• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Autopsy of a Speed Ball Shell

This is a cut shell of the brand new Waterfowl load.

You can see the copper-clad M2v steel pellets clearly, as well as the actual "Speed Ball" itself. This ball is what helps accelerate the pellets to their insane speeds, without increasing chamber pressure like increasing powder content would. The Flax seed is used to seal the crimp, as well as hold the charge in place.

002-33.jpg

Thats pretty cool! Is there a speed ball load available for upland game? I'd love to try it out!

There isn't a SB load specifically for Upland yet. The closest thing would be the 3in #5 offering for birds like Pheasants and perhaps Grouse.

The two lines that are available are Hevi-Shot Pheasant, and my favorite, Hevi-Metal Pheasant.

Ahhh! That could work, I dont mind a #5, though we hunt quail mostly... it would be a little heavy for those.

I'd like to find some for pheasant though!!!

The Hevi Metal Pheasant load is a great all around load. I have used it to hunt pheasants along a river, and end up being able to jump shoot ducks as I worked the bank.

This is what the box looks like for HMP
013-9.jpg

For Quail, I use the Hevi-Shot Duck 16ga load of #6.

Sweet! I'll be lookin for those!

Is that HSD available for a 12 ga.? And anything in .410 with a fixed full choke?

Yes. Hevi-Shot Duck is available in 12ga. For the .410, I suggest a load called "Classic Doubles". They aren't as hard as true Hevi Shot, but are still heavier than lead. They are designed for fixed chokes, and older guns. Any local dealer can order them, or you may be able to order them online from Roger's,Cabela's,etc

Man, people are always re-inventing the wheel aren't they! I never would have thought a little rubber ball would accelerate the pellets to insane speeds. Awesome. Sounds like you're getting some remarkable results! Thanks for the good info.

No problem. We work hard to find every ounce of performance a shell has. It helps hunters get the job done with less shots, which in the end will cost less.

It works in two ways. The first is in the same way the Inertia Driven action of a Benelli shotgun, where, under recoil, the ball starts to accelerate in the opposite direction with the pellets before the wad takes off fully. This all happend in milliseconds. Then, being the fact that the ball is lighter than the wad, which flies faster than the pellets in itself, it accelerates the whole package down the barrel fasterm while not creating pressure spikes.

This helps create the 1,600+fps this load reaches, along with the special powder blend

under recoil, the ball starts to accelerate in the opposite direction with the pellets before the wad takes off fully.

I am not a physicist so please bear with me as I try to grasp this... Is this the "objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest" (Newton's First) Law? If I read your explaination correctly, the claim is that the ball and shot pellets remain in their exact point in space while the shotgun including the hull and wad are shoved back under recoil, and this allows the ball to then start to move the payload out of the crimped shell and enter the barrel thus "accelerating" it?

nitesite said:
under recoil, the ball starts to accelerate in the opposite direction with the pellets before the wad takes off fully.

I am not a physicist so please bear with me as I try to grasp this... Is this the "objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest" (Newton's First) Law? If I read your explaination correctly, the claim is that the ball and shot pellets remain in their exact point in space while the shotgun including the hull and wad are shoved back under recoil, and this allows the ball to then start to move the payload out of the crimped shell and enter the barrel thus "accelerating" it?

Yeah... Something like that. But with enough force to un-crimp the shell and begin entering the barrel. lol Either way I get the general Idea haha

It's more of an analogy for those familiar with the ID system. The idea is to see that the ball alone isn't just smashing up against the back of the pellets, as much as it is working with the wad as well to make the gains. The lighter components will want to fly faster, but only do so for a shorter amount of time.

Everything is set in motion after the powder is ignited and the wad starts it's journey. That hasn't changed. The gains here are in the neighborhood of 135fps over standard Hevi-Metal loads. The Ball only acts to speed the pellets after the crimp is opened by normal factors

Roger! Gotcha Tracker! I am still working all of it out in my little brain ;p

I will stick with the fact that it works and is proven! hahaha

No prob, my bad. I can see where the confusion could be had.

In two months I plan to hit the Early Woody season and show what this stuff is made of.

Back