• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

38 Special Lead Hollow Point

terry2425

.270 WIN
DSCN0118.JPG

I've been experimenting with a 158 grain lead hollow point in 38 Special that is sub-sonic. I have a single cavity hollow point mold and finally came up with an alloy in soft lead that expands very nicely. It's 98 percent pure lead, 1 percent antimony and 1 percent tin. The cartridge is loaded with 3.1 grains of W 231 and has a velocity of 715 FPS from a 4 inch barrel.

Great round for a 2 inch 38 Special for concealed carry with very little recoil.

To the best of my knowledge, virtually all 38 special is subsonic. Even +P and especially 158's.

I really like the expansion of that lead pill.

Hi Terry.

Steven A. Camp wrote a lot of reports on the lead 158-gr SWHP .38-Special load. Have you ever visited hipowersandhandguns.com?

He was a really great guy and is missed by so many of us.

I like your results on the cast loads you are making. Great job!

I have .... finally come up with an alloy in soft lead that expands very nicely. It's 98 percent pure lead, 1 percent antimony and 1 percent tin. The cartridge .... has a velocity of 715 FPS from a 4 inch barrel.

Great round for a 2 inch 38 Special for concealed carry with very little recoil.

I see the pic is two years old. The bullets look like they were fired into wet pack or something similar, am I right?

Terry, that load would definitely recoil very softly from even a 2" J-Frame. Those probably hum out the barrel of a 2" revolver at around 650~680 or so depending on the individual gun.

So the velocity window you mention would wreck any hopes of mine that these slow 158-gr HP bullets of yours would ever expand with any consistency. My 2" J-frame revolvers when loaded with hand loaded ammo use 148-gr cast DEWCs going as fast as I feel safe to push them (850-ish fps), as I have no delusions that any hollow point bullet from a 2" .38-Special will expand. The Remington Express "FBI" round R38S12 also was a very soft lead alloy and had a HUGE hollow cavity but they were clocking a lot faster than <700-fps thru 2" guns. Remington loaded them to +P in order to get some semblance of expansion.

I look forward to more discussion with you about this ammo. Are you selling it thru your business? I'd love to shoot your 715-gr load thru four-inch revolvers all day long!!!

Again, thanks for a very good thread in the Ammunition section. It is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Nitesite, the bullets were shot into what I call "poor man's gel". Old computer paper soaked in water for several days. The bullet is shot through a jug of water into the soaked paper. Works pretty well. When I have a little time, I'm going to change the alloy and do some more testing for velocity and expansion. I would be happy to send you some sample rounds of the finished cartridge.

There is no leading, the bullet is traveling to slow. The bullet has 3 lube rings and I use a high quality bullet lube. After the bullet is sized and lubed in the Star lubricator/sizer, the bullet is dipped in a mixture of alox, Johnson's paste wax and mineral spirits and allowed to dry. So the bullet actually has two bullet lubes on it. Works very well.

Terry, I love the miracle of 45:45:10 JPW:LLA:MS mix. It works great!! I have boiled down several cans of JPW and then added the LLA and then at the very end some MS> Dries fast on the bullet and leaves practically no residue in the bore. Until I found out about powder coating this was my favorite way to tumble lube boolits!!

What you describe as a bullet trap medium is what I have always called "wet pack". It seems to give pretty consistent results.

Sample rounds? That would be most appreciated. I'm getting a new range built at my house and it would be fun to do a review of a few of them.

Back