• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

If you go with Magpul furniture, remember you need to hog out some of the stock with a Dremel to be able to get the trigger guard out for cleaning without removing the stock. Your forend is fine, I kinda like the look. But if you get a hankering for the Magpul forend you can do it but you’ll need a new action slide which I found so I could put one on my 500.

Well another update, I know he is a true friend giving me the deal he did, I also trusted him and paid him before seeing the gun. So he brings the gun to me and right away a problem sort of that I will tell in a few. The gun looks brand new but of course only 10 rounds thru it, the scratch isn't there it was some white paint from his car door, not a single scratch on the gun. The receiver is the nicest inside with no scratches or small gouges you see sometimes. Now the sort of problem but not really, he said it was 18.5 barrel, it is not, it is a 20" barrel. So I gave $150 for a like new 20" barrel Maverick 88, I have to say that it is the nicest Maverick I have ever seen not a scratch no where, even the barrel end is nice and smooth with no roughness. So I will have to say i am more excited than I thought I would be. Thanks

Boomer, sounds like you got a perfect weapon.

There will be a slight increase in velocity from the 20 inch barrel over the 18.5 and a slight difference in the shot pattern at the same distances. But most folks will never see the differences.

Without seeing a picture of your new shotgun I'm not sure what configuration you have? Most versions with 18.5 barrels have a magazine capacity of 5+1 whereas some others with a 20 inch barrel have a longer magazine tube, almost the same length as the barrel, with a 7+1 capacity.

Regards

Last edited:
Boomer, sounds like you got a perfect weapon.

There will be a slight increase in velocity from the 20 inch barrel over the 18.5 and a slight difference in the shot pattern at the same distances. But most folks will never see the differences.

Without see a picture of your new shotgun I'm not sure what configuration you have? Most versions with 18.5 barrels have a magazine capacity of 5+1 whereas some others with a 20 inch barrel have a longer magazine tube, almost the same length as the barrel, with a 7+1 capacity.

Regards
It is the 7+1, I do prefer the 18.5 barrel but not gonna argue about that at the $150 price.

The length of pull on my stock Mav-88 is 14.25". I looked at the MagPul stock and even asked the question on their FAQ about what the actual LOP is, but all of the answers I got just quoted the length of the MagPul stock itself. If I'm going to invest just under half the cost of the shotgun on a stock to make it fit me better, I want to know that it's fit me better. The Hogue stock they have states "Length of pull 12" " . Plus it's less expensive than the MagPul. Any feedback on what these things actually accomplish as far as LOP would be appreciated. I'm tempted to just live with the existing LOP since it's for home defense and the occasional range visit for training. Thanks for your time. Sorry to beat a dead horse but a forum search just didn't get the answers for me.
IMG_5337_edited-1.jpg

The length of pull on my stock Mav-88 is 14.25". I looked at the MagPul stock and even asked the question on their FAQ about what the actual LOP is, but all of the answers I got just quoted the length of the MagPul stock itself. If I'm going to invest just under half the cost of the shotgun on a stock to make it fit me better, I want to know that it's fit me better. The Hogue stock they have states "Length of pull 12" " . Plus it's less expensive than the MagPul. Any feedback on what these things actually accomplish as far as LOP would be appreciated. I'm tempted to just live with the existing LOP since it's for home defense and the occasional range visit for training. Thanks for your time. Sorry to beat a dead horse but a forum search just didn't get the answers for me.
View attachment 30171
I have a Hogue 12 inch LOP stock on one of my 500s and it measures exactly 12 inches at the same point shown in your picture. I'm also running a Hogue forend made from the same material and happy with both. The shorter LOP does enhamce the guns use for close quarter & HD use.

I don't like or use Magpul stocks but that's a personal preference. I'm sure others can comment.

Regards

Thanks very much. That was just the confirmation that I was looking for. The Houge is considerably more reasonable than the MagPul version anyway.

Magpul doesn't list LOP because they have 4 removable spacers that allow for 5 different LOP, no spacer, 1-2-3 or 4. I bet somewhere on their website it lists min/max. If I get time later, I can measure mine and tell you.

Lol..I always thought the best part about a stocked weapon was the ability to change that length to anything you wanted with some judicious sanding of whatever material you had on hand or liked the look of, ie, wood, rubber, brass, bubble wrap, who knows, and a couple longer screws to reattach the butt cap. Have modern guns changed THAT much that you can’t make it fit your last good arm and shoulder?…

Thanks, Ernst, now I don't have to measure mine! Yep, that range should satisfy just about anyone. I love my Magpul stock. My only beef is you ahve to do some judicious sanding in order to take out the triggerguard without removing the stock. That's pretty inexcusable, IMO, for a product that has been around this long for a gun that has been around longer, but I got out the Dremel and fixed it and love it now.

Back