• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cannot install barrel nut lock washer, any tips?

JCinPA

.270 WIN
At the range one day, I noticed the lockwasher that keeps the barrel bolt that screws into the magazine tube was backing off and I could not securely lock down the barrel. Someone with a needlenose pliers helped me remove it so the bolt no longer stays wtih the barrel when you unscrew it. It's not a big deal, but while ordering parts from Mossberg for other things, I ordered a replacement.

I cannot start that darn thing on the threads to save my life! Anyone who has replaced that thing have any tips for me? It's making me crazy, and I had to stop trying and walk away for a while. Thanks!

I just toss them...

But to reinstall them press the washer onto the back of the barrel lug with a socket of the perfect size, (I can't recall what fits). Then while pressing on the socket with one hand start threading the bolt in with the other. This worked for me before I just gave up using them.

Ah, that was my problem. They are not supposed to thread back on. Used a long 12 mm socket and a hammer, piece of cake. If it gives me any trouble in the future, I won't bother replacing it. Worked though!

With the 500 that thread is 7/16-20 (I think). Try that size bolt see if it fits--you might have gaga-ed the threads...

They really don't serve any function except making sure you don't loose the bolt when swapping barrels and I dunno how many times I've had them get wonky so to me they are more trouble than they are worth lol.

I think you're right. I only have it off when I'm cleaning the shotgun, how am I going to lose it? Well, it's on there now. If it gets out of whack again, I'll dispense with them.

I removed it already. This is a dedicated HD gun. It may be more useful with the combo, but I’m not gonna lose the bolt while cleaning.

Back