• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715t feeding issue?

egglocsta

Copper BB
Hello I am a newbie here and had a question about my new 715t tactical. I am having an issue with my bolt locking back every few shots. It's not stopping at the magazine it is actually locking back all the way open. This is quite annoying as I wouldn't mind letting off a rapid fire. Does anyone know a fix for this to avoid dealing with Mossberg CS? I really love this gun it is very accurate and I love the weight of it. Any suggestions or experiences with this problem?

i had the same problem, it got worse the more i shot. i got ahold of mossberg and sent it back. the replaced the trigger housing assembly

not sure how i missed this months ago...buuuuttttt...it came back with that issue fixed but would not eject. it went back to mossberg for a second time and i have since sold it, although it seemed to be fixed.

Feeding issues can be a few things, usually it is ammo. Some guns like one type of ammo some like another you will find this in many guns not just this one.

The main thing you want to watch out for with auto loaders is the tip of the bullet. The way the gun works it relys on the shape of the tip of the bullet to function correctly. If you try and use a bullet that the gun wont work with you will have issues. I foud hollow point or a flat or blunt tip on the bullet can cause issues in MANY auto loaders.

I realize that most defense and hunting rounds are designed to fragment so the hollow point helps but this can also cause reliability problems.

Try a solid point round first, second try a high velocity round. The high velocity rounds have a little more kick and help new guns cycle better till they get broke in. After about 100-200 rounds and a few cleanings inbetween the gun should loosen up and work flawlessly.

The second common issue is the magazine, there are a few things with the magazine that can cause cycling problems with guns. I like to start with the mag half full till the mag wears in and the spring loosens up a little. The lips on steel magazines are sharp and they tend to dig into the rim on the rounds causing the round to hang up as the bolt trys to push it into the chamber. If these are sanded or polished this helps the round leave the magazine smooth.

Over time it can work itself out because the more you use it the more the rounds rub the mag lips and it eventually sands or polishes the rough spots out but brass is soft so its a SLOOOW process. I prefer to just skip this and do the fine detail work and have a fully functioning gun from the start.

If you stuff the magazine full the spring tension is so strong those top 3-4 rounds have so much pressure they are just GRINDING into the mag lips. With 5 rounds the spring tension is half that.

or there are a lot of these that need the trigger housing assembly replaced. it's a known issue to mossberg. they knew exactly what was wrong when i called them...

Yup, I need to send mine in. Mine was locking back after every round. Last week while I had it apart cleaning it I bent the metal tab that the bolt hold open latch catches on a bit more toward the left side of the receiver. I did this hoping that it wouldn't catch on it every shot but still be able to manually push it in to hold open. Now I can get 2 - 3 shots off between it locking back, so it helped a bit but didn't fix the problem. It also isn't very accurate. I have a 3-9x40 scope and at 50 yards I'll get a 6-8" group high right then after a reload get the grouping elsewhere like low or low left. This is from a rest. The packaging date on the box of my handle version was 7-8-13 so it's not that old and I've taken it to the range 4 times and put between 50-75 rounds through it each time.

EDIT:
I also had a lot of feeding issues at first, but loosened the feed lips on the mags (I have two 25 round and one 10 round) to allow the bullet to be able to tilt upward more as it comes out of the mag. This helped feeding into the chamber. The 10 round mag wouldn't feed at all at first. I found that there was an edge on each of the feed lips at the end that would cause the rim of the brass to get hung up on. I actually used a dremel and grind stone to "deburr" the ends of the feed lips. They all feed great now.

Now if I can just get the accuracy improved and the bolt holding open problem fixed, my 13 year old son (I bought it for him for his birthday) and I will be happy. I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 with a 4x Glenfield scope my dad bought me for my 16th birthday back in the early 80's. That rifle shoots anything you feed it with no problems and is at least twice as accurate as this 715t is currently.

speedyquad said:
or there are a lot of these that need the trigger housing assembly replaced. it's a known issue to mossberg. they knew exactly what was wrong when i called them...

Thats funny.

What else is left to replace? Thats like saying "they replaced the whole gun because its a known issue"

They didnt know what was wrong they just replaced everything because its quicker then spending alot of time trying to trouble shoot whats wrong.

You can bash the gun all you want people will still buy them no matter how much time you spend on this site trying to get people to stop buying them

I have 4 and they all work perfect. I wasnt expecting a $1000. gun for $250. i know anything i buy from walmart is a gamble. There still isnt a tactical .22 available under $250. no one will beat this price.

you can like it all you want, but the fact is that this issue still comes up.

"They didnt know what was wrong they just replaced everything because its quicker then spending alot of time trying to trouble shoot whats wrong." <- that is a problem.

it's great you have four of them that work properly. you had to work on some of them to get them to work right. why not hold mossberg responsible instead of giving them a free pass on not fixing the problem.

you and i have been down this road before. we are not going to agree. i don't care whether it is a $5 gun or a $5000 gun, $2 candy bar or a $2000 dollar meal, i want whatever i buy to be in a malfunction free condition when i buy it. i don't want to have to work on something before i enjoy it. that is what you are paying for. it's ridiculous to expect to work on something before you use it just because it is priced lower.

i have my opinion based on my experience with it. you cannot deny my experience just as much as i cannot deny yours. the difference is that i know there are fully functional 715t's out there, and is most likely the majority. unfortunately, you seem to fail to admit there are many out there that have the same problem and mossberg is doing nothing to address the issue, other than repairing the once that are returned.

so from here on out, i'll avoid you, you avoid me.

speedyquad said:
you can like it all you want, but the fact is that this issue still comes up.

"They didnt know what was wrong they just replaced everything because its quicker then spending alot of time trying to trouble shoot whats wrong." <- that is a problem.

it's great you have four of them that work properly. you had to work on some of them to get them to work right. why not hold mossberg responsible instead of giving them a free pass on not fixing the problem.

you and i have been down this road before. we are not going to agree. i don't care whether it is a $5 gun or a $5000 gun, $2 candy bar or a $2000 dollar meal, i want whatever i buy to be in a malfunction free condition when i buy it. i don't want to have to work on something before i enjoy it. that is what you are paying for. it's ridiculous to expect to work on something before you use it just because it is priced lower.

i have my opinion based on my experience with it. you cannot deny my experience just as much as i cannot deny yours. the difference is that i know there are fully functional 715t's out there, and is most likely the majority. unfortunately, you seem to fail to admit there are many out there that have the same problem and mossberg is doing nothing to address the issue, other than repairing the once that are returned.

so from here on out, i'll avoid you, you avoid me.

i agree completely, if i am going to pay my hard earned cash on a product for ANYTHING, i fully expect it to function and operate as intended and smoothly. if it doesn't meet my requirements, typically i return the item. i have had 2 types of malfunctions with my 715. stovepipes and fail to feed, neither of which do i fault the firearm itself for. the stovepipes i've had are mainly due to the recoil spring not being broke in. the fail to feed is due to the ammo itself. for what i paid for this gun, i can honestly say i am rather happy with it. 95% of the time she eats the crappy rem gold bulk ammo that im feeding it (all i can find currently) and is plinker accurate, what more could i ask from the weapon?

Ok ill agree it "should" but there are other other things we dont know about those with issues.

Golden bullet is a VERY defective and DIRTY ammo. Till you have shot other ammo i wouldnt rule out the ammo being the problem. Its alot easier and cheaper to try other ammo brands and types before you have to go threw all the trouble of sending a gun back. No one will return a firearm once the sale is over. So you HAVE to send it back to the manufacture.

This is from the manual:
"When the firearm leaves the factory, its metal parts are protected by a coat of very
adherent oil. This coating, especially inside of the barrel, must be removed before
using the firearm. The oil on the outside surfaces should also be removed when
the packing box has been open because the oil is very sticky and it easily retains
dust and other solid impurities from the air"

Was that done?

Also from the manual

"Load the magazine by inserting one cartridge at a time, pressing against the plastic
follower and rearwards until it is fixed between the lips of the magazine. Repeat
the operation until the magazine is full, or until the desired number of cartridges
have been loaded. The magazine should be loaded with .22 Long Firearm cartridges
only (Fig. 9). For best performance we recommend using Hi-Velocity
ammunition"

"With proper care, your Mossberg Intʼl.TM rifle will provide you with years of dependable
service. Your firearm should be inspected and cleaned after every 200 rounds
to ensure that it remains in good condition. However, unusually dusty, dirty, or
harsh weather conditions, or use of dirty ammunition which leaves significant powder
residue may necessitate more frequent cleaning. Clean your firearm as soon
as possible after use. This is especially important if your firearm has been exposed
to moisture"

Steel will rust quickly rust can cause issues in any gun.

The .22 round is a very finiky round its such a small round it can have a hard time with some auto loaders moving all that metal requires a decent amount of kick. Ive only had one larger give me a few hickups "hipoint"

I have 3 other guns i had issues with, walther SP22, sig mosquito, and a Chiappa 1911-22. They all had fidding issues, FTEs, jams. all .22LR they all worked themself out after about 200 rounds, the walther i had to send back and worked flawless till after the first cleaning. After i cleaned it i had issues. i was over tightening the barrel nut causing FTFs that was a tricky one to figure out took me months.

Chiappa cost me $250, the walther cost me $250, the sig cost me almost $400. Ide expect those to be trouble free specially the sig but they didnt. Im glad i stuck with them becasue i wouldnt sell any of them now. The Sig is my favorite .22 pistol i have.

SigMosquitometaltrigger_zpsff184bd3.jpg

Back