• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Attention Canadian Travelers: Have handguns, will travel? Parts?


.270 WIN
This relates to Canadians traveling to the USA with their HG.


Recently, the Liberal government implemented changes to the Import and Export Permits Act to temporarily "ban" the import of handguns in to Canada. This temporary measure is in place until and if Bill C-21 passes and receives Royal Assent, becoming law. Within C-21, the Liberals intend to "freeze" the market on handguns in Canada. Licensed owners who currently own handguns or buy new ones (hurry up!) will keep theirs and continue to use them at the range as they did before, but no new transfers will be allowed, effectively closing the handgun shooting sports to future generations, pending a change in government of course.


So what does this mean for you? Well, we've had a lot of questions from licensed sport shooters who travel abroad or down to the US with their handguns for shows or competitions. Taking your guns out of Canada hasn't changed , and owners will follow the existing method and framework they already do ... it's getting them back in that's the problem.

As of August 19, 2022, all Canadian importers will be required to present a valid import permit issued by Global Affairs Canada to a Canada Border Services Officer for restricted handguns being imported into Canada. If a restricted handgun is already registered in Canada, an import permit will be required in order to return the registered restricted handgun to Canada after August 19. It takes 24-48 hours (1-2 business days, excluding weekends and stat holidays) to process a duly completed import permit application for the return of a registered restricted handgun and requires the following items in order to be considered a complete application:

  • Form EXT1466;
  • A copy of the applicant’s Restricted Possession and Acquisition License (RPAL);
  • and a copy of the registration certificate(s) for the firearm(s).
An import permit will normally be issued by Global Affairs Canada to allow the owner to return the registered restricted handgun to Canada.

Furthermore, owners will need to apply each time they cross the border. Please note that import permits are generally valid for 29 days from the applicant’s stated date of entry into Canada (5 days before the entry date and 24 days afterward.) ** this information was provided to the CCFR by Public Safety Canada.

** this writer had to download a new version of Adobe to even open the application for import.

Here are some links they provided:

Notice to Importers No. 1090 – Temporary requirements for importing restricted handguns into Canada until the coming into force of the proposed amendments to the Firearms Act under Bill C-21 (international.gc.ca)

Import Controls and Import Permits (international.gc.ca)

Export and brokering controls handbook (international.gc.ca)

Now - many of you have written in asking about handgun parts. So here's the breakdown from Public Safety:

Moreover, the restrictions will apply to all restricted handguns, except for those classified as “antique firearms”, including the import of the frame or receiver of the affected handgun(s), as they are captured within the definition of “firearm” in section 2 of the Criminal Code. The restrictions do not apply to other parts and components, as they are not regulated, and on their own, do not fall within the definition of a “firearm.” However, any firearm part or component that is considered a prohibited device under the Criminal Code or is a part or component for a prohibited firearm will still require an import permit under the Export and Import Permits Act.

So basically, regulated parts that are defined as the "firearm" are banned from import, parts like grips, triggers, etc are not affected.