jaded. I really thought that .47 caliber would be good enough.

. . . But good enough is never good enough.

:p

Sorry, I misread what you said. When you said build a rifle in a caliber no one else uses I interpreted it to mean a completely brand NEW never before invented cartridge so I made up the .500x105 Nitro Express.

Hell yeah the .47-cal would sure be an amazing adventure! I believe I would stop at .416 cuz I am a recoil pussy.

Well, a .47 caliber could be a shotgun too kind of like a .410 on steroids.

Imagine a .47 caliber over and under with bird shot on the top & deer slug on the bottom.

I wonder if something like that would fall under curio rule if it had a really unique action & it was basically just a 2 bullet gun.

Who makes that shotgun with 3 barrels? Is that Stoeger?
Now there's a heavy idea. It's a SxS and o/u at the same time.

Or that semi-auto SxS with the dual tube mags? That looks like a winner.
I don't know who makes it offhand, but I saw Hickok45 shooting one and it looked pretty awesome.

speaking of 45 Colt though, it has to be one of my top 3 favorite revolver rounds ever , and the oher one is based on the LC....I love 45LC in a nice 3 screw Blackhawk

Since I got a SAA revolver ( a few years ago ) I have become pretty happy with shooting .45 Colt and cast lead boolits.

Love the THUMP while maintaining a gentle recoil.

Back