• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Center hold or 6 o'clock?

SheTookMyGuns

Copper BB
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the sights are designed to be center hold or 6 o'clock hold. Here's why I (frustratingly) ask.

My rifle seems to consistently shoot high. I've adjusted the rear sight "down" but it seems there is no way it can any lower to get my shots on target. I've been using center hold as it is my preference but I'm wondering if the sights were designed for 6 o'clock hold. Thanks in advance!

Welcome from MI!!

Looks like she left you one. LOL

Did you try it and see? Are you shooting a really light bullet? I have an '06 that gives me trouble with loads lighter than 180gr because Im out of adjustment.

You might be too close to the target. Some bullets like to go "up" before they start following a normal ballistic trajectory...

Ar15's are notorious for "rainbow" trajectory.

But all of the replies so far are possible.

A light bullet will also strike high usually too due to the higher velocity. Have you tried a heavy bullet in it?

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the sights are designed to be center hold or 6 o'clock hold. Here's why I (frustratingly) ask.

My rifle seems to consistently shoot high. I've adjusted the rear sight "down" but it seems there is no way it can any lower to get my shots on target. I've been using center hold as it is my preference but I'm wondering if the sights were designed for 6 o'clock hold. Thanks in advance!

that rifle should have plenty of adjustment to allow you to aim how you like, 6 oclock or a combat hold (center). Rifles usually aren't designed for any particular hold but allow plenty of adjustment to do what you like,now a pistol with no elevation adjustment is usually designed for a certain hold
If you are running out all your adjustment and not getting what you want then there are issues with your rifle regardless of grains being shot. While different bullet weights do affect POI vs POA , there will never be enough of a weight swing to make you run all your elevation adjustments out....just based on projo weight

Ar15's are notorious for "rainbow" trajectory.

All bullets, BB's, cannon balls are notorious for trajectory. actually the 556 more of a flat shooter than most things.

You might be too close to the target. Some bullets like to go "up" before they start following a normal ballistic trajectory...
?.....no bullet goes up. All bullets suffer from gravity as soon as it leaves the muzzle , the "up" travel is due to the barrel being pointed up but make no mistake is being pulled to earth......unless you know something else, for which I would like to add to my knowledge

?.....no bullet goes up. All bullets suffer from gravity as soon as it leaves the muzzle , the "up" travel is due to the barrel being pointed up but make no mistake is being pulled to earth......unless you know something else, for which I would like to add to my knowledge

I assume that's what he meant the bullet passing the sight plane once near the gun do to the angle of the barrel compared to the scope, and again as the bullet arcs back down.

I assume that's what he meant the bullet passing the sight plane once near the gun do to the angle of the barrel compared to the scope, and again as the bullet arcs back down.
well in that case we can change it from "some bullets like to go up" to "all bullets must go up" ....

Thank you all for your replies. I've been using 150 grain rounds so I might try heavier ones. I took it to the range today and it shot well when I used a 6 o'clock hold but I see your point that I should be able to use any hold I want and adjust the sights. I'll look into tjat

Back