• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

940 JM pro - ejection failures (see images)

Sigrook

.22LR
I have had more issues with this 940 pro. Maybe it's time to trade it in and cut my losses, but I just keep coming back for more with this thing. Today I had nothing but stuck shells all day with failure to eject. I tried 7 different shells from birdshot at 1170 fps to Slugs at 1450 fps and all things in between with the same results. Failure to eject. I was using winchester, fiocchi, remington, jet, and federal as brands and it just didn't matter. The gun was cleaned about 100 rounds ago. see images of stuck shells.

When one did eject, I had feeding problems as well, where the live round wouldn't feed all the way and get stuck.

Any thoughts on trouble shooting this will be appreciated. I plan on diving in tonight for another cleaning and try again tomorrow. If I can't get this fixed myself then it's time to sell. I'm done with Mossberg's customer support.

Attachments

• 20231120_115639.jpg
    20231120_115639.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231120_120456.jpg
    20231120_120456.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231120_121150.jpg
    20231120_121150.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231120_121246.jpg
    20231120_121246.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 5
As an update. Upon a deeper cleaning (again) I realized the extractor was split and not working properly. replaced the extractor and now throwing shells 10' away.

On the next problem with failure to feed. had a few jams while feeding.

Sigrook,
If you take the barrel off and just drop a shell in, does it drop in easily using just gravity?
seems to be ok. the problem is more that it doesn't make it all the way up to the barrel. It gets jammed before then which means I have to take the charging handle back to then release again to get it to load

When you drop a shell in the ejection port and hit the bolt release does it put shell into battery? If so there may be something affecting the lifter.
If you load one in the magazine tube and run the charging handle does it load the shell into battery?

When you drop a shell in the ejection port and hit the bolt release does it put shell into battery? If so there may be something affecting the lifter.
If you load one in the magazine tube and run the charging handle does it load the shell into battery?
Tried it with snap caps and it worked fine for both scenarios. Will try with real ammo when I get back to a range

Let us know how it turned out with live ammo.
was finally able to try with some live ammo and it cycled through about 40-50 different types rounds or with no problem. about 3-4 different times when I would load the first round and release the charging handle, the load would get stuck. I would have to pull the handle back and release and all was good.

It appears that the round would be fed a little crooked and thus stuck on the edge of the barrel where it enters. Nothing while cycling, only when dropping the shell and releasing the charging handle. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

someone else mentioned the lifter. It may be called the carrier. Could it be that it’s not lifting the shell evenly as in one side of it is a little loose or something like that.
I would try one other thing too, when you charge the shotgun from the magazine with the empty chamber, have you tried yanking the bolt back real fast and let go and see if the speed makes any difference?

Sigrook,
The 3 or 4 loading issues could be caused by misalignment due to the loading procedure.
On my M930 I found that if I turned the gun on its side (receiver east/west) and dropped a shell in then hit the bolt release I would get a suck shell approximately 20% of the time. If I left the gun vertical (receiver north/south) and dropped the shell in then hit the bolt release all was good and the shell loaded 100% of the time.

Back